Author Topic: Dynamic Microphone for Acoustic Guitar Recording  (Read 957 times)

Offline äx

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Dynamic Microphone for Acoustic Guitar Recording
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:33:25 am »
Okay so I just wired up the brand new Shure SM57 which I bought for recording. I was aware that it wasn't specifically designed for acoustic guitars (but seemingly every other instrument) and the Thomann PA guy I talked to said I should give it a shot.

Anyhow, I don't like it. Lots of mids, decent bass, no treble at all. I'll propably return it tomorrow but I'd first like to know if there's any decent dynamic mic for recording singing AND acoustic guitar out there before I'm trying another one and another one and another one and...

So, any recommendations? Proper dynamic guitar mics out there or is there no way around getting a DI-Box and a Condenser? I'm thankful for any advice. =)

Greetings,
äx

Offline Rile

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 0
    • Best guitar for beginners - how to chose the right one
Re: Dynamic Microphone for Acoustic Guitar Recording
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:05:54 pm »
This might help you: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/RT-201-RecordingAcousticGuitar.php, if you haven't read it already. :)

And here: http://www.studioauditions.com/jamroomsessions_home.php, you can hear the sound clips from various mics by different manufacturers.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:07:01 pm »
If you have to go dynamic, try something by Audix and see how you like those.

But yes, you are probably going to end up with a condenser before it's all over.
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:24:47 pm »
AKG C1000S is a decent choice for the money; paid about £90 for mine. This mic will run on a 9v battery as well as phantom power. Not sure as I've never tested it, but one web review states battery life as being at the 110 hour mark. If you can live with changing batteries, that could save you the cost of a DI box, but eventually you may want something with preamps built into it. Lots of people like this mic for acoustic, so you may want to check it out.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App