Author Topic: Which camera did you use for the AC/DC Shoot To Thrill Video?  (Read 2788 times)

Tigger

JVC?

Anyway it is easily the best video you've made as far as production quality goes.  Nicely done.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
Re: Which camera did you use for the AC/DC Shoot To Thrill Video?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:01:31 pm »
yep - the JVC is really xx--xx good quality.

Now that I have got it all figured out I'm loving it!

Yes now you deserve an "I told you so" moment ;)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:21:34 pm »
Hey Tigger

I've got a small bug that I can't sort out.

When I come in to do close up shots, sometimes the focus seems to grab at something else and if drifts in and out of focus, only a little bit mind, but I'm wondering if I can set it so it's always focusing on the centre point of the viewfinder, or if I can slow the time it takes to re-focus or something...

We both know the quality is great, but this would help it be even better.

Also having problems with the lapel mic and cam mic volume levels - camera is showing clipping even at levels that are -12db on FCP - and still I am getting clipping on the lapel - and just quiet on the cam mic...

know anything about the ev112 wireless system?

Cheers dude, J.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Tigger

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:45:45 am »
Hey Tigger

I've got a small bug that I can't sort out.

When I come in to do close up shots, sometimes the focus seems to grab at something else and if drifts in and out of focus, only a little bit mind, but I'm wondering if I can set it so it's always focusing on the centre point of the viewfinder, or if I can slow the time it takes to re-focus or something...

We both know the quality is great, but this would help it be even better.

This sounds lot like you're using automatic focus mode (AF in left of viewfinder) and that the auto-focus is getting a bit confused over which part of the picture to use.  I'm not really surprised by this during close ups - if the auto-focus uses high frequency information in the picture then frets and strings with their sharp, clean lines would be favourite so it would probably go for the area that's reflecting light where-ever that may be.

The most obvious solution is to briefly switch to manual focus (AF/MF button - there is also a focus aid which can be toggled on), but this means you need two people to do the shoot (maybe you do anyway?).
One way to improve the auto-focus might be to switch the camera into manual shooting mode (press full-auto button for a M at top of viewfinder) you should now be able to adjust the F-number.  Increasing the F-number (press IRIS button and tweak ADJ/VOL knob) will increase the amount of 'background' that is also in focus, but it will make the image darker so you'll likely need to tweak gain or your lighting too.

Also having problems with the lapel mic and cam mic volume levels - camera is showing clipping even at levels that are -12db on FCP - and still I am getting clipping on the lapel - and just quiet on the cam mic...

know anything about the ev112 wireless system?

Cheers dude, J.

This sounds like a classic mic/line gain mismatch to me.

I've googled for this model and couldn't find anything that matched ev112, my next best guess of Elecro-voice gear didn't work out so the only other thing I can think of is a Sennheiser EW-112-p.

These can output up to +10dBu.  This being the case, when you plug the receiver output into the XLR of the camera make sure the audio input switch for that channel on the XLR block of the camera is set to LINE.  If it is set to MIC or MIC+48 I would expect the problem you describe.

If not that...you need to check down the chain starting from the mic transmitter and going towards the camera.

The SENSIT menu of the Sennheiser transmitter should be set so that only the loudest talking causes the yellow AF Peak led to light.
The AF Out menu of the Sennheiser receiver allows you to set the receiver output level.
The camera has an Audio Ref level setting try -20dB if it's at -12dB - (if it's already -12 changing it will probably make the problem worse but try it anyway).
The audio input level adjusters of the camera are up on the XLR block also.  Switch the audio level meters on listed as MIC LEVEL METER in the menu and give those a tweak.

That all I can think of for now - good luck, hope this helped.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »
Cheers Tigger.

So... understand the issue about the AF and that is almost certainly what is happening.

I am on my own but quite close to the camera, so could actually reach and fiddle the manual focus and just make sure I stay on the same plane...

Q: would be there be any difference in being distant and zooming in, or getting closer?

Audio problem.

I had it a bit mixed up. I have the Sennheiser EW100 G3 - dunno where I got the 112 from.

The line level issue is exactly what my mate said who does audio for filming (for a living) he was well confused that it was on mic setting.

So I've just had a play, and on mic pack setting the SENS to -12 it only clips (yellow light) if I really talk loud.

The receiver I have set to AF Out to +12 and set the camera volume to LINE and max volume (10).

It still looks clipping in the camera meter.

Tests show that in FCP the level reaches a pissy -18db maybe -15 when I'm loud - but camera is showing clipping!!!

I found : Audio Ref level in the camera and switched it from -24 to -12 but that seems to have done very little either... well a bit, a couple of Db, but it's still v quiet...

At least with the line level there is no clipping but it's very quiet!

This still needs sorting, but while I am on it - Squelch - WTF is that all about? ;) low med or high?

Thanks again, J.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:17:26 pm »
Technically speaking, Squelch should only be associated with output signals not input - Squelch is a noise gate that filters out the "shhhhh" coming out of a reciever (eg a radio) to a speaker (or a reciever to some other output device).

The only reason I can think why a camera would have a Squelch setting is if it is capable of receiving a signal from a wireless mic??

Could be they have bastardised the meaning of Squelch - but even if they have it should still relate to noise...
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Tigger

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:30:25 am »
Back in the office today so I've grabbed some gear and done a few tests.

Cheers Tigger.

So... understand the issue about the AF and that is almost certainly what is happening.

I am on my own but quite close to the camera, so could actually reach and fiddle the manual focus and just make sure I stay on the same plane...

Q: would be there be any difference in being distant and zooming in, or getting closer?

You MAY get a slightly better result if you move the camera back a bit and zoom but it's unlikely.  You need to make the subject the most interesting part of the shot from the cameras perspective - i.e well lit compared to say the background.

I also ran this by one of the other engineers and he suggested manual focus or increasing the F-Number as I did in the previous post.

Audio problem.

I had it a bit mixed up. I have the Sennheiser EW100 G3 - dunno where I got the 112 from.

The line level issue is exactly what my mate said who does audio for filming (for a living) he was well confused that it was on mic setting.

So I've just had a play, and on mic pack setting the SENS to -12 it only clips (yellow light) if I really talk loud.

The receiver I have set to AF Out to +12 and set the camera volume to LINE and max volume (10).

It still looks clipping in the camera meter.

Tests show that in FCP the level reaches a pissy -18db maybe -15 when I'm loud - but camera is showing clipping!!!

I found : Audio Ref level in the camera and switched it from -24 to -12 but that seems to have done very little either... well a bit, a couple of Db, but it's still v quiet...

At least with the line level there is no clipping but it's very quiet!

This still needs sorting, but while I am on it - Squelch - WTF is that all about? ;) low med or high?

Thanks again, J.

I got hold of a Sennheiser EW100G2 set which is near identical to yours.  No intention to patronise you, but as you're having issues I'm going to lead you by the hand here:

Part A - Setup)
1) Power on both Transmitter (Tx) and Receiver (Rx).  (Confirm mute switch on top of Tx is not set to mute if fitted)
2) Enter the DISPLY menu or both units and and set to FREQ.
3) Exit Menu and confirm the frequency of both is absolutely identical.  (for the record mine are set to 839.100 MHz (Bank 1) but yours are likely different as it depends what band your set are).  If not use the BANK menu to set both to BANK 1.  Confirm Frequencies.
4) For Tx enter SENSIT menu and set to --00dB.
5) For Rx enter AF OUT menu and set to LEV+00.

Part B - Test)
The Rx should have a solid green RF light (confirms good radio reception).  Rf meter in LCD should be maxed.
AF meters on both units should respond to your talking into the mic.
The Tx should only light the AF PEAK light momentarily during loudest sections of your talking (B's P's etc).

Now connect to the camera DOUBLE/TRIPLE check the correct channel input switch of the JVC is set to LINE - in fact set both to Line just to be sure.

Bootstrap is right about the squelch - it's just there to remove white noise from the output if weak RF levels are being received.  Set it to LO for your purposes.

Let me know how this goes.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 11:37:43 pm »
Still not got all that sorted yet - but will be hitting the videos big time when I get back from tour (not taking the JVC on the tour).

Thanks Tigger!

davme_mcreg

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:29:18 am »
Still not got all that sorted yet - but will be hitting the videos big time when I get back from tour (not taking the JVC on the tour).

Lol. I could see bad things happening if you did.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App