Author Topic: Bareknuckles Pickups - Mule and SS Rebel Yell , what I think of them.  (Read 3494 times)

julienarrijs

I recently purchased a pair of pickups from Bareknuckles Pickups. They offer one of the best service i've dealt with...the company's boss personally responds to your inquiries and gives you very good advices about what pickups might suit you. So if you're ever considering getting BKP's and if you're not sure about wich one to get..send Tim a mail, the man knows what he's talking about.

I got myself a Mule (as a neck pickup) and Rebell Yell (as a bridge pickup) and i used them to replace the stock pups on my PRS SE singlecut. The PRS stock pups were totally decent. Well calibrated but not articulate enough to my taste and i thought that they somehow lacked of output level.

I got my PRS back from the guitar tech today...while i was at the shop the guy told me by three times how cool he thought those pickups were...since he had never heard of them before ....he looked somehow sceptical when i first told him about my desire to get some of those.

It starts to get VERY interesting when you plug the guitar in your amp.
Boy what a difference in tone...i'm literally amazed, this is not the first time i install different pickups in a guitar, my strat is fitted with dimarzio superdistortion in the bridge position since i wanted more output...but this is a whole different league...

First thing i noticed is how the BKP's react when you fiddle a little bit with the volume and tone knobs....it gives you a very wide tonal range...they also respond to your amp EQ settings much more than the average pickups...you really feel like a can shape your tone with the BKPS

With the Mule ( on the neck position) the PRS sounds like a vintage gibson (somehow brighter since the singlecut body is much lighter than a heavy LP), something like a mix between the joe bonamassa and Jimi Page tone

On the Rebell Yell, it screams like a vintage SG, the output level is very high and starts to shake with the gain around 10' o clock. Even though the mule is not supposed to be as agressive as the Rebell Yell, it really is impressive on high gain settings as well. You can switch from both PUP's anytime without feeling that the mule is not handling it as well as the rebell yell.

On clean settings and crunch the mule is just amazing, well balanced harmonics, great sustain, very very vintage like voicing.

If you're looking for vintage sounding pickups, at least consider the BKP's

I wanted to record some before after video to show you guys what it sounds like but i don't really have any decent recording gear. But you can find plenty of good soundclips on the BKP forum.

Thanks to Dan Graves who talked me into getting BKP's

and to Agordon , if i were you would i get some BKP's...i'd say it depends if you want to turn your PRS into some vintage tone monster....the change in tone is very surprising, you end up with a very very different guitar...when i changed the bridge on my strat the change was of course noticeable but not that drastic....if you like the tone of your prs as it is and are not really looking for something vintage maybe you'll be better off with what you already have but just for the fun of it it might be worth a try ! :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:16:44 pm by julienarrijs »

Offline agordon

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: Bareknuckles Pickups - Mule and SS Rebel Yell , what I think of them.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:26:10 pm »
julienarrijs, thanks for the update/review.  Sounds like you are really happy with how it came out.

On the neck pickup with clean setting do the p/u's have bite?  Also, how do you think it sounds on a blues setting?  How did the pickups fit in the opening of the SE?

Sorry for all the questions, im interested.  ;)
Guitars: Taylor 314CE, Guild D50 Dreadnought, Alvarez RD8, Gibson LP Std. Trad. Pro, Warmoth Custom Strat, MIA Strat, MIM Tele, PRS SE Singlecut
Amps: Blackstar HT-5S, Peavey Classic VT 2X12, Kustom KMA35DFX
Effects: Line6 JM4, Vox Tonelab ST

julienarrijs

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:25:46 pm »
oh yeah i'm delighted

i've just come back from a lesson, my teacher was seduced as well, he was like "man that's very cool, sounds like an old gibson"

on the neck pickup i got a mule with less output level so on cleans it stays clean...but of course not strat clean.

on blues it's just the best, it's very vintaged voiced, it reminds you of the bb king, freddy king , buddy  guy and so on...great vintage tones with maybe a lil more bite, you can nail a bonamassa like tone. I spent a lesson on the neck pickup on "i can't quit you baby " from ledzep, i really enjoyed myself...it def was worth the 200 and some euros.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:48 pm »
Welcome to the bare Knuckle club dude; I was saving a seat for you,
told you to play with that volume and discover how much difference there is now while doing it :)
try it with lots of distortion and the difference is huge

good to hear our recommendations suited you well.

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline agordon

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 04:20:32 pm »
you can nail a bonamassa like tone.
With that statement alone I am sold.  Im thinking a set would be nice for christmas.  ;)
Guitars: Taylor 314CE, Guild D50 Dreadnought, Alvarez RD8, Gibson LP Std. Trad. Pro, Warmoth Custom Strat, MIA Strat, MIM Tele, PRS SE Singlecut
Amps: Blackstar HT-5S, Peavey Classic VT 2X12, Kustom KMA35DFX
Effects: Line6 JM4, Vox Tonelab ST

julienarrijs

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 08:54:42 pm »
Welcome to the bare Knuckle club dude; I was saving a seat for you,
told you to play with that volume and discover how much difference there is now while doing it :)
try it with lots of distortion and the difference is huge

good to hear our recommendations suited you well.

well indeed it suited me well, thanks mate,
i've always been the kind of who plays a lot with the volume and tone knob...and it got funnier now !
you can nail a bonamassa like tone.
With that statement alone I am sold.  Im thinking a set would be nice for christmas.  ;)

wich one would you get ? a pair of mule (they come in calibrated set) or a combo of two different pickups ? i'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about how it compare to your gibson once fitted with the BKP's regarding the quality of the tone

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:01:17 pm »
when you look at ara's list of guitars; he'll be in a dillema :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App