Author Topic: What is this exactly? (pick-ups related)  (Read 1459 times)

Lucianot

What is this exactly? (pick-ups related)
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:49:47 am »
I just saw this ad. Is it a kind of test box?
Cheers!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=185326&cat=16

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: What is this exactly? (pick-ups related)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:09:13 am »
it's all soldered together (except the jack for some strange reason), I'd expect temporary connections like crocodile clips or terminal blocks for a test box.

Could be they were putting it together as part of a quick change electronics package (think loaded pickguard that takes seconds to change) but it seems too bulky for that too....

Nope..... dunno.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »
It's put together like that to allow you to unfix it and drop it right into/onto the guitar/scratchplate as a direct replacement.

When you're building a complete replacement wiring loom, new pots, the whole shebang, for your guitar, sometimes it's handy to build it all on a stiff card or plastic template. That way you can work outside of the guitar cavity with a bit more room. With a Strat, that's no problem, but the way the pickups and switches are mounted in that link would make it really easy for a relative newbie to guitar wiring to just unfix the kit from its backing, drop it straight into the guitar and solder up the last couple of connections.

I can't seem to find the link I had for the particular supplier, but they supplied high quality direct replacement wiring harnesses for all different makes of guitar, all mounted on a backing so they only had to be dropped in and connected up. The images would have been a good example, but you get the picture. As I said, a relative newbie to wiring could just drop them in and complete the wiring in just a few minutes.

Lucianot

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 12:26:36 pm »
Another mistery...I will ask, what the heck.

Lucianot

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:22:57 pm »
Sorry Wishbone, I didn't see your reply.
I asked the guy and he pointed me to the manufacturer:

http://www.kinman.com/Shop/harnesses_stratprod.htm

Nice gadget.
Thanks guys, another mistery solved  ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App