Author Topic: The happy Squier thread!  (Read 32505 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 375
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: The happy Squier thread!
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2018, 07:59:15 pm »
With respect plywood, all of the cons you mention are Strat specific apart from the tuners - and using them is easy (ask for advice if you need or google a video demo)

Offline plywood

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #301 on: May 09, 2018, 09:28:39 pm »
@close2u Yes, I'm sure it gets easier with practice, like everything. Sorry for moaning on a Happy thread :)

There's a vid on youtube where this guy starts showing how to change strings on a left-handed telecaster with the vintage tuners, and about halfway through the string pops out and he has to start over and snip off another inch or so. The comments are full of tips about how to do it right, and he did another video where he nails it. Shame it's left handed, I couldn't follow it because it warped my mind. :D

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 375
« Reply #302 on: May 09, 2018, 10:42:19 pm »
Okay ... pull each string, starting with thick low E string until past its own peg. Pull straight but not tight. With sharp pliers cut off at a distance off at a length that reaches about the D string peg - no more. Push the cut end in, press the string down to a 90 degree angle and hold it down whilst winding the peg so that successive winds go under one another. Each string wants to have a similar length spare - enough to take it about 2 pegs beyond its own. The thinner strings can have a little more. The 2 thickest perhaps a little less. You will learn to gauge this as you do it more - it depends on the height of your tuner as to how much you can spool on without it pushing to the top.

Offline cre8tive1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #303 on: May 10, 2018, 06:03:48 pm »
cre8tive

you wont regret a classic vibe
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cre8tive1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #304 on: May 10, 2018, 06:05:00 pm »
I’m going to throw in a couple of wild cards, I own a Revelation thinline Telecaster, it’s a great guitar and would do what you want, it has P90s which are tonaly in between a SC and a Humbucker Revelation also make a Jazzmaster type guitar that is also very nice,
Links
https://www.allegromusic.co.uk/shop/left-handed-2/revelation-rft-left-handed-electric-guitar/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuMrXBRC_ARIsALWZrIilFm71PaZ_q38wJBGFxDirfaXLxNauqr-XD4d6LZgLKmF-vXzmTdMaAkVQEALw_wcB

https://www.allegromusic.co.uk/shop/left-handed-2/revelation-rjt60-green-burst-maple-thinline-electric-guitar-left-handed/
As regards the Squiers, I had a Classic vibe and it was very nice and would do the job nicely, but I sold mine in favour of the Revelation, which I think is a better (for me) guitar, I may have had a Squier that was a Friday afternoon job but I have heard one or two complaints about hardware and construction that I wasn’t happy with.
Thanks for the tip. I’m in the US so the shipping and currency exchange would make these a bit much.

Offline cre8tive1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #305 on: May 10, 2018, 06:07:44 pm »
If OP is in the US, the CV will be better value, being a local purchase.

I nearly bought a CV here in Aus, but the prices weren't as enticing as they are in the US.
Thanks Drubbing, you are the one who first recommended the Tele to me. I’ve taken over a year to think about it and as you said, I’ve been shocked at how much of my favorite music is played on a Tele.

Looks like Fender/Squire is out of stock currently in the lefty, as are my preferred stores, so the wait continues.

Offline plywood

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #306 on: May 16, 2018, 08:59:04 am »
Thanks close2u - I changed my strings the other day and it was a piece of cake. I dunno what I was on about. Took me way less time than on my acoustic, didn't really have to think about it after the first couple of strings, no problems, stable tuning afterwards. I'm super happy with the result. Vintage tuners all the way ;D

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 375
« Reply #307 on: May 16, 2018, 09:08:31 am »
@ plywood

Glad you got it sorted.

:)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App