Author Topic: Tourniquet  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Tourniquet
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:44:51 am »
Tourniquets Road Case.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: Tourniquet
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:22:05 am »
(hope you don't mind me hijacking your post Zkash, But I figure since I can modify other peoples posts in here but not my own It makes more sense to use someone elses post for the main feature)

Gear:

Guitars:

Rockwood strat copy (Bridge now a blade humbucker)                Brian may signature red special, mahogany body, trisonic pickups
1987 American strat fitted with a Kahler tremolo.                       RPG, loaded with p90s basswood body and set neck

Lindo les paul with a spruce body                                                Atrius "Queensryche" guitar with licenced floyd
Columbus les paul with a plywood body and fake humbuckers           rose and locking nut (and, i suspect, an mdf body)
(bridge now upgraded to a "boston" alnico 5 humbucker)                 Wesley paddle style guitar made from acrylic

Both are "Axe" ::) guitars, plywood body,                                  Partsocaster from a yamaha erg121 and rockwood neck,
                                                                                        also converted to a hardtail.
bottom one I have stripped the paint off of the fretboard            bottom is a gear4music SG style guitar, basswood body.
                                                                                        (Now fitted with a set of Ibanez AH (1&2) pickups)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/tourniquet42/guitars7.jpg
top is a gear4music 12 string acoustic. spruce top, sapele sides, Very good value for money if you're after a budget 12 string. (has now been fitted with a homemade Piezoelectric pickup)
Bottom is a 70's "audition" semi acoustic, very unusual pickups, bigsby style trem, nasty bridge I intend to replace with a TOM eventually, Individual switching for the pickups (oddly).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/tourniquet42/guitars8.jpg
Top is my scratchbuild project, now with truss rod (which i stupidly started to peel the shrink wrap off of... no biggie, I can rebind it), pickups donated from a 2003 epiphone (also got an ibanez donor set I can try if I don't like these), and aluminium fret markers.
Bottom is a marlin neck with locking nut, got it for the partsocaster but the neck socket wasn't suitable.... I'll find a use for it later.

Abscent are My Aria PE-Elite (visible in my old sig further down) is back but I need to get round to photographing it.
a gear4music ovation style 6 string

Amplifiers:
Blackstar HT-5 stack          Roland Cube 30X                 Vox Amplug & mini cabinet

Page G15 (Almost completely unheard of amp, looks like an old practice amp, I'll photograph it and the other amps properly at a later date)

Effects:
Digitech RP250 multifx (these days stripped back to just use single effects)
Boss TU-2 tuner

Misc:
Shure C606 Microphone
Yoga DM-2100 Microphone
Superscope condenser Microphone
Pop filter
Livewire instrument cables
Shubb capo

DIY'er bag of goodies
3in1 multipurpose oil - Micrometer gauge - Feeler gauge - Tescos 31 piece precision screwdriver set - Artists brush
Set of allen keys - Bottle of almond oil 13 years past it's "use by" date - 00 gauge wire wool
Meguiar's gold class car polish - All purpose wood adhesive and cyanoacrylate superglue - Adjustable spanner, Needle file set, craft knife
Weller 25Watt soldering iron - Tape: Masking, electrical, double sided, sellotape

Storage:
All guitars are stored on a rack modified for purpose to save space.

modifications documented in this post
http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=17810.0

Scratchbuild project
Currently on hold until a little corner I can call my own becomes available again.
progress so far documented here
http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=7709.0

Old Sig (won't be kept long......)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:18:00 pm by Tourniquet »
Check out my roadcase.

davemoss

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:43:40 am »
Looks like they're on your bed. How do you get any sleep ???

Offline Lemming

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:08:50 pm »
Today I am mostly liking the Brian May, the Queensryche, & very much the semi acoustic  ;)
www.lemming750.co.uk
www.theuniononline.com/
www.myspace.com/glamalice

My Gear:.......
Hohner Strat copy;Aria Les Paul Copy; Applause Electro Acoustic; Novanex 50W amp; Roland Microcube; Tony iommi's Pre-amp !!

Offline Lemming

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:00:46 pm »
Also, could I just say, you reminded me that I haven't heard Operation Mindcrime for absolutely bl**dy ages, so I dug it out again & stuck it in the car, so thank you for that, what a stonkingly good album it is  ;) Possibly THE best concept album in the world. EVER !!! (imo)
www.lemming750.co.uk
www.theuniononline.com/
www.myspace.com/glamalice

My Gear:.......
Hohner Strat copy;Aria Les Paul Copy; Applause Electro Acoustic; Novanex 50W amp; Roland Microcube; Tony iommi's Pre-amp !!

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 01:04:08 am »
Wow holy crap you have a lot of beautiful guitars.  I think I like the looks of the rockwood strat copy.  You obviously are a connoisseur of guitars.  Very clever on the storing method of your "babys". 

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 12:29:20 am »
nice collection dude!

I am going to have to make a page like this...

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline PJMCM

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:19:24 pm »
nice collection dude!

J

Now that I would like to see!!

Peter
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. (George Bernard Shaw)

1986 Epiphone Dreadnought Acoustic
Freshman FA1AM
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
1980's Hondo Bass (DIY restoration fun!)
Peavey Vypyr 30

Offline Xaromir

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Coolthulhu
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »
nice collection dude!

J

Now that I would like to see!!

Peter

+1
Persona non grata.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 04:58:32 am »
Torni - you're a genius - it never occured to me to edit the first reply and have that as the main post!
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

bigoli

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 06:07:46 am »
Looks like they're on your bed. How do you get any sleep ???
You don't sleep with your guitar? What a weirdo.

That Lindo les Paul looks very sexy

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 02:05:00 pm »
  LOL! :D
Check out my roadcase.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »

Lindo top before

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/tourniquet42/Lindo.jpg
Lindo after

Been doing a little work on the Lindo les paul.
Stripped the front finish off and used some Rustins "red mahongany" wood dye on it. The wood itself is rather ho-hum, all the grain and pattern you see is an effect if the method used to apply the dye.
Rustins clear varnish was used to finish.... one thick coat brushed on... very uneven and wavy. Did intend to go through multiple coats with sanding and polishing but I decided I liked the rough and ready look.
Pickups have been replaced with a set from an Epiphone donor (better than stock but i might find something with a bit more grunt later)

Offline MadCat

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Kassel-Germany
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 09:00:59 pm »
Wow, nice work. Looks very sweet!
Do you plan to put back on the pickguard?
What I think looks a bit weird, is, that now there are chrome pickups while the rest of the hardware is gold.

My gear is here

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 09:32:32 pm »
Cheers ;)
Not really a fan of the les paul pickguard so I'll probably leave it off for now.
chances are any future pickups would be uncovered anyway... may even uncover these.... hmmm, sounds like a plan ;D

Quark

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 10:15:59 pm »
Very nice T!  Are you doing anything to the stock? Trying to picture the whole thing together from your before and after shots.

W

Offline Xaromir

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Coolthulhu
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 10:21:30 pm »
Why pups without covers? I think covers look rad. :3
I guess if you just would replace the silver ones with golden covers it should fix it.
Persona non grata.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 10:58:38 pm »
@Quark: not sure what you mean by stock. headstock?
toying with ideas that I could do with the neck, might strip just the face again but the back of the neck is painted white like the body was, could be worth the effort to strip the whole lot (done it before with the marlin neck so second time around should be much easier)
If I do strip the face should I effectively re-brand it? (and I do mean brand with a hot iron)
Worked up a logo some months back for such an eventuality (MadMan)

Wanted something clean and simple yet memorable without being cliched. Still like it a few months down the line which is usually a pretty big hurdle alone.

@Xaro: I like the look of covers too generally.... but they definitely have a negative impact on tone so I've learned to love bare bobbins just as much

Quark

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 11:19:43 pm »
Yeah T, I meant the headstock. Love the logo!!!

W

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
Singing 101
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 07:20:08 pm »
Singing questions continue to crop up every now and then so I'm planning to pull all the singing resources together in one post that can be referred to. I'll add to it as things occur (If anyone wishes to add to it they are welcome, i'll edit submissions into the main body and when it's reasonably comprehensive i'll give it a proper home in it's own thread)

Singing 101
It's not uncommon for people to dislike the sound of their own voice when they first hear it recorded whether speaking or singing. It only takes a little effort to get past this. As with the guitar, improvement comes with correct practice.

A few links to vocal coaching courses that have free video content (may require registration, but the content is good)
http://www.aussievocalcoach.com/
http://theessentialvoice.net/index.html
http://www.aapproach.com/category/free-voice-lessons/

and a few links to text courses
http://www.voicelesson.com/html/lessons/free_lessons.htm
http://www.vocalist.org.uk/voicetraining.html

Getting the best out of your voice
Drink plenty of water
Relax, singing in the morning when you are rested will produce better results than late at night when you're tired or tense
Warm up by singing or humming scales
Never ignore pain

Vocal registers
It's important to recognize that there are several vocal registers, each with it's own range and tone
Vocal fry: The lowest register which is characterized by a clicking sound due to the low frequency. most vocal coaches seem to discourage regular use of this register.
Modal: This register is also used for speech.
Falsetto: High pitch and quite thin, it's commonly used by men when trying to talk mockingly like a woman.

Chest voice/Head voice: Not registers but where the sound chiefly reverberates.

Finding your vocal range and using the guitar to compare pitch

6th string       5th string       4th string
E---------------  ---------------  -------0-------
B---------------  -------1-------  -----0---0-----
G---------------  -----0---0-----  ---1-------1---
D-------3-------  ---2-------2---  -2-----------2-
A---0-3---3-0---  -3-----------3-  ---------------
E-1-----------1-  ---------------  ---------------

Play the mini scale on the guitar and sing the notes along with it. when you finish a scale successfully, increase all of the notes by one fret and start again
Start with the 6th string until you've increased it to the 7th fret on the Low E. when you finish that one move onto the 5th string pattern and repeat until you reach the 6th fret. finish that and move onto the 4th string pattern, repeat until you run out of frets.

this covers almost 4 octaves so don't be surprised if the lows and/or highs are out of reach. don't push your voice for them either, if a note is out of reach go no further and consider that the end of your range.
This exercise will first off help you find your range. done with regularity it should also strengthen your voice and extend it over time.

for reference the first fret on the B string is Middle C and the guitar covers most of the approximate human voice range going from E2 to E6 (on a 24 fret guitar)

Matching your vocal range to the song
You should have two ranges, one you are comfortable in and one you are not.
it is down to you to be honest with yourself when you become uncomfortable.
Once you know your comfortable range you need to find the vocal range of the song. if you can follow the vocal melody on the guitar it should become apparent what the lowest and highest notes are and how many octaves (if any) it covers.

If for example your comfortable vocal range is C3-C4 and the song ranges D4-D5 dropping the key by a whole tone and the vocal by an octave should put you right.
if the song has a greater range than you can manage comfortably, you can try going a little further, just don't push it too far.

Vocal range in comparison to musical instruments

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/08/3/8/8/5710768927378145.png

Recording
It's important to record yourself singing as the sound you hear in your own head is altered by vibrations. recording allows you to check up on your vocal tone and pitch

Singing while playing
Start with something simple that you know both the lyrics and music like the back of your hand... well enough that you don't need to concentrate on either vocals or rhythm and can concentrate instead on getting the two to fit together.
No matter how well you can play appreciate that you'll have to slow down your playing to make the initial connections.
You could also try recording your strumming and then sing over the recording,  it might help reinforce where the changes should fall with the vocals.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:57:15 pm by Tourniquet »

Offline SJP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 09:49:25 am »
Nice one, ta.

Malicious

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 05:08:27 pm »
The atrius Queensryche guitar and the one bellow it.
I've always wondered how do those guitars sound?
They're so small and strange looking.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 06:24:49 pm »
Both have similar drawbacks. Pickups from the bottom of the bargain bin and only a volume control. maybe one day I'll swap out the volume pot for a tone pot and stick a nicer pickup in, but it's not so bad. The queensryche in particular can handle distortion on the higher frets and still sound OK (where some others end up sounding thin and gutless). I'll try and record a few samples for them over the next few days.

Malicious

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 08:58:02 pm »
Both have similar drawbacks. Pickups from the bottom of the bargain bin and only a volume control. maybe one day I'll swap out the volume pot for a tone pot and stick a nicer pickup in, but it's not so bad. The queensryche in particular can handle distortion on the higher frets and still sound OK (where some others end up sounding thin and gutless). I'll try and record a few samples for them over the next few days.

Looking forward too it.
I always wanted to know what those "exotic" looking guitars sound like :P

Offline ipoo2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 11:52:59 am »
Hey dude!

Any chance you could add a list of your recording gear at some point. I might be going on a splurge myself soon, so looking for some ideas  ;) What was the recording device you had, Zoom I think?

Ta!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App