Author Topic: Filming Equipment  (Read 1525 times)

FunkyM0nk

Filming Equipment
« on: April 16, 2010, 01:05:43 pm »
Hey Justin, hello community!

I wanna upload vids myself, too. But I haven't got a camcorder yet. I've created this thread to ask around what equipment is needed to do vids that can compare with the quality of Justin's vids.

I want to do vids in HD quality, I think for that a 10-megapixel camcorder should do it (?), but, because I want to film myself making music, sound quality is an issue, too. I'm afraid a standard camcorder would overdrive if I played a little bit louder (especially while playing electric guitar).
Are there other things to consider before choosing a camcorder? Would be nice if you, Justin, could give a short statement on what epuipment you're using, and maybe a few tips which features made you choose your equipment =)

Have a nice day
Silvio

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: Filming Equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 01:19:22 pm »
For decent sound quality you will need either a camcorder that allows mic input or you'll need to record the audio with a separate device and edit the two together.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:31:25 pm »
I hope you have about $7K or so to get started if you want what Justin has.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but from your questions I think you would be better served by trying to figure out how to make a basic video with decent sounding video. The fact that a video camera microphone might distort if you play loud is not a shortcoming of the camera but rather a lack of knowledge on your part. You could buy a $10K camera and will still make a poor recording until you understand what is going on.

But a brief over view is that Just uses a Mac, Protools, a JVC camera, good lighting, nice microphones and I'm not sure what sort of mixer. Again, none of that will matter if you don't know how to use it. Learning how to use it can be done with much less and you will also learn what you really need or want and where to spend your money wisely.

Or... if you simply want to jump in I guess just post what your budget is and a general gear list could be figured out.

Gone

FunkyM0nk

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »
I didn't know wether Justin is using microphones or not, I don't know anything about filming/recording stuff, you got that right ;)

What I wanna do is just songs on acoustic guitar and sing along to it. I was hoping there is a camcorder out there that is up to this, if the video has proper audio and video quality (lets say in 720p and a nice audio track without any white noise and without distortion) I would be happy. I guess I was a little bit too optimistic with the phrase "compare to Justin's quality". I didn't want this to become my main activity. And I don't want to buy microphones and mixers and stuff, I haven't got the budget for those things, because if I'm purchasing microphones n'stuff, I would wanna use it maybe for a band and I don't wanna buy twice.

I'm looking forward to your feedback on this, my budget is 200 € (about 175 pounds) for a camcorder (and if your opinion is that everything without mic is rubbish, then this is the budget for cam+mic).

Greetings from Germany
Silvio

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 04:20:08 pm »
I would look into some free audio software for your computer and learn how to use the built-in microphones that come on most cameras. Granted, they are not the best solution but most people make it much worse than it really is by not understanding how they work. For instance Justin has made several good videos using just the camera. But he knows how it works. He knows where to place it and how to adjust the mic levels for it doesn't pick up a lot of background noise and so it doesn't clip the input.

Gone

Roger Marbles

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »
Wondering, camera aside, what lighting equipment was used to shoot the videos?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 02:06:06 pm »
He has constantly upgraded his lighting so there is a lot of variety. Not to mention where he is actually shooting.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App