Author Topic: SONG LESSON QUESTIONS - From Katie's Window  (Read 36093 times)

nicholasdaniel

Re: SONG LESSON QUESTIONS - From Katie's Window
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 05:52:36 pm »
So far for me the hardest part is the bend in the intro with the pull off. I can do the bend and all but It's amazing how clear J can get them.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 06:13:01 pm »
See, that's my problem too. I run into other strings when pulling off, or I can't even pull them off at all...
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

nicholasdaniel

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 11:48:30 pm »
Exactly. The other things just take you playing it slow until you get it but that is just so frustrating. Mayb its becasue i use 13's?

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 11:52:23 pm »
Nothing wrong with 13s man. I have always had 13s on my dread an it doesn't seem that much of an issue here.
Production and mixing

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 08:23:07 am »
If it's any consolation, I find some of the bands a bit tricky with 13's :) Jessie had 12s on her and that little bit thinner string lets me control the bends instead of fighting them.

Not having tried to learn it myself, I'm not sure what the hard bits are, but obviously the fast lick is going to take more time for most people I guess. I find it tricky to keep the time solid through the fast lick too... often find myself speed up in anticipation... which makes it harder... duh!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 02:26:43 pm »
I just got your album by mail, Justin.
Now I have to re-learn half of the song just because it's different... I think it's faster than the demo too.
Production and mixing

nicholasdaniel

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 08:02:01 pm »
Any tips for getting the the bass notes out on the percussive hits but not the higher stringer? I seem to struggle with this. 

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 08:07:36 pm »
Use the palm of your hand to hit the bass strings, in a way that the rest of your hand does not hit any strings. I have to sort this out myself too.
Production and mixing

nicholasdaniel

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 01:34:51 am »
If my palm hits the bass strings wont it mute them?

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 01:56:55 pm »
You can hit the bass strings that are not ringing, it does take a bit more practice but I think it's possible.
Production and mixing

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 01:59:59 pm »
I've got a question myself now.

For the fast run, is it better to barre or use two fingers for the 12-12 (D and G string) bit?
Production and mixing

nicholasdaniel

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »

nicholasdaniel

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 06:33:19 pm »
I've got a question myself now.

For the fast run, is it better to barre or use two fingers for the 12-12 (D and G string) bit?

It looks like just does a rollover for that bit

breedlove

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 01:50:45 pm »
I've got a little problem with the tab vs. the tutorial video.

Bar 9,11,13 and 15 starts with an open low E-string followed by a hammer on of second fret D-string.
In part 2 of the tutorial-video, in my opinion, bar 13 doesn't start like that.

Is there a difference between the tab and the tutorial? (Maybe bar 12 differ too ??)

samkel123

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 02:51:44 pm »
Hi just started trying to learn the intro to this and i am really struggling with the bends. The first tone bend i find really really hard to do by pulling down as it kills my fingers and i can barely even get a semitone. Pushing up i find easier however i have now broken two G strings trying to push up and i do not really fancy breaking another one. Any tips on what i can do about this. Also i was going to ask is the first bend strictly a full tone as i have played it on the electric and a full tone sounds too far to me also when i tried swapping the bend for a slide on the acoustic it did not sound right compared to justins version in the video. Any tips on how i can get around this? By the way on my acoustic guitar i am using gauge 12-54 DR rare strings. Thanks

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 04:50:41 pm »
breedlove,

@Q1
Just roughly try to match it. You'll give it your own twists at some point anyway.
Good luck.

@Q2
Well, I use 11s (on the travel guitar, see cover - 13s on the full-size, still works)  and so I don't expect it to be the gauge (lighter strings tend to break quicker) I've noticed the full bend. I've always done a half step bend because Justin does exactly the same thing as far as I am aware. I also bend the G up, as well as the D. I think you either need some lube in the nut or get it filed out better by a luthier (I have yet to do that). If you're looking for alternatives I suggest doing a hammer-on and a pull-off instead of a slide.
Production and mixing

samkel123

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 03:51:41 pm »
Ok i hjave another question about this song. I have managed to get the intro down i now use semitone bends and push up and it seems all fine however i am now struggling with the next section. As far as all the left hand goes i am fine with that and the only thing i am really struggling with is the strum along with the percussive hit. I can do the percussive hit fine however what i struggle with is hitting the right strings with the strum along with it. Sometimes it sounds like i hit off notes and other times i find it very hard to get the right notes to come out of the strum meaning that sometimes it is hard to hear some of the notes that slide up for example from the second to 4th fret on the d string and instead there is just a noise that comes out from the percussive hit/strum and the right notes are not coming out. Anyone got any ideas on how to get good and accurate with this percussive strum. Thanks

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2010, 04:03:17 pm »
I'm not very accurate with the percussive hit/strum, but I hit the strings with the palm and at the same time stretch the fingers across the strings. As long as you're holding the chords, there shouldn't really be any off notes at all.
I'm only accurate when having to hit the first or second string - further down it just gets too cramped for my hand.
Production and mixing

samkel123

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 04:31:05 pm »
Sorry i did not really word that correctly. I would not say there were off notes as in notes out of tune but it just does not sound like it should as some of the notes that are meant to be c oming out such as the slides do not really come out very loud. I think maybe it is because when i hit the strings i am muting some of the lower strings meaning some of the notes on the D string that are meant to be played with the p[ercussive hit do not ring out. I will just keep playing around with it until i have something that sounds ok. Hopfully once this main technique is down properly there will not be too m uch more too learn although some of the chord parts look sticky and the solo looks challenging.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2010, 05:02:57 pm »
Try to keep the pressure when sliding up and make sure the contact with the strings to the right hand is short - you kind of brush over the strings so you won't mute them.
Production and mixing

Ascaris

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:57 pm »
Brilliant song. I have one question though: during the intro, the tab says the bend on the G string 4th fret is a full-tone bend and Justin says the same in the video. It sounds like a semi-tone to me though :/

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2011, 11:00:12 pm »
That's what it is to me too - and I can't even do a full-tone bend on my guitar anyway... xD
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App