Author Topic: BS-805 • Wonderwall (Oasis)  (Read 70704 times)

Offline mlerrigo

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BS-805 • Wonderwall (Oasis)
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2015, 12:04:31 pm »
Hi all

When I have my 3rd and 4th(little) finger down continuously to play (as per Justin's video) the song they tend to slip apart from each other at an angle causing the e and b strings to not play properly. Is this me not gripping correctly or does it come with practice? Anybody else have the same problem?

Thanks

Matt

Offline ArtSharon

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2017, 10:09:08 pm »
Not sure if anyone will see this post -- but I have a question with respect to Wonderwall -- I find that it's hard for it not to sound muddled and tinnie -- because of the pinkie playing the high G -- any suggestions?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2017, 10:18:40 pm »
@Art

There's really no good way around it as the distinctive sound needs those chord shapes holding

Keep practicing

Offline diggy87

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2020, 08:29:02 am »
Sorry for opening an old thread up

I've just purchased the book (I'm new to playing) I cant really understand the bars etc in the book, should I be playing 1 bar per chord or 2 chords per bar?

Also it seems a short version in the book, or is it the full length song just minus the solo/outro at the end? (I should probably point out that I haven't played it yet, the book arrived last night so I've only had a look through it)

Tia

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2020, 10:26:29 am »
@digg87 If you look at the book you'll see there are two chords between vertical lines... this means you have to play two chords per bar. This is the same throughout the book.

It's the full song minus intro/outro.. just repeat the chord progression once or twice for intro and outro.

To really get this song sounding like it should you need to read the Strumming section and get that pattern down. It looks complicated but it's not too bad (depending on experience). Watch the video that Justin put together it'll make it much easier.

If you look at the chord diagrams you'll see you only ever move fingers 1&2 throughout the song.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2020, 10:33:40 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry for opening an old thread up

No apology needed on any of these lesson specific threads - they may be dormant but are still very relevant and necessary. :)

(I'm new to playing)

How new?
Wonderwall is a Stage 8 song with a complicated 16th note strumming pattern ... what stage are you at currently?

Offline diggy87

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2020, 10:39:09 am »
@ Rossco01

Thank you that makes a lot more sense :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:54:27 am by close2u »

Offline diggy87

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2020, 10:42:40 am »
@ close2u

Well I started playing in October, I've been slowly working through the Fender play course (just finished level 2) and I have also worked my way through Justins level one course.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:54:50 am by close2u »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2020, 11:57:12 am »
@ close2u

Well I started playing in October, I've been slowly working through the Fender play course (just finished level 2) and I have also worked my way through Justins level one course.

I'm not familiar with Level 2 of the Fender play course ... but Stage 1 of Justin's beginner course is not a sufficient platform for learning Wonderwall to be honest.
There is nothing wrong with looking ahead and aiming to play songs you love ... though that needs tempering with realistic expectation and the avoidance of frustration and disappointment.
Can I suggest you build up to it by following the learning path Justin has perfected over years of teaching ... and do the beginner course as laid out.
:)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2020, 11:59:56 am »
I have uploaded my breakdown of the main strum pattern for intro / verses as a pdf here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ryeazgr44cl8a1/Oasis%20-%20Wonderwall%20main%20strumming%20pattern.pdf?dl=0

Offline diggy87

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2020, 01:57:22 pm »
I'm not familiar with Level 2 of the Fender play course ... but Stage 1 of Justin's beginner course is not a sufficient platform for learning Wonderwall to be honest.
There is nothing wrong with looking ahead and aiming to play songs you love ... though that needs tempering with realistic expectation and the avoidance of frustration and disappointment.
Can I suggest you build up to it by following the learning path Justin has perfected over years of teaching ... and do the beginner course as laid out.
Yes I intend to start following Justins course, I've only just discovered how much content there is and I really like his teaching methods from to first set of lessons that I have worked through, I actually though it was a subscription course but now I know its not, it gives me even more reason to follow along.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App