Author Topic: Aria les paul "lawsuit" guitars?  (Read 5282 times)

Offline jnb

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 91°N, 212°W Lost again!
    • The Fat Cafe
Aria les paul "lawsuit" guitars?
« on: March 01, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »
Anybody know anything about these? Are they a real les paul in aria clothing or a cheap nasty plywood copy? The guitar shop opposite my office has one for sale at £250 but as I know very little about electrics I'm unwilling to spend without a bit more info. Unsurprisingly the owner was telling me how wonderful they were (sales speak for "buy this now") while I was equally unsurprisingly telling him I wouldn't buy anything just yet without trying a whole range a instruments in various places (customer speak for "don't hassle me or I won't buy anything")

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
Re: Aria les paul "lawsuit" guitars?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:22:43 pm »
I doubt it's any better than a new Agile.
Gone

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:57:13 pm »
Japanese Lawsuit guitars aren't always what they're cracked up to be. Got a Columbus that fits that description some time ago and the manufacturing is shameful. I've documented it in this thread.

Still... Aria from that era had a pretty good name for themselves, price is about what I would expect but I'd probably go for something modern (agile as TB suggests, Vintage, modern Aria are pretty decent too) unless it's in really good condition (IE little wear and tear)
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:15:24 pm »
It's not a "real" les paul, obviously, but most of the Aria lawsuit copies where really good for what they cost at the time.
I'd say give it a try, see if it suits you.
If it works, is in good shape, and feels good to you, then i see no objections to buying it.

Offline Xaromir

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Coolthulhu
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:02:14 pm »
As far as i know this is about ibanez because they used gibsons open book headstock,
but i think aria never had a lawsuit with gibson.
I may confuse things though.

It became quite fashionable to throw around words like xyz lawsuit or vintage on many different occasions,
very often that is just a load of bollocks,
they do that so you pay more for something that isn't worth it.

I am actually a aria owner.
I got a mid-80's aria pro 2 zz custom (blood paint) picture:

Those are actually of reasonable quality, and they are quite cheap, so if you want a 2. hand aria,
that maybe is a good point to start, i payed ~100€ for mine, but they usually go for 200 at the moment.
And make sure you get one that is mostly original, mine came not with the original tremolo,
but with a quite expansive and very xx--xx kahler flyer which ruined the whole thing.
And be aware of the fact that they are quite heavy guitars.
But they play good for the money you most likely will pay if you get a good one.

If it's about the les paul shape:
Listen to dan.

If it's about one of those "i want something special" things:
Budget? 

Tell us more about what you actually want.
Persona non grata.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:25:31 pm »
You are correct to a degree Xaro, but those things still get referred to as "lawsuit"  models, since Aria made guitars that where also very similar to Gibson's models.
Anything from the Ibanez "lawsuit" era can be referred to as a "lawsuit" model, which is done quite frequently online.
I'm not going to debate whether or not it's valid to call them that, i'll leave that to the people who sell them and their customers  :)

See : http://www.guitarsjapan.com/about.html for more info on that era  ;)

Offline Xaromir

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Coolthulhu
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:38:49 pm »
Nice read actually. :)
Thanks
Persona non grata.

Offline jnb

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 91°N, 212°W Lost again!
    • The Fat Cafe
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:05:21 pm »
Those are actually of reasonable quality, and they are quite cheap, so if you want a 2. hand aria,
that maybe is a good point to start, i payed ~100€ for mine, but they usually go for 200 at the moment.
And make sure you get one that is mostly original, mine came not with the original tremolo,
but with a quite expansive and very xx--xx kahler flyer which ruined the whole thing.
And be aware of the fact that they are quite heavy guitars.
But they play good for the money you most likely will pay if you get a good one.

If it's about the les paul shape:
Listen to dan.

If it's about one of those "i want something special" things:
Budget?  

Tell us more about what you actually want.

What I want is to try electric at some point and I'll probably spend £200 (ish) on a guitar at that point. Which probably means that I'd look at something like a new yamaha pacifica but, being a great beleiver in that there's nothing wrong with second hand, I decided to have a browse amongst this guys stock. At which point he showed me a cheap squier strat and this aria les paul. In principle one would save me money and one would get me a better guitar, in practice they're the first electrics I've looked at, or for that matter held!, so both felt odd and neither were I likely to buy there an then but I'll keep an eye on what sort of stock he has over the next few months.

Music styles tend to be classic rock / blues (and acoustic stuff but I already have an acoustic so I'm covered on that base).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:12:05 pm by jnb »

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:34 pm »
Just be sure the frets are not worn out. I had an Aria with a maple fretboard. The frets got pretty bad. I actually lost a little money selling that guitar. Maybe $25. That's the only guitar I've ever had to sell for less than what I paid for it. I would not have sold it if it wasn't for the frets but with the quality of what you can buy new these days, it wasn't worth it. I bout a new guitar for $125 that blew it away.

You also need to realize that a lot of what's out there these days would be law suit guitars so unless you can figure that the one you are looking at has some special collectability then it simply boils down to how does it feel and sound...and is it in good long term working order. But no they are not junk and you might find a good one.

I remember hearing an -unplugged- Tokai from across the room once. That thing had some serious sustain. Cheap guitar. That would have been a good one to find.

Gone

Offline Xaromir

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Coolthulhu
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:09:57 pm »
Yeah aria done quite a lot of rubbish aswell.
What did you have tb?
Persona non grata.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 12:48:02 am »
Just an LP style. I -think- it might have had a bolt-on neck. I know it had that thick gloss finish on the fretboard/neck.

It was fine other than the frets were worn out.

I actually have a hard time remembering it because I never enjoyed playing it much.

Gone

Deedice

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 06:53:01 pm »
Xaromir, your guitar reeeealy creeps me out

Offline Simonovski

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 0
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 07:36:31 pm »
Xaromir, your guitar reeeealy creeps me out

Just don't ask him how he got the custom 'paint' job....

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 08:13:59 pm »
Yeah.......... 'Cos the reason Xaro calls it his axe may not be the regular, garden variety reason.....  ;D

Offline Xaromir

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Coolthulhu
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 12:29:48 am »
Now you know what happened to people like jc, bananajoe and harpmaker.
People still disappear here every now and then. :-*

Storytime.
I was really into metal at the time, you know, metallica, slayer, skinless and stuff,
so i found that quite nice, i remember james hetfield was playing a white explorer,
i was playing raining blood up and down watching horror movies without end, so i guess this was perfect -
or at least at the time i bought it, then i was taking loads of drugs,
and horror movies and psychedelic drugs don't mix very well, so it became very inappropriate.
I got over that but what i noticed was that it stayed inappropriate, more in a silly way now.
You can play classical and "soft" stuff on that, but my friends always giggle when i do that,
and i always get comments because of the paint job.
If i have it with me at the guitar store, no matter who comes in they have to mention the paint job. xD
It's fun though, always good for a lol. :D
My "teacher" (aka the xx--xx i was paying to teach me nothing) back then was literally roffeling his ao when he saw it.
Still love it even tough it's really silly, it got a good neck on it, even though i broke my nose with it. :D
I remember the day when i got it, i almost smashed my mums head,
i never had a guitar in my hand no lessons at all and didn't knew what else to do with a guitar,
than grabbing it by the neck and actually swinging it around like a axe.
Loads of memories attached to that thing, mostly nice and some xx--xx once, but i like remembering the good ones.

Well - i'm going to buy a more "civilized" guitar hopefully this month, and i'm in the middle of fixing a acoustic,
i guess i grew up a bit. :)
Persona non grata.

Deedice

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 05:41:03 am »
Now you know what happened to people like jc, bananajoe and harpmaker.
People still disappear here every now and then. :-*

Storytime.
I was really into metal at the time, you know, metallica, slayer, skinless and stuff,
so i found that quite nice, i remember james hetfield was playing a white explorer,
i was playing raining blood up and down watching horror movies without end, so i guess this was perfect -
or at least at the time i bought it, then i was taking loads of drugs,
and horror movies and psychedelic drugs don't mix very well, so it became very inappropriate.
I got over that but what i noticed was that it stayed inappropriate, more in a silly way now.
You can play classical and "soft" stuff on that, but my friends always giggle when i do that,
and i always get comments because of the paint job.
If i have it with me at the guitar store, no matter who comes in they have to mention the paint job. xD
It's fun though, always good for a lol. :D
My "teacher" (aka the xx--xx i was paying to teach me nothing) back then was literally roffeling his ao when he saw it.
Still love it even tough it's really silly, it got a good neck on it, even though i broke my nose with it. :D
I remember the day when i got it, i almost smashed my mums head,
i never had a guitar in my hand no lessons at all and didn't knew what else to do with a guitar,
than grabbing it by the neck and actually swinging it around like a axe.
Loads of memories attached to that thing, mostly nice and some xx--xx once, but i like remembering the good ones.

Well - i'm going to buy a more "civilized" guitar hopefully this month, and i'm in the middle of fixing a acoustic,
i guess i grew up a bit. :)

Wow, that's a pretty crazy story.

Offline flyingdutchman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 01:34:16 pm »
10 years passed but this is still a valid topic, a lot of guitars on Ebay or similar websites classified or labeled as "lawsuit" guitars but just because they are made in that area do not make them automatically "lawsuit" guitars. It is quite tricky to find the real ones with high level craftmanship. It is like someone is calling 2000's Harley Benton guitars "lawsuit" guitars in 2054.
now I've got to look for
Sanctuary from the law

Get The Forum As A Mobile App