Author Topic: Hofner violin Bass  (Read 2389 times)

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Hofner violin Bass
« on: July 18, 2020, 11:28:50 am »
I'm looking at the Ignition Hofner Violin Bass, it has outstanding reviews and well Paul McCartney used one!

I'm pretty much sold on the  Hofner Black HIBBBK, however the Rocktile VB-2"Black Magic" looks identical baring the name and a lump cheaper
Am I just paying for the name here?

I guess I will get the Hofner regardless but there is that tight fist-ness in me that looks for a bargain!!

Edit...
Nevermind, I'm going with the Hofner,  I just gave the  Rocktile a quick glance originally, there's a lot that looks tacky when I had a closer look
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 05:10:08 pm by nigec »
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
Re: Hofner violin Bass
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 02:38:51 am »
Looking forward to a recording from you with the new Hofner nigec
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:37:47 pm »
I would if I could get one lol
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 07:52:31 pm »
Finally got my bass, not the one I had planned, I got this one instead
https://www.bandm.co.uk/hofner-ignition-violin-bass-black-7817.html
GAK came to the rescue.

What a lovely bass these are, I mainly play to get over a shake I have in my left hand, and this bass is very light and easy to play.
it plays ok out of the box but it needs a bit of fine tuning, the bridge has a protector I need to get out and the Intonation is a little bit off but not by much, no where near as bad as my Classic Vibe was.

going against my better judgement I bought a  £28 practice amp from Amazon, a 10w RocketMusic thing  and its actually sounds decent, I was using Amplitube as we've recently moved house and my other amp is in storage.
the little amp is perfect for the space I practice in, well impressed

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 08:17:12 pm »
That looks really cool Nige. Happy NGD  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 08:21:43 pm »
Happy NBD Nige.

Check this ... Galeazzo is a Beatles guy through and through ... ace singer / musician and a fine luthier too.

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 08:33:08 pm »
Good for you Nige! If I go to learning bass in the future, I'd go for a Hofner! :)
I'm a big Beatles fan & it would be a great sense of history to me as well as my being a fan of them & Paul McCartney. And playing those great songs the original was used in of course. I'd also be interested in a Rickenbacker but they start in price at over £2,000 for what I saw online - new that is! No beginner's models for those that I can tell.
McCartney did stop using his Hofner for a number of years but it was Elvis Costello who apparently encouraged him to start, or keep, playing it again. Maca's must be worth a fortune! :)

Anyway, good luck with it, have fun.

Cheers

Tony. :)

Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 09:51:55 am »
I love the Beatles, the first record I bought was Get Back :)
I can play part of "I want you/She's so heavy" on the Strat

I have seen someone play different styles and it might fall short as a slap bass,  its great if you use a pick, this and the short scale make it really shine for me, I have a Fender Jazz style bass and I'm to slow, and clunky.

I'm more interested in pop and rock music, I'm not a play the funky music type of person lol

I'm already seeing a massive improvement with "Boris the Spider" I just need to get consistent with the "Creepy, crawly, Creepy....." part lol, you may hear my first live performance just to add more weirdness to the year

thanks for the encouragement, I saw a video on making the Ignition versions more authentic, but it seems like overkill,  may I'd go with the flat wound strings

I noticed the price has shot up in a week, I paid £279 and I'm seeing them around £339 and not in stock for the black ones

Get The Forum As A Mobile App