Author Topic: mid-guitar pickup crisis  (Read 1704 times)

surfnmusic90

mid-guitar pickup crisis
« on: October 11, 2009, 02:19:44 am »
hello all

so.... i think its time for a change in my tone.

i play a yamaha pacifica which, as you know, is a beginners guitar but to be honest i dont really need to be spending x amount of dollars on a really nice guitar (although i want to) so i was thinking about the pick-ups. ive been playing for a couple years but i dont really have any experience with pickups, i just use the ones that came with my guitar, and i hear people all over the place talk about custom pickups this and new pickups that etc etc.... so its time i get myself up to date.

currently my guitar sounds weak, it gets alright sounds, but the there is no depth to it, and the tone i would ideally like is something smooth round and clean, and with more of a crunchy distortion than loud and muddy. i could just be grasping at straws, but how does one go about finding the right pickups? ive done research but there are literally 10000000s of different types, and i need some 1st hand info. my yamaha has a humbucker and two single coils, so what are the possibilities? i really dont know what im working with but i dont have any qualms about doing a little workshop changes to my guitar.

price is a problem, otherwise id just by an american fender strat. so i was wonder what are the options that i have for changing my tone via new pick-ups. any advice would be appreciated, even better if youve actually worked with custom installed pick ups

sorry i dont know more about it.... thanks in advance

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: mid-guitar pickup crisis
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:23:59 am »
I'm wondering here...
What kind of amp are you using ?

surfnmusic90

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 02:29:43 am »
normally, i would say its the amp as well, but when i go and jam with my friends, we use his amps, and hes got a bunch of high class ones. ive plugged into them all and it sounds good, but nothing compared to a higher quality guitar.

i just have a little ibanez at my house, though, just for practicing and stuff.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 02:35:42 am »
The thing is, when you start replacing pickups, even if you only replace the sinlge coils, you'll be buying gear that, in total, costs more then the Pacifica would cost new.
I'd say make due with what you have, and save up for something hgiher up the scale.

Offline agordon

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 03:12:14 am »
I agree with Dan here.  Better to save up for a different guitar.  Also look for used deals too.  You never mentioned your budget at all???
Guitars: Taylor 314CE, Guild D50 Dreadnought, Alvarez RD8, Gibson LP Std. Trad. Pro, Warmoth Custom Strat, MIA Strat, MIM Tele, PRS SE Singlecut
Amps: Blackstar HT-5S, Peavey Classic VT 2X12, Kustom KMA35DFX
Effects: Line6 JM4, Vox Tonelab ST

Get The Forum As A Mobile App