Author Topic: TR-201 • Listening To The Bass Note  (Read 10592 times)

Offline Vincent

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: TR-201 • Listening To The Bass Note
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 02:46:00 am »
All right - I hope I can phrase this question properly and apologize in advance....

Song 2 by Blur

I came up with the proper progression BUT.....my chords were "sharp" where they apparently should have been written in the corresponding "Flats".

If this question makes sense - can anyone give a general explanation why that is?

Actually - I think I know why - I am assuming that its because the "key" or scale that the song is in does not have sharps. If I look at my major scale chart that I worked out (from J's Pratical Theory) - my sharp chords don't fit anywhere but the progression does match the notes found in one of the major scale - does that mean thats the key its in.

WOW - hard to ask a question without giving it away.....Maybe have a seperate thread with Spoiler in the title so we can discuss the actual chords and keys and get explanations without giving it all away to those still working it out?

Diesel McGunner

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 08:31:25 pm »
To people who use a transcription software programme: what speed did you put the song at? I'm using one (don't know what it's called, my brother who is a computer genius recommended it) which I have mostly learned the basics of how to use but when I slow songs down they just sound all mushy and a lot more difficult to hear the chords in. I've tried it at various different speeds but it just always sounds weird and I can't hear it properly.

Is this a common problem? What kind of speed did you find the most helpful.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 01:10:14 pm »

Hey McG,

I use a program called Audacity.  It's free on the web somewhere. Search the forum.  I can change the tempo (not the speed) down to -50% and have it sound okay.  Okay, enough to transcribe most stuff anyway.  Much slower than that it sounds mushy.  I hear Transcribe software is better.

Some stuff with distortion and lots of background is just tough to transcibe. 

Just to clear, when you change the speed, you change the pitch and the tempo.  You just want to change the tempo and keep the same pitch.  Thank goodness software will do that. 

(Makes me wonder how they did it in the old days? Slow the 45's down to 33 1/3?)
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Drama

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »
I'm confused on notation when writing in the notes. For Song 2 by Blur, are the chords written as flats or sharps? Is the key signature going to be C or would it be different based on what the chords actually are?

I don't want to spoil it by listing the chords, but you get the point...

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 08:24:01 pm »
You can use whatever you're comfortable with. You can re-write your enharmonic equivalents according to it's key signature. I think. :P
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 09:17:23 pm »
Could someone tell me the aim for Monkey Gone To Heaven? Is it to work out all the bass notes or just the power chords in the intro and the chorus? I don't wanna look at the answers to find out.

Thanks.

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 08:17:01 pm »
Could someone tell me the aim for Monkey Gone To Heaven? Is it to work out all the bass notes or just the power chords in the intro and the chorus? I don't wanna look at the answers to find out.

Thanks.
I did the whole lot anyway.

Offline Tal

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 08:23:28 am »
First, I really enjoy studying with your lessons.
I did the transcribing of "this monkey..." by the Pixies, as this is the song I know best out of the list of songs offered in this. After I got the chords I thought I checked Tip1 and I think there's a chord missing.
I think that on top of the 4 chords written there (no spoilers for forum readers) there's an A, just before the chorus.
Am I right?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App