Author Topic: TB-030 • The CAGED System Video  (Read 14035 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
    • justinguitar.com
TB-030 • The CAGED System Video
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:25:10 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:28:30 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Rock_N_Roll_Star

Re: TB-030 • The CAGED System Video
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:16:24 am »
Hey Justin. Was wondering if you could help me. I'm a little confused on how to you want us to fill out the Chord finding Method sheet. There are all these boxes of 5 frets then the one with 13. Is that so we can find the F chord on the 13th fret? If so, why are there more boxes afterwards? Also I don't understand what the (Chord Equation = _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Key is _ so notes = _ _ _ _ _ _ _) is for. Pulling my hair out trying to understand. The answer is proberly sticking out like a sore thumb but I can't see it :(
Maybe you could upload a completed chord finding method pdf for me so I can understand?? Then i'll do the rest of the work to find other chords.

thanks
from

Ian

Offline Darka

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:31:40 pm »
There are full instructions for how to use this in the http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-010-RUGS1-PMT.php product, which is excellent by the way - highly recommend it!

Ibanez Prestige SV5470F | Ibanez RGR321EX | Blackstar HT-5RH | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
tc electronic - polytune | flashback delay | BOSS - RC-3 Looper

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 04:04:30 pm »
How important is it to learn all the CAGED shapes ?

I learnt the A and E but the rest are difficult. Can I get by without them or would you say they are a must learn?

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 04:50:43 pm »
Agreed that some of the shapes can be really challenging (try playing A major as a G shape), but the thing is the CAGED shapes are often used smaller than the whole shapes. Often people will use the top 3 strings or strings 2-4 to make little triad shapes. They help to add variety, especially in situations with more than one guitar player. All these triads are based on CAGED shapes. Justin has a lesson on this in the IM:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-151-TriadGrips.php

So you may never play D major using the full C shape, but you will almost certainly play it on the B, G, and D strings as a triad.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 05:40:32 pm »
It depends on how far you want to take your playing.
Most music isn't that complicated and can be played with open chords, E and A shaped
barre chords or power chords.

If you want to learn inversions and alternative ways of playing or instrumental finger style
then it would be to your advantage to learn all of them and how to use them.

One shape I use a lot for playing blue or 7th chords in general is the inside 4 strings of the
C shape with the added b7. It's a nice movable chord and easy to play.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:44:33 pm »
I thing it is very important as a gateway to becoming a post intermediate player.

As has been said it not as much about playing 6 string version of the chords all the way up the neck.  It is about seeing the patterns of how all the C chord (or whatever) shapes interlock all the way up the neck.

If you have taken the IM lesson on triads, you might notice that all of the triads come directly out of the CAGED shapes, but are limited to three strings (highest 3 in the lesson).

And even if the basic major or minor shapes are difficult to play, as you get into 7th chords and other extensions (stitch gave a great example with the C7 shape) it helps to be able to identify which  basic shape it is built around...

Bottom line knowing/understanding it will make you a better player in the long run than if you don't.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:56:15 pm »
Shadows post just reminded me that Justin's blues rhythm course is all about using the
CAGED shapes to play all the 7th, 9th, 13th chords all over the neck. Then it gets into
the Gospel slides which also is CAGED based and knowing your intervals.

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 07:23:24 am »
OK. So learning hem seems to be a good idea. I will add them to my practice schedule

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 09:53:59 pm »
Hi,
I came across this picturehttps://tomhess.net/files/images/TheCAGEDSystemHurtsYourGuitarPlaying/HowTheCAGEDSystemHurtsYourGuitarPlaying.jpg
Is it true that learning the caged system is really bad for you, or is this other website just full of baloney?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 10:26:28 pm »
How could anything that helps your playing and knowledge of the fret board be bad for you?
You found this on a website trying to sell you some super fast and easy way to separate you from
your money, I mean learn guitar didn't you.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:38:07 pm »
The CAGED system is how the guitar works at a fundamental level.

They are fully of baloney.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 06:24:52 am »
Tom Hess is a marketing spammer. Don't give him your email as he'll spam you relentlessly.
He's also in a rabbit hole on that idea of caged too.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App