Author Topic: JA-027 • II-V-I Chord Sequences  (Read 17317 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:30:41 am by close2u »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

DickT

Re: JA-027 • II-V-I Chord Sequences
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:55:53 pm »
Justin... I love your lessons, in particular the Jazz series -- my new passion. I've been anxiously waiting for these latest series about Functioning and Static Extensions, Altered Harmony, Chords Grips, etc...  the lights (my lights!) finally came on. I've always wanted to understand these b5 #5 b9, #9 extensions/additions and for the life of me I couldn't find anything as well explained as you have. BRAVO! and thanks a million.

Now I have to start exploring on my own all the grips you just went through that opens a whole lot of new possibilites for me. Looking forward to JA-028 & JA-029.

Congratulations also on finishing your new CD!

subseb

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:14:45 am »
Hi Justin, awesome lesson.

A 8:10, you start putting all together and it's really cool. Although i understant it's a bit asking chewing food for me, would you (or someone) put a chord sequence diagram with the lesson ? Replaying again and again moves give a bit of headpain.

Best

kinderpat

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 12:59:21 pm »
Great Lesson, this is just what I'm trying to work out with my teacher.

I love the sound you have on this lesson, could you please post your set-up ? I recognize the Fender Telecaster, but what about any effect/amps etc. ?

Thanks.

Quark

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 01:53:15 pm »
Great lesson Justin, I now see what Robben Ford was trying to explain in his Ojai clinic.Thank you!

W

styler

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 06:20:18 pm »
What would be really fantastic is a follow-up to the ii-V-I lesson on improvisation: What arpeggios and scales (e.g. melodic minor, major) or modes can be played consonantly with your excellent, easy-to-follow examples? I was a blues guitarist with classical training who's come back to the axe after a 34-year dry-spell. Trying to learn jazz this time. Your approach is brilliant. But I would like to know how methodically and melodically to fit all those scales smoothly into that ii-V-I thing. Cheers from Jeff in Biarritz.

dreameral

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:17:03 am »
ty for another great lesson.........you mentioned that you would "some chord boxes up of the common movements that I show you here very soon"..............would be most welcome/helpfull. Keep up the gr8 work (hope your album becomes #1 in UK........may not be too well know here "downunder").

milky1031

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:20:34 am »
Hi Justin, thanx for the lesson
but I have a question about minor II V I progression
we know that major II V I is IIm7 V7 IMaj7
but why is it minor can sometimes be IIm7b5 V7 Im7
and sometimes IIm7 V7 Im7 ??

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 04:27:13 pm »
@dreameral - I should move that - it's on the to do - but making the chord boxes takes ages :( that's why I keep avoiding them...

@milky1031 - see the lesson on demystify the minor scale (scales area)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

tom_curitiba

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 06:15:04 pm »
Hi Justin,

I transcribed you ii V I in comping : between 8'05 and 8'25:

Dm7 case 10, G79+ case 10, C7M (8X10 9 12X), A79+ (: kind of inversion of a C6b9), A79,
Dm7, Dm7/9 (pti dgt case 12), Dm7, G79 6/B (XX9 10 10 12), G79/B,C69, Dm7, C7M (XX10 12 12 12 )

Ok; it's 2 cycles of ii V I but i have one question, what about this bridge between the 2 cycles? it's like you don't jump abruptly from one to another but betwwen there is a VI chord (here a A79+ that seems to be a kind of inversion of a C6b9)..

could you light me up on this? it'd be nice ;-)

thanks

Thomas

TheFrooshinator

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:25:13 pm »
Hi, I have a question.

Why is in a 2-5-1 sequence the 2 a minor chord and the 1 a major chord?
Sorry if this has been posted already.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 11:59:04 am »
Froosh it is only thus in a major key.

All major keys follow the same sequence:

I major
ii minor
iii minor
IV major
V major
vi minor
vii diminished

Welcome to the forum.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

steveo2

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 06:45:15 pm »
Hi, I have a question.

Why is in a 2-5-1 sequence the 2 a minor chord and the 1 a major chord?
Sorry if this has been posted already.
'
The 1 4 5 are major
The 2 3 6 are minor.
You must learn the major scale and be able to play it with chords.
This is just how music works.
1 is tonic or key note.

ph7b5

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 09:51:16 am »
Hey Justin,

This jazz series is really helping me understand so much of the theory behind chords, just a quick question though; in the sequence where you talk about 'comping' the IIm V7 Imaj sequence is followed by a A7 (which would be a VI7), sounds great but why does this work? surely the VI chord should be a m7 chord e.g. Am7 and not a dominant.

steveo2

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 02:22:36 pm »
Hey Justin,

This jazz series is really helping me understand so much of the theory behind chords, just a quick question though; in the sequence where you talk about 'comping' the IIm V7 Imaj sequence is followed by a A7 (which would be a VI7), sounds great but why does this work? surely the VI chord should be a m7 chord e.g. Am7 and not a dominant.
Sorry can't answer b5ths or anyone without using Arabic #
2 4 6
 all are minor chords but change them to major or dominate chords is most common.
It is called secondary dominates you can looked it up or start a new thread but the answer is  the small.

kaoD

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 12:22:48 pm »
To everyone asking about the A7 instead of Amin7:

I'm not sure if what I'm going to say is true, but it's probably. Notice A is actually the V in the key of D which is the next chord in the sequence. You can alter the A7 chord too, since it's functioning! And, if I'm not mistaken, you can use D7 instead of Dmin7 too, because D is the V in the key of G, and probably altering it would work too (as would altering the G7 which is the V of C)

You can go all crazy around these sequences!

Please, bear in mind that whatever I say (or whatever real theory says) might be wrong. Let your ears be your judges!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 02:27:45 pm »
Hey Justin,

He is playing ii V7 I then in that example he follows it with a VI7

vi ii V I is very popular progression so basically he is playing a vi ii V I on the second go round. However to make the vi to ii more powerful. In other words to make that vi pull really hard to resolve to that ii he makes it a Dominant chord. All dominant chords are Major. The 3rd degree is the leading tone to the chord to which it will resolve. Am7 has a 3rd that is C. A7 has a 3rd that is C#. The chord resolves to a D chord next.   C# to D  A7 Dm7 G7 Cmaj7. It gives the whole thing a feel of resolve resolve resolve resolve in chord pairs so to speak.

Gone

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 08:41:49 am »
It's called a secondary Dominant - I just added that to my jazz to do list!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App