Author Topic: Has anyone tried EMG Passive Pick-ups?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
Has anyone tried EMG Passive Pick-ups?
« on: January 23, 2010, 04:58:51 pm »
  Hey guys. Hope you're all well and off to a good start this year. So, I've been browsing around Musician's Friend, and I've seen some EMG pick-ups, and some Seymour Duncan pick-ups. Where these two met were at the $45-$60 range. The Seymours were the SSL-1's and SSL-5L's, and the EMG ones were the passive ones. The pick-ups that I've wanted(after a quick calculation), are bit expensive for my budget. However with some of the EMG'S, I've found that they stayed in my budget. So, has anyone tried them to give me a straightforward and truthful review? ;)
Check out my roadcase.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: Has anyone tried EMG Passive Pick-ups?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:43:13 am »
EMG passives, like the actives, lack a very distinct tone of their own, and sound fairly "cold".
Not quite as sterile and cold as, say, a Zakk Wylde set, but still not anywhere near as good as pickups from Bareknuckle Pickups, Dimarzio, Fralin, Lollar or Seymour Duncan.
Not that they're not good pickups, but they are what they are.

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:06:22 pm »
  Thanks for the reply. :)
Check out my roadcase.

strapp75

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:55:18 pm »
Hi,

i've got a Lag Jet Matt 200 with "2 EMG HZ single coil pickups + 1 EMG humbucker pickups (S3-neck + mid, FH3A-bridge)". To be honest with you i really like this guitar and i think it really sounds good.

Now i'm only playing with earphones on a Line6 Pocket Pod And i just tried it one or two times with an amp. Anyway, I'd rather buy a guitar with this pickups than an Epiphone in the same prices range.

Now, if you're looking for new pickups for your guitar, like dan said, i'd buy some Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, etc....rather than some  EMG passives.

Also, i'm turning into a real Clapton addict and i agree that the EMG sound "colder" than the pickups you'd have on a Strat. When i play "Wonderful Tonight" my sound is close to Clapton's sound but there's still i difference that i could only fix with better pickups.

I've never really tried another electric guitar but i'd rate these pickups 6.5/10 or 7/10.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App