Author Topic: JA-030 • Substitutions for the I-VI-II-V Chord Sequence  (Read 9774 times)

Offline maikerujon

• Good Vibes 0
Re: JA-030 • Substitutions for the I-VI-II-V Chord Sequence
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 04:41:54 am »
Hello,

In the section "Substitutions for the I-VI-II-V Chord Sequence", I understand that we can replace the G7 (V) with a D7 because D is the V of the key of G (example #3). However, in example #2, Justin says "Changing the A-7 to A7 because A is the V chord of the key of D". I understand that we are going to the Dm7 chord, however the V chord of the key of Dm is Am, not A. Does this mean that whether the chord is major or minor, it is used as a major i.e. V regardless if it is a major or minor chord

In other words, when I see the Dm7 do I think of the D Major scale and then get the V chord from there (A7), ignoring the fact that the chord we are heading to is Dm7, or do I think of the Dm diatonic chords (Dm - Edim - F - Gm - Am - Bb - C) and consider the dominant chord to always be major, not minor. I know it sounds like semantics, but I just want to get it straight how I am meant to determine what the V chord is.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App