Author Topic: back in black intro, help please  (Read 6684 times)

Tandyman

Re: back in black intro, help please
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 09:56:25 am »
I think you're leaving out a note after the bend.. Isn't it supposed to be:

|--3--0--------------------|
|--------3--0--------------|
|--------------2^3--2p0---|
    1   +  2   +  3  +   4  +

Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be missing a beat.

hully-gully

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 12:38:00 pm »
Tourniquet, yeah i know the timing is a bit off. Playing against a backing track i come in on time so that's not a problem.

I can play the lick quite fast now, but i still have to rush through those flick offs very quick to finish on the e chord. That's why i tried to steal a bit of time by coming in early, but to the purist and those who know this song well its noticeable.
Ok its practice and practice. I have never had so much trouble on a short lick.

Tandyman. The note after the release bend is the flick off, i do play that but maybe its not to noticeable

Offline Carl

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »
|--3--0----------------------|
|--------3--0----------------|
|--------------2^3r2p0------|

that's how i played it, Angus Young plays it like this too (when playing live at least)
check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7pptDOqlA at 0:28 and 1:19, watch his right hand

sorry i didn't reply to your message, haven't entered the site in a while :P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:38:30 pm by Carl »

Offline tewky

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 06:27:48 pm »
Listened to the last sample of the 3 listed.

What I heard is in the descending lick your notes are off differeing lengths. THe Hammer offs are too quick, the 3 to 0 on both strings is coming in too early. The lick is to my ears split into 7 equal notes.

My advice on learning this lick, and how I did it, was start super slow, pick every note of the lick, and count the notes off when you play them. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. Get it down slow, but make sure each note is the same length, keep doing it slow, maybe half speed. Do that for a whole day, dont speed it up, you will try but dont labour too much, the habits will stick. Then just keep picking it out untill it is second nature. Then once it is natural you will be able to speed it up a lot very quickly, because your fingers already know the lick and timing.

Then when you have got the lcik going good picking every note, you can start to try out the pull offs, work on letting the first note ring a little longer. but try to get upto speed picking the lick, then when you try ull offs it will be a bit more easier, because you are picking every note up till that point, so the freedom of pull offs gives your picking hand some rest, and makes the lick easier to yourself. When you start to put in the expression, slow it down again make sure you get the notes to go right length with pull offs.

Its a good tip for any stuff for me anyways, learn the notes, then when that is good, start to add expression of those notes.

Keep battling :)

tewky
Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2014 Honeyburst
Line 6 Toneport UX2
Vox Adio air modelling Amp
Guitar Rig 5
Ableton Live

hully-gully

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 10:15:11 pm »
Great advice tewky.

That made a lot of sense. I am still working on it, and its getting closer.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 10:58:12 pm »
Another 3 hours or so practicing this lick, Its getting there :)

http://www.4shared.com/audio/oYfItOob/ac_dc_back_in_black__live__int.html

It's getting there but your still coming in too early with the pick flick, pick flick and bend.  This was hard for me.  I have this song down finally after 8 months.  The solo is a whole other kettle of fish though.  This solo makes the Shoot to thrill one look easy.  This is one mother of a solo. 

Backing tracks that I like to use are;

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/ac_dc/back_in_black.htm

I use the KM player to slow it down when I first started but now I play it up to speed.  Go to and take a look at Solo Dallas's Back in Black for the timing as it's really excellent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHnPvsjBSDU

Licksnkicks

Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

hully-gully

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 11:24:54 am »
Thanks licknkicks.

Wish you hadn't mentioned the solo. Am dreading that now ;D

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 03:22:17 am »
Thanks licknkicks.

Wish you hadn't mentioned the solo. Am dreading that now ;D

Just another challenge to be hurtled and I'm sure your up for it.  I have been working on it for 6 weeks or so.  It's very frustrating but just take it really slow.  You will get it.  I'm sure.

Lnk
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Get The Forum As A Mobile App