Author Topic: pup wiring help please  (Read 2552 times)

radarlover

pup wiring help please
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:20:34 am »
Ok here is the deal. I bought a humbucker pickup last week so I could upgrade my toss around Yamaha EG112C. I got the pickup today and just now tore down the guitar in anticipation of soldering the new pup in. Well the old pup has a red and white lead and some bare wires. The bare wires and white lead go to the pot and the red lead goes to the selector switch. The new pup has red, black, white, green and bare leads. THe green and bare are soldered together and the other 3 are spiraled together. It is a used Suhr SSV+ humbucker if that matters. I dont know which way to turn in finding a schematic for wiring it up. I am going to look on the Suhr site to see if I can find anything. I am thinking that the red, white, black go to the pot and the green/bare go to the selector but I dont want to fry an 80 dollar pup if you know what I mean. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
I am an industrial electrician and I thought this would be a snap.   :-[

radarlover

Re: pup wiring help please
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:05:15 am »
Ok after reading a bit on pickups I see that my assumptions were wrong. I did cut into the jacket of the old pup cable and indeed it is shielding wire and a red and white lead. I have to do more reading before deciding what to do.

radarlover

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:24:39 am »
Done deal! Got it wired for standard humbucker and put it back together. MUCH better tone out of the humbucker, even with the stock pots. Had to keep it quiet since its past 11 here but that baby is going to scream! Now I am glad I put 80 bucks into a 50 dollar guitar.   ;D

radarlover

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:27:46 am »
Btw, it was the symour duncan site that bailed me out. Very nice wiring diagrams for a bunch of different setups.
In my particular case it was the red and white soldered together and taped off, the black to the selector and shielding/green grounded to the back of the volume pot.

rolling56

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 11:42:39 am »
Talking to yourself?  ;)

yes Seymour Duncan's site does have very nice wiring diagrams.

radarlover

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:12:51 pm »
Talking to yourself?  ;)

yes Seymour Duncan's site does have very nice wiring diagrams.

LOL thats sure how it looks huh? I have been wating for that pup for a week and when it got here yesterday I could hardly wait to change it out. I now see what you guys mean about the pots though, they look really cheap. It was also hard to get a dedicated switch position for the humbucker. I had to move a few things around to get it as a stand alone on one setting. Everyone is asleep or I would be waking the neighbors with all sorts of loud sounds.
Oh, and comparing the two pups(the one I replaced and its replacement) was no contest. The Suhr pup was much heavier and well put together. In the future I plan on replacing the singles, the pots and the selector switch.

rolling56

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 12:31:23 pm »
What is your location? SW Missouri,USA here. To early to plug in here too is why i asked.

I bought a set of Tele Quarter Pounder Seymour Duncans for a cheap MIC Tele guitar i have here.

I could not find my soldering iron to save my life and went to 5 of my neighbors asking if they had one.

Ended up having to buy another soldering iron to install them lol

Bob

radarlover

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:36:56 pm »
Southeastern New Mexico here. I have 2 soldering irons at work, a butane and an electric but never had a reason to have one at the house, until yesterday. All the soldering I had ever done was with a torch and silver/gold/platinum. It would have fried my brain if I had sat down with 3 pups last night lol. I now feel a lot more confident to make other changes though.
My Yamaha EG112 might end up sounding better than my AES720 lol.

rolling56

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:47:03 pm »
ya your an hour or 2 diff from me so really early there.

I've had that soldering iron for 40 years or so now. It's survived 4 moves but i have no idea where i put it this last move........

radarlover

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 11:03:27 pm »
Now that yolu had to buy another one it will turn up   :P

radarlover

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:56:05 am »
After spending a little time with the guitar today I really like the pup. I now know what people mean though about the substandard tone pot. I dont think the volume pot hurts anything as it doesnt make noise and does its job ok. The tone pot definitely leaves something to be desired. Well worth the effort though. Its funny, I can throw this little 50 buck guitar around and have a blast with it without worrying about banging it on anything or hurting it. There is a lot of freedom in that.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 03:46:30 am »
what is it that is lrft to be desired about the tone pot?
Gone

radarlover

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:53:52 am »
I cant put my finger on it but it seems instead of changing tone it kind of mutes it if that makes any sense. Somewhere in the middle is a nice balance of crispness without biting but after that is just seems to take all the brights and at the same time it seems to also mute the lows. On the other end its very bright and tinny. This is in all positions, not as bad with the new pup but still there. It has a 500k tone pot and a 500k volume pot. I dont know if I am explaining correctly.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App