Author Topic: Bridge Pick-Up quiet and thin before springing back into life  (Read 1481 times)

Tigger

Bridge Pick-Up quiet and thin before springing back into life
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:15:56 am »
So it seems my Les Paul has caught a cold what with all these wintry chills about!

The bridge pick-up sounds really quiet and thin for about 10 seconds before the sound returns to normal...

If I play the the neck pick-up and then switch to the bridge pick-up the tone and amplitude of the sound dives off a cliff and then just comes back to normal by itself after a bit.

I have checked inside and eliminated the chance that any wires are loose...

My best random guess is that the capacitor is faulty as this is a component that might cause a delayed issue because of a bad charge time etc, but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had an issue like this or has a better guess.

Cheers!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: Bridge Pick-Up quiet and thin before springing back into life
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:57:57 pm »
Get a little jumper cable and jumper across it. That will tell you right away.

test lead jumper

If not that, I would clean the switch. If not those you might have a winding going bad that's starting to short out. You could try measuring it's resistance and look for large jumps.

I would say switch, cap, or simply a cold solder joint. Might want to re-melt all connections.

Gone

Tigger

Re: Bridge Pick-Up quiet and thin before springing back into life
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 04:10:17 pm »
Thanks for the tips TB.

I had some time to take a proper look at this today and ultimately I think the root cause of the problem may have been slightly corroded pick-up selector switch contacts.  I removed the switch and cleaned it up properly with alcohol etc and all seems fine now.

Once I had the back covers off of the guitar and had a really good look I was really disappointed with the cables between the switch terminals and the pots so I replaced them with identical, but much higher quality ones.  The soldering in there was pretty slap-dash as well so I just spent a bit of time giving the electronics some TLC with a soldering iron.

Moral of the story, Gibson build extraordinarily fine guitars in my opinion, but they can't solder for xx--xx!.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App