Author Topic: English subtitles issue on Amara  (Read 1795 times)

Gloomy

English subtitles issue on Amara
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »
Hi,

I'm french, and I just started to translate a video, on Amara.

I just want to warn moderators : There's a lot of timesync job to do to improve the english subtitles :
Sentences are often splitted between multiple subtitles, and the splits are not well chosen.
It makes the subtitles quite harder to read.

Here's an example :

Now as usual, we're going to go
through and we're going to
pick them one at a time.
So we're going to do: strum,
pick out each note individually and strum.

As you can see, on the first subtitle, the linebreak is weird : "go through" shouldn't be splitted.
And it's the same problem with every 'subtitle break'.

Here's an example of a better timesync :

Now as usual,
we're going to go through
and we're going to pick them one at a time.
So we're going to do :
strum, pick out each note individually and strum.

(of course, timestamps have to be corrected too)

All the translations are based on these 'little-bit-incorrect' subtitles, that's an issue.
I guess that english subtitles are made with an automatic tool,
so you should consider to add tasks on Amara : english subtitles have to be corrected properly before any translation.

(of course, I'm not asking to redo every translation already done,
I'm just asking to consider this for the future ones.)

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
Re: English subtitles issue on Amara
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:06:38 pm »
Well, I'll bite as this looks like one of the transcripts I did (yes, I can tell from just a few lines. I'm weird like that).

First of all: these subs used to be one line each before Amara decided to change it so the text gets split into two lines. In your example, "go through" used to be on the same line. In fact, all of your examples used to be a singular line. Amara changed something in their system. So there's that. You can't blame the transcribers for that.

Second point: we do try to cut them off as neatly as possible but often we can't, especially now that the lines get broken off after a few short words. Justin likes to make long sentences and sometimes he loses his train of thought, which makes transcribing pretty hard. A lot of fun, but definitely not always easy. And it's impossible to make all of the subs so that they all have a full sentence or break at a neat moment. We keep them as neat as we can, but there's only so much we can do.

And lastly: the subtitles are not "little bit incorrect". They are fine. They get typed by a person (and yes I bite because I do a LOT of these so it's often my work you're seeing) and after that, they get checked by the person who made the transcript, then by a second person and one more time by Indigo before they are approved. But if you can do it better, by all means do so. No really, give it a go and see how much work it is. But just FYI: splitted is not an actual word.

Now before I'm accused of being a biatch, maybe I do react a bit too tensely. I'm quite good about receiving feedback. When we were all still figuring out how Amara works, everyone had their own style and the subtitles were all over the place. Some bad habits were addressed and we did exchange things to look out for. So if it's helpful, feedback is always welcome. But be reasonable about it. Some of us (including me) can't even count the amount of transcripts and/or translations we've done. Since our work does get checked, at least twice, I think you should try to work with what you've got. Or you can translate from scratch. You don't have to use the English transcript.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Gloomy

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:36 pm »
Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt anyone.

I did a few transcriptions and french translations for TV shows,
and splitting sentences is a pernickety job, I know it.

Sometimes, other translators tell me the exact same thing about my job,
this point determine the overall quality of a subtitle.

I discovered that the linebreak is automatic on the Amara video preview : there isn't any defined linebreaks in those subtitles.
Sorry for that, but actually, it brings another issue :
When the subtitles will be exported from Amara to Youtube, maybe they will need manually defined linebreaks.
It will keeps Youtube to auto-determine them, like the Amara preview do.

Again, sorry if I offended you, I can tell you spend a lot of time on this, and it's awesome.
"Little bit incorrect" wasn't the most appropriate term.
I should have said "little imperfection" : apart from that, everything is perfect.

And sorry for "splitted", I'm French.
And sorry for being French, I know we are a little bit irritating sometimes.

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:09:03 am »
One of my best friends is French ;) And I'm Dutch, we have a reputation ourselves. I didn't mean to go off like that. I'm sorry.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:53:52 pm »
Hellooo lovely people,

With regards to translations please see this link with updated guidelines:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/AA-031-Translate.php

Chantal you're amazing having done so many of the transcriptions for us, and with regards to the subtitles above, yes we did have some issues with the length of lines and this messed things up for a bit!

Now that the character length of the subtitles is back to normal, we can now have a little more control in where we split the lines and these are great suggestions Gloomy :) However, as much as it's great to make the subtitles read well in this way whilst transcribing! As we all know it's a lot of work ON TOP of the actual transcription and syncing work!! So when 'Reviewers' look through, this is what they should be checking for, and adjusting.

Thanks again guys for all your input :)

Cheers,
Indigo

Get The Forum As A Mobile App