Author Topic: Stock Yamaha pickups to Suhr humbuckers  (Read 2485 times)

radarlover

Stock Yamaha pickups to Suhr humbuckers
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:15:14 am »
I was thinking of replacing the stock pickup on a Yamaha 112 I have to something like a Suhr humbucker like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Suhr-SSV-Humbucker-Electric-Guitar-Bridge-Pickup-White_W0QQitemZ110492470837QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item19b9dd4e35

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Suhr-SSV-50mm-Bridge-Humbucker-Pickup-Nickel-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ360240467335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item53e0014d87

What could I expect? Now granted this is just your basic starter guitar but I have found myself being able to set it lower than my aes without buzz and since it was a steal I can bang it around and learn on it without threat of hurting something pricey. Would you guys put a 100 dollar pickup in a 50 dollar guitar? Thanks for any feedback I can get.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: Stock Yamaha pickups to Suhr humbuckers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 08:24:54 am »
If the guitar is comfortable and plays well you've won half the battle, Ignore the value of the guitar, if the new pickups give you the sound you're looking for it's worth doing (keep in mind that you may benefit from an all round electronics upgrade, not just pickups)
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

radarlover

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:01:18 am »
it is comfortable and although it has some cheap hardware the guitar itself is actually made rather well. I dont know if I would have to modify the body to accept the nickel plated humbucker but the white one would look identical to stock and probably be a big upgrade.
I did lie about one thing though. I messed with all the action on all 3 and the AES was able to get a quite a bit lower than the EG without any buzz. All 3 have what I would call low actions and it does make it easier on my panzy fingers.
What other upgrades are you referring to? Pots, wiring? selector switches? The pots seem fine and are not scratchy or touchy in any way. Looking at the neck of this guitar I am hard pressed to find where it was played much at all.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 10:06:35 am »
What other upgrades are you referring to? Pots, wiring? selector switches? The pots seem fine and are not scratchy or touchy in any way.

that's the stuff. you may find better quality electronics offer additional improvements to tone
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

radarlover

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 10:19:56 pm »
If I were to put a good pickup on it, would it be offset by the stock electronics? My main purpose is to give the guitar a quality sound on the bridge pickup, I dont know if I am ready to get into the pots and other stuff. How hard to tear into that stuff and redo?

radarlover

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 03:16:44 am »
Anyone know what the difference is between the 2? They are both listed as humbucker but the one has a nickel cover. Is it just asthetic or does the cover serve a purpose?

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:14:33 am »
Covers are mostly aesthetics, but they do change the tonal characteristics of a pickup.
Most companies compensate for the difference though, so it shouldn't matter to you, beyond whichever one you think looks better.

One hint though, if you're going to replace pickups, do some proper research first.
Output differences can cause issues with volume drops/rises when switching between pickups, and since there are hundreds of different pickups out there from different brands, it helps to look for soundclips.
Some brand suggestions : Iron Gear pickups, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Lollar, Bareknuckle Pickups, Lace, Kinman, EMG (wouldn't use these unles Metal is your only choice of music), Bulldog pickups...
And the list goes on.

radarlover

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 07:55:32 am »
Thanks, you are right, just throwing a new pup into the guitar is kind of silly. I need to do some solid research before I dive in. Thanks to all who responded.   :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App