Author Topic: new humbuckers for an ibanez gsz-120 (budget guitar)  (Read 1883 times)

tomnicholson

new humbuckers for an ibanez gsz-120 (budget guitar)
« on: April 21, 2010, 02:55:28 pm »
I have an ibanez gsz-120, which i paid £129 for, a few years ago.  i've been playing for a few years so my ear has picked up the cheaper-ness of the pickups, and have been thinking about replacements.  the construction on my ibanez is amazing for a cheap guitar, always stays in tune and not cheaply made (although the wood i think is basswood / cheap).  i've had it through different cheapish amps (fender frontman 15, marshall mg15 (god awful) and now a vox advt 30 (superb).  hence the sound coming down to the humbuckers.

so anyway, the kind of tone i'm after is a good clean sound with maybe a little distortion, for example - i've been into peter green quite a bit for a while now, i realise that his tone came from out of phase pickups and stuff, but i want to get across i'm after a warm sound rather than a high distortion crunchy (modern) sound.  older blues and stuff.

I have a strat that i can play all my dire straits, clapton and hendrix on, but since i have the guitar i thought i'd look at the upgrade route (rather than buying an expensive les paul)

would there be any specific pickups people would recommend for this kind of tone?  any other advice or comments would be helpful too - tell me if i'm going the wrong way about this / barking up the wrong tree.

thanks for reading, apologies for such a long post!

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
Re: new humbuckers for an ibanez gsz-120 (budget guitar)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:42:10 pm »
Tom-

The Ibanez JEM7V has a Basswood body mate............. you'll pay £2200 for one of those ;)

You don't need to buy an expensive Les Paul, Tom. Just buy yourself a good and functional lower cost one. If you like Peter Green, these are very popular:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/20028-vintage-v100-icon-series-les-paul-style-lemon-drop-electric-guitar-peter-green-inspired-.html

Nice sounding too...... Dunno about the distressed look though; can't say it's my thing, but you may like it.

I know you asked about pickups, but they'll probably cost more than that guitar to replace and you still may not get the sound out of it that you want. One thing about Basswood is that it lends itself to more of a higher, trebly tone; whereas you'd probably appreciate the warmer, fuller tones of a mahogany bodied guitar.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:04:10 pm by Wishbone »

tomnicholson

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:14:16 pm »

cheers for the reply, checked up on the body of the ibanez, http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/GSZ120.  i'm pretty sure its basswood, and cos i didn't pay much for it i assumed it was a cheap wood to use for the body

might look into a les paul style guitar as you suggested, just a case of looking i guess, although i don't like worn finishes on guitars.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 01:24:18 am »
Your guitar is made of Poplar.
Ibanez catalogue i have here says so.

As for new pickups, most decent brands cost as much as the guitar itself.
Only brand i can think of that would be doable would be IronGear, but don't expect miracles to happen.
Good pickups aren't all that's needed to make a guitar sound good.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App