Author Topic: TB-500 • Altered Tunings  (Read 12768 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
TB-500 • Altered Tunings
« on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:51 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:28:11 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Orr

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: TB-500 • Altered Tunings
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:45:16 pm »
justin add the DGCGCD Tuning,it is the tuning of the rain song by led zeppelin.
and I have a question:
Can I invent some new techniques,jimmy page used some special tunings,did he invent this?
Jimmy Page
:)

Offline kac247s

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:19:53 am »
In altered tunings, how do you know when you need a heavier or lighter gauge string as in the Nashville tuning or say like a lot of Michael Hedges work.  Is there some sort of rule of thumb that tells you when you should use different string gauges?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:39:46 am »
Here is a tutorial on Nashville tuning.  I'm sure there are other string gauge possibilities, but this is a good starting point.  Google Nashville tuning, I got lots of hits.
http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/instruments/how-to-use-the-nashville-tuning/

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:16:38 pm »
Is there some sort of rule of thumb that tells you when you should use different string gauges?

Just went through this with my cigar box guitar.

Given a particular note (frequency of vibration), the thicker the string the higher the tension must be for the string to vibrate at that frequency.  In other words, if you tune a string to a higher and higher note, you'll eventually break the string because the tension exceeds the strength of the string. 

You'd have to use some physics to determine exactly what gauge string to use.  If you have a particular case you are interested in,  I'd run a calculation for you.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 05:31:12 pm »
There's a neat calculator on line here (I just used it for my uke build :) ):

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_guitar_string.htm

Andy

hah

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 05:02:24 am »
My all-time favorite in DADGAD is "Inlaw Josie Wales" by Trey Anastasio / Phish.

** Highly suggested for those who feel inspired to really challenge themselves

His best recording (in my opinion) was at the Connecticut Forum several years back. If you search YouTube for "Trey Anastasio Connecticut Forum" you'll find it!

This song & this song alone inspired me to pick up the guitar. Of all random courses, I decided to learn this song first (after the super super fundamentals). I'm only proficient with the first 60 seconds or so, and will re-visit it later. Jumping back to the basics with JustinGuitar as we speak, thanks man!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App