Author Topic: bend that b string - pentatonic lick practice tip  (Read 3491 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
bend that b string - pentatonic lick practice tip
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:31:40 pm »
Here's a tip you may find useful if you have just started on string bending and are struglling to make your bends sound right.
 :)

So, I've just finished a lesson with Camera21anon

I started him on the A minor pentatonic scale recently - it's still fairly early days with this - and I wanted him to get the feel for a bit of string bending.

I think it is common to struggle with this at first ... in terms of technique and in terms of 'hearing' the note to bend to.

I showed him to slide to the note first, then play the bend, then slide to it again ... all the while using his ears to hear when the bend was 'just right'.

When I moved him from the g string bend of position 1 (fret 7 to fret 9 - D to E) I showed him the b string bend (fret 8 to fret 10 = G to A). He found this one more difficult to hit the bend just right.

Then it occured to me to teach him using this little lick and get him to play it repeatedly to practise the bend and to ‘hear’ the note he was bending to:  
* see below

E-|----------------|----------6---5----|---------------||--------------||
B-|--5--8--b—10----|--5---8------------|--5--8--b—10---||--8--5-------||

* tabs are for general guidance and are just an approximation with regard to timing

How did it help him 'hear' the note?  I can only suggest you play it and see … it should sound familiar.

It was to him … it was the first tune he ever learned to play and he knows these note intervals like the back of his hand.

Hope this helps.

:)

ps

Just in case you didn’t figure it out – the lick …. It’s the main riff from Smoke On The Water!

Now don’t go pretending you’ve never played that riff before!

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
Re: bend that b string - pentatonic lick practice tip
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:20:48 pm »
Never thought about that, to use a well known interval in a well known song like that. Makes sense! He is lucky to have you close!!
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Get The Forum As A Mobile App