Author Topic: tonemonsters?  (Read 2109 times)

radarlover

tonemonsters?
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
What do you guys think of the tonemonster pickups? The 8k neck pup is about right but man, the 16k bridge pup, whats that thing going to sound like compared to a classic les paul type tone?

radarlover

Re: tonemonsters?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:11:19 am »
c'mon guys, I value your opinions   :)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:37:53 am »
8k is already a bit more than you'd expect on a classic Les Paul.
16k is waaay to hot for classic/vintage specs, though not nearly as hot as some of the monsters i use : http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ZH-warpig.html .

When i'd think of classic Les Paul tones, i'd think of the neck somewhere in the 7k range, and the bridge a 9k at most.
Something like what you'd find in BKP's "vintage" range : http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/products.html

radarlover

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:22:56 pm »
Kinda what I figured. The neck would probably be cool but the bridge would end up being too hot. I think I am going to hold off anyway until my tube amp gets here and I get a little time under my belt. No sense in spending a bunch on pups only to find out later they are not what I want. Thanks Dan.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:50:18 pm »
Of all the things you could possibly alter about your guitar, amp and even your playing ability, the DC resistance of a pickup is the least significant.

DC resistance is more or less a makeshift concept that pickup makers use to "communicate" ( sell ) pickups to the masses that don't understand nor have the means to easily test pickups.

Interestingly pickups are an AC device ( alternating current = sound ) yet marketed by a number referenced to no signal passing ( 0 Hz resistance = no sound )

Imagine buying a car you've never seen and the dealer tells you it looks awesome in the dark!?

Pickup output is measured in Volts AC or rather mV. Very small ac signals. It's more complicated measurements are also the ones that really matter.

If all things were equal. Magnets, magnet wire, pole pieces, winding, potting, etc. Then DC resistance could be used as a general rule of thumb to get you in the ballpark but again there are a myriad of other things that make way more difference.

Pots, caps, strings, playing style, pickup adjustment, tone settings, amp, amp settings, using effects pedals, all that stuff makes a huge difference .

If all you wanted was more output to your amp and everything else was just like you want it... you could put a transparent boost between guitar and amp.
Gone

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:00:30 pm »
or turn your amp up :)

Offline Xaromir

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Coolthulhu
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:31:17 am »
 ;D Sorry TB, i just sort of have to do that now.

TB is talking sense though.
Some additional thoughts:
What would be nice now would be a good article about the sound of pickups,
i don't know a good one to be honest,
but should be quite a big but interesting read.
I got into that a bit some time ago, and it really is a huge topic if you want to get into that.

There is a LOT of stuff involved in what makes the sound of a pickup,
and component / number xyz doesn't guarantee sound zyx,
it's the whole thing that matters, from the magnet to the diameter and material of the wire,
to the windings etc etc.

If someone got anything good on that topic it would be most appreciated. :)
I guess this also could massively help rad, and actually everyone that is looking for pickups.
Persona non grata.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App