Author Topic: TR-202 • Transcribing Blues in any Key  (Read 12348 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
TR-202 • Transcribing Blues in any Key
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:39:41 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:08:33 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

strapp75

Re: TR-202 • Transcribing Blues in any Key
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:38:01 am »
Hi Justin,

I don't want to use them now, but it looks like the links to check the song's key doesn't work.

rolling56

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:58:21 pm »
Hi Justin,

I don't want to use them now, but it looks like the links to check the song's key doesn't work.

yes it does but it's kinda hidden  ;D

strapp75

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:32:16 pm »
Lol...ok, i found it. Damn....i thought it wasn't working.  ;D

LESbum

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:58:22 am »
This lesson is kind of a curveball.  It was posted in the Intermediate course, but we never learned the 5-fret pinkie stretch required for these tunes.  Difficult without any guidance on technique.

Offline the_gullwing

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:42:31 pm »
Hey guys! I'm quite sure there's something wrong with Justins answer to "Before You Accuse Me - Eric Clapton"

************Don't read it cheaters!!!*********************

According to the record on the link below, this one is played in the key of A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sWlymAsKQw

But actually this one is in E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBDWM_ZeD9U&feature=related

I suppose proper info should be included in that particular 'lesson task'.
Correct me if I'm wrong

Greetings from Poland
Building the future and keeping past alive are one and the same thing

Diesel McGunner

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 01:37:00 pm »
Hi, I was referred to this lesson but the songs for IF2 lesson, but I don't really understand a lot of the things in this one. Have these been explained in the beginners course? I'm sure I've done them all up until this one but I wouldn't think Justin would tell people to go to a lesson they weren't ready to do, given his attitude of mastering one thing before moving on. I remember a couple of lessons on 12 bar blues in the beginners course but they didn't explain all of these things. He's talking about finding the key and things and I'm sure I haven't done that.

Have I missed an important lesson somehow? Was there a lesson on working out the key of 12 bar blues and if so, where is it? I'm really quite stuck with this but I'm trying to do some recommended transcribing for each stage.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 03:35:04 pm »
Have I missed an important lesson somehow?

Read the first sentence in TR-202 instructions. Click on the part in red.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TR-202-12BarTranscribe.php
Gone

Diesel McGunner

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 06:12:21 pm »
Ah, that wouldn't load before, so I forgot about ever having clicked on it. Sorry.

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 06:22:07 pm »
Where can I get more guidance on this part of the course? I'm been hopelessly wrong on every song.

The notes and chords transcribing was no problem at all. Pretty straighforward. But I have no idea where to start with these blues songs. I play what sounds the right key on my guitar but it's the wrong answer every time. Might as well be guessing randomly.

I've no more songs to practice on either. It's ok to recommend working out other songs by those artists but what's the point if I've no idea if I'm right or not.

Bit fed up to be honest.

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 05:35:18 pm »
Think I'm gonna have to give up on the idea of transcribing 12 bar blues. Just found a few more exercises and got those wrong too. The frustrating thing is that I nailed the notes and the power chords.

A few video examples of how you go about working it out would have been nice. The lesson notes don't really give any pointers at all.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 174
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »
Bug What exactly are you having trouble with. A 12 bar blues usually contains only 3 chords the I  IV  V.

If the song is in the key of E the chords would be E(I)  A(IV)   B(V)

Have you done Justin's Blues Course? It would be a great help in transcribing the Blues.   

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 08:15:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply Stitch. Sorry about the delayed response - got demoralized and lost my mojo for a while.

I've done half of the blues course, certainly the "12 bar blues in every key" lesson. It's hard to say why I'm struggling with this so much. I tried two fresh blues songs today and got both those wrong, then moved onto the pop & rock transcribing lesson (TR501) and nailed three songs in quick succession.

It might have something to do with the fact that the I, IV, V shuffle just sounds "right", even if it's in the wrong key. So if I play an A shuffle in an E song it still sounds half-decent.

Also I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be playing - the powerchord, just the bass note or the full thing with the little finger joining in?

I've been enjoying the rest of the transcription module. I'm curious to know if anyone else finds this the hardest part of the the transcribing course or whether I'm unique in suffering from a peculiar form of blues-dyslexia.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 174
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 09:50:41 pm »
Just give the blues a rest for a bit. If the pop/rock is easier for you it will help develop your ear and inturn
help you with the Blues.

got demoralized and lost my mojo for a while.
Some time changing to something different will help keep your mojo alive.

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 08:03:33 pm »
Just give the blues a rest for a bit. Some time changing to something different will help keep your mojo alive.
That's good advice. It's the first time I've hit a wall on this course. The cure, even though I don't like quitting, was to just move on. Better than getting hung up.

Thanks for the replies.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App