Author Topic: Blues on a budget!  (Read 2095 times)

Ric-newbie

Blues on a budget!
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:44:01 pm »
I had a thread talking about how i thought my guitar gear set up lacked a bit of emotion. Having read the responses and look through the best of brit thread I wanna replace the pick ups in my pacifica with maybe iron gear im thinking, in my twin bridge humbucker putting a blues engine, and pig iron pick ups in the middle and the neck? is it possible to fit the blues engine in the pacifica twin cut out i have?

Also as somebody mentioned my mg15 amp aint the best for the blues bit tinny and sounds to me like its meant more for metal than the blues, so wat amp could i get cheapish second hand wateva that would bring the blues tone out better?

Oh and im using standard super slinky strings i read that thicker gauge are better for the blues is this true?

I wanna turn basically my standard pacifica into a blues beast without getting to the £ point where i may aswell buy a new guitar. iron gear seems a gud way to go.

Cheers

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: Blues on a budget!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:54:11 pm »
The pickups seem a fine choice when on a limited budget, i would however go with the texas loco over the pig iron...
But that's just my opinion.

Your strings should be fine, super slinkies are fairly heavy gauge already, you could upgrade to "beefy" slinkies or "not even" slinkies, but IMHO you should be fine.
Keep in mind that you'd need to redo the setup when switching to a higher or lower string gauge.

As for the amp, Vox VT amps or their predecessor, the ADVT should be a good start.
Especially the ADVT's are popping up regularly second hand.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:29:32 pm »
is it possible to fit the blues engine in the pacifica twin cut out i have?

Humbuckers use pretty standard measurements across the industry.
Just make sure you don't buy mini humbuckers as they are smaller (hence the name).

While your pacifica may benefit from better pickups it's worth sorting your amp first and then seeing if you still aren't happy with stock pickups.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Ric-newbie

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:08:09 pm »
ive checked on ebay few of the advt amps for sale why would that be what you would recommend? Ill defo do that T i think as you say the amp is the end product whatever you put through it you have to be happy with that. how much would i be looking are for someone to put the pick uos in and set them up do you reckon if i went down that road?

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:39:11 pm »
how much would i be looking are for someone to put the pick uos in and set them up do you reckon if i went down that road?

The cost can vary greatly.... some places would charge you more than the pickups themselves cost (that's with you supplying the pickups).
for a stratocaster style guitar it's no more than an hours work and a few inches of solder. I would consider around £20 fair.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:03:33 pm »
ive checked on ebay few of the advt amps for sale why would that be what you would recommend?

I'm not sure if i understand your question correctly, try rephrasing it a bit.

Ric-newbie

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:21:36 am »
Sorry dan it was a bit of a backward question! I havent used too many amps and i dont know the pros and cons of all of them i was just wondering why this advt amp would be better at achieving a blues sound as an alternative to my marshall mg15?

Cheers

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:28:22 pm »
Ah, well now it makes sense  :D
Well, for one, the Vox ADVT's are modelling amps, with a tube in the poweramp.
Modelling amps sound like several different amps, and you can switch between amp models with a dial.
Because it has a tube, it sounds quite a bit fuller and warmer than a solidstate amp.
And in this case, i might add that just about any amp would sound better, because the Marshall MG's are just horrid hunks of scrap.

I say all this with confidence because almost every member of this forum who's once owned an ADVT has been very pleased with it's diversity and it's superior tone for such a budget amp.

Another reason i'd recommend it is that it's follow up line, the Vox VT's, never quite sounded as good as the old ADVT's did.
Sure, the new line has more (unnecessary) "bells and whistles", but i'd rather have less effects and amp models, with a superior tone, than having all the extra's, and having to make do with something that sounds, well, not quite as good.
Also, the ADVT's, when bought second hand, should cost quite a bit less than a new VT, and saving money is always a bonus, in case you need a new cable, strap, strings, capo, or whatever.

All this of course, is all VERY relative.
I mean, if i compare any of these budget amps to my amps of choice, these budget amps just lose it sound wise, but then again, my amps cost a hell of a lot more than these budget machines.
For example, my Mesa Boogie Mark IV cost me €1800, and that's just the amp.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:34:51 pm by Dan Graves »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App