Author Topic: Out of my depth.!!?  (Read 9141 times)

Offline chipbutty

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • All computers can only work with rocks.
Out of my depth.!!?
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:41:49 pm »
Hi all,
I have downloaded these lovely tracks but I am in the wrong league.

I thought they would be good for me as a beginner, however after reading Justin's notes and other posts here I realise my error.

I know they will be useful later on, (me hopes). But I'm 58 now and may not get there. ....

Is there any way or can you tell me how to make use of them now, i.e chord progressions as mentioned but for beginners. Or use in conjunction with a particular other lesson.

I cannot transpose or yet identify chords in songs..

If I ask the impossible then no worries, I will consider I have made another useful donation to this excellent site , it really is. I am so happy to be on this course.
Many thanks Justin et al.
Cheers.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: Out of my depth.!!?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:15:42 pm »
If you mean the track in G Major and the the one that is an A blues.

Take the G Major one and get the G Major scale patterns. Just play those notes as the track plays.

For the one in A, try the A minor pentatonic scale patterns.

Also for the A Blues one, go to his lessons on Blues licks. Learn a couple of those licks and play those over it too.
Gone

Offline chipbutty

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 03:28:19 pm »
Cheers TB-AV ,

That's great info. thank you for such a speedy and informative reply. Will do just as you suggest.
Many thanks.
Chipbutty

If you mean the track in G Major and the the one that is an A blues.

Take the G Major one and get the G Major scale patterns. Just play those notes as the track plays.

For the one in A, try the A minor pentatonic scale patterns.

Also for the A Blues one, go to his lessons on Blues licks. Learn a couple of those licks and play those over it too.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 04:14:50 pm »
Also go to the Arpeggio lessons. Those patterns are really going to fit right on top of that A Blues.

You will find the A minor Pent stuff sounds good but with a few iffy sounding notes. Try the A7 arpeggio pattern.

the blues will go A7 A7 A7 A7 D7 D7 etc.....

Use that arpeggio pattern over the A7 parts and the Am Pent over the D and E sections. and blend it back and forth too. You will hear the kinda off notes. Just pick the good ones and don't try to play too much.

so for the a blues

A couple of good licks
The arpeggio patterns
The minor Pent patterns

Just mix it up, you will hear what belongs where and when. A few good notes played at just the right time go a loooooooooooog way.

=============

Also look down two threads. "Chord Progressions for Play along Tracks".
That is the gold mine for the G track.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 04:19:52 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline chipbutty

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:49:02 pm »
Thanks a mill, TB-AV,
a star you are.
Have printed off this info and the other threads. It has been great to try what you've advised because:-

A whole new world has just opened up for me today, as well as this info from you, and plugging in a 'new today', digitech Rp55 to my old Marshall 10cd it's a good day.

The digitech has given me 'more groove' as Justin puts it, with a drum beat selectable too, as a metronome, or backing. What a feeling !! I am soooo happy.

I have also just taken delivery of my first valve amp late today..whoa.. the good old days are here again, ( well I am 58...lol).
A Laney cub 10.. not even out of box as I speak, so christmas is early. ha.
Rock and roll the midnight hours!!! Us oldies don't sleep that much anyway , shame about the neighbours, my headphones ain't here..!!

Thanks again.
Cheers Steve.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:10:23 pm »
Wow! You are having a good day!

Gone

Linsen

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 10:34:31 pm »
Gotta love that enthusiasm! Screw the neighbours and have fun, Steve! ;D

Offline chipbutty

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 02:32:46 am »
Hi Linsen and TB-AV,
Out of my depth...!
Not any more thanks to you guys.

Thks for your comments Linsen.

I am still at it 2AM and neighbours NOT happy. (tough)!
I have been using my new 'LANEY CUB 10' that I just got today and I have to say :-***!!!*** heck.
I cannot believe that by simply buying a better amp would have made such a difference to my understanding of 'feeling' and playability. I will have to do a post somewhere on this forum to try and express my feelings for other beginners .
I never thought that I would be able to do 'Hammer on and flick offs' properly like Justin seems to make look easy in his Vids. No more catching the other strings with my ring finger as I attempt to get a note.. ha.

I must admit I have been getting a bit frustrated with my learning recently, as many do.! Flying solo using Justins course has been brilliant,
 and finding help on this forum inspiring.
Now I have a better tool in my kit, the work, I know, will be more enjoyable.

I don't know how to close these posts so I will say thanks again and come back to this section when I 'get down' what TB suggested earlier.

Onwards and upwards....
sunshine smiles and rainbows in the sky.

Cheers Steve.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 04:15:14 pm »
Well done Steve :)

Sounds like it's going great for you!!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App