Author Topic: Pro Tools >> Mackie >> Mac OS 10.4.11  (Read 788 times)

mynewguitar

Pro Tools >> Mackie >> Mac OS 10.4.11
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:08:17 pm »
I have a Mac G5 running OS 10.4.11 with a Pro Tools MBox2. I would like to insert a Mackie 1642 - VLZ Pro Mixer into the chain in front of the MBox, but when I do, I hear a high pitched whine in the audio output. I have tried plugging into separate AC outlets (which helps a bit), using balanced cables (doesn't seem to make a difference), and inserting an isolation transformer (which helps quite a bit - but still hear a faint whine)...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Pro Tools >> Mackie >> Mac OS 10.4.11
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 01:14:52 am »
It sounds like your audio cables are picking up some high freq. from the computer itself.

Can you get all the audio stuff as far from the computer as possible. Also be sure you don't have audio cables and USB/Firewire tangled with each other.

How about a power supply that is near the audio lines. Like a power brick. Any of those in there?

Gone

mynewguitar

Re: Pro Tools >> Mackie >> Mac OS 10.4.11
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:58 am »
TB-AV -

Thank you for the input. I'm going to rearrange things per your suggestions to see if that helps out. I've used the Mackie "in front of"
Logic with no problem by going directly into the inputs of the computer, so I've been thinking it has something to do with the MBox with its usb connection not liking the added oomph of the Mackie.

Your suggestions make sense however, so I'll give them a try and let you know how it turns out. Should be in a day or two.

Thanks again for weighing in. I greatly appreciate it.

- Chris

Get The Forum As A Mobile App