Author Topic: quick question about pup placement  (Read 1492 times)

radarlover

quick question about pup placement
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:33:25 pm »
Say I have a pickup I want to change out, how do I know which way to place it or does it even matter? The one I am going to change out is a humbucker with one row of screws and one row of standard poles, any specific way to tell how to face it or does the wiring make it apparent once I open it up? Thanks for the info once again   :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: quick question about pup placement
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:45:32 pm »
Yes, it makes a difference. The screws are the actual "pickup" part.

Gone

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:18:42 pm »
Generally the screw poles are closer to the neck in a neck pickup and closer to the bridge in a bridge pickup.... but it's not uncommon to try them backwards to seek a slightly different sound.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:35:28 pm »
To expand a little on what Tourni said as a point of interest (and 'cos I took a couple of days off, giving myself a six day break over the Easter weekend and I'm getting restless already) :

I'll generalise a little for the sake of expediency and just refer to humbuckers, for the moment, as being those designed like Evo's or Hot Slags; two coils, uncovered with a row of plain poles and a row of screws.

Anyway.............

There are two coils: One is the 'Slug' coil and the other is the 'Screw' coil; one has slugs for poles and the other has screws; Geddit? Generally, you'll find that they're designed for their respective positions with the screws being on the outside; ie.... closer to the neck and bridge, respectively.

This is by no means a hard and fast rule, though. Different humbuckers are built to different specs for different applications. As there are two coils in each pup, their individual outputs can be either matched or vary according to their respective specification. These can be either 'Symmetrical' or 'Asymmetrical' coils. As you can imagine, these differences present us with a whole lot of tonal variety to choose from in our quest for 'that' sound.

If you're splitting the coils, you may prefer to split off the slug or screw coil, depending on their different outputs and tones on their own. You could find that switching the coils around gives you the better sound to your ears. As I said: lot's of tonal variety.

For your own purposes, start with the humbucker in a 'traditional' position first. You're more likely to fit it in the way it was designed to be fitted that way.

radarlover

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:40:23 pm »
Cool, that gives me a lot of info, thanks guys!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App