Author Topic: BS-805 • Wonderwall (Oasis)  (Read 70707 times)

Valiant

Re: BS-805 • Wonderwall (Oasis)
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 08:07:55 pm »
Hello all!

The mostly known basic strumming pattern of Wonderwall by Oasis is well known to me.

Problem is, in this song there is not just 1 strumming pattern. It has a different strumming pattern at the end of each verse which I just can't identify.

Plus, there is a different pattern for the chorus.

I'm having a real hard time finding any instruction video on what these patterns are. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

-Mark

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 09:07:36 pm »
Listen to the song Valiant, then listen again, and again, and again, until the sound of it is in your head.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 10:08:06 pm »
Hello & welcome :)

I thought you were off to learn "Wonderful Tonight", instead  ;) ;D

1) Listen (as above)

2) Don't sweat on it - the pattern doesn't *need* to match the original. Close enough is good enough.

Andy

mattywarr

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 11:55:03 pm »
If it sounds good, it is good :-)

Valiant

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »
I am off learning Wonderfull tonight next to Wonderwall. My teacher says that I should not only practise Wonderwall alone, but I should practise at least two songs :)

I'm talking about the same teacher who referred me to Justin to learn to play the guitar online more, so I guess he's got great advices all over:)

It's difficult trying to get Wonderwall just right with every strumming pattern in place and all that while I've never used a guitar in my life before. I'm putting in around 2 or 3 hours per day of practise on Wonderwall alone. When I looked up Wonderfull tonight, I felt like I got struck by lightning: OMG!! It's so much to learn!:)

Anyways, I'm repeating the wonderwall song untill my ears are bleeding and I'm going slightly mad (queen referrance!), but i'm making slow progress.
I'm still on the lookout for some video where someone just shows it......pure easymode bliss :) And NO, I'm not waiting around and doing nothing in the mean time :)

-Mark

52 Tele

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 07:22:58 pm »
If you watch a few vids of Noel playing it live on acoustic, it's never identical anyway. If you have the right 'feel' or vibe of the song it will be cool.

We want the Valiant version anyway not the 10,000th clone. ;)

Good luck...I'll have a go alongside the record later this week though and try and write down the strumming pattern. I never really analyse strumming mind, I think it's about the 'feel'.

When is the wedding?

James

Valiant

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »
The wedding is on the 9th of september.

I don't really mind being a 'clone'. I'm happy enough that I acually can play a song on the guitar and that people can recognise it for what it is. I do have to get more skill in the strumming so it acually sounds like...a song at all! So hey, yeah.

Valiant

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 09:14:29 pm »
This is a very bad recording of a very bad me trying to play.
Nevertheless, I'm brave enough to post it since I am looking for help. I clearly have trouble with the speed...the clearness and strum patterns.

Help!

http://soundcloud.com/valiantshield/wonderwall-acoustic-practising

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 11:04:40 pm »
I'd say 'close enough' isn't good enough for this one.
Why?
Because Wonderwall is one of those songs that is so recognizable in it's strumming pattern. ;)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 11:06:40 pm »
OK, I listened.

I didn't think it was too bad, especially at the beginning, but the really big thing you could do to improve it is to sort out muting the low E string when it isn't needed.

Justin uses the thumb on his fretting hand to mute the low E string on the 'D' and 'A' chords, and the tip of his 2nd finger for the 'C' chord.

Justin doesn't make a big thing of this in the lesson, but you can see him doing it in when he plays the song at the start of the lesson (look at his left thumb), and when he demonstrates the 'C' chord (look at the tip of his 2nd finger on his left hand).

When you get that sussed, try playing along with the record to get the rhythm, and you should be there :)

Andy

Cue: Close enough to be recognisable, but it doesn't have to match every detail of the original - It's all in the vibe, yes ??

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 07:14:55 am »
check out the versions posted in this guitar challenge thread

http://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=15733.0

and maybe post yours their too when you feel more confident about it

:)

ddudek

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 08:20:51 pm »
I need help!  Love this song!  Got the beginning down good, but having some trouble on the strumming pattern starting with..."and all the roads we have to walk are winding"...all the way through..."cuz maybe you're gonna be the one who saves me".   I know the notes to play there, but I can't seem to get a good rhythm of strumming down, and I'm not good enough YET to make up my own.  Any help is so much appreciated!!!  Thanks!! 

Offline pipsickle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 04:33:50 pm »
This might be a slightly cheeky question, as the answer is probably just play the version in the book for now/ listen to the recording and try to transcribe it ... but does anyone know whether the Ryan Adams cover of this song uses the same chords?

I'm only on stage 8 of the beginners course so I should probably just hold my horses for now  :D

Offline BrooklynRyan

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 06:58:27 pm »
What I have (from the bottom of Justin's "tab" is:

Code: [Select]
Em                  G                 D            A                 
D  (D)   D   D U  D U D    D   D U  D U D    D   D U    U   U  D U D U
X X X X  X X X X  X X X X  X X X X  X X X X  X X X X  X X X X  X X X X

The chord changes happen on the up-strums.

(Note the chord names are abbreviations for Em7, Dsus4 &  A7sus4)

HTH

Andy

This ties into my question.  This is the strumming pattern that Justin goes over on the video lesson--changes on the up strums.  However, in my version of the beginners song book, the tab (page 171) shows the change to the Dsus4 coming on the down strum.  Is this a typo in the book?  Or did Justin just show all the changes as up strums in the video lesson to make things a bit easier/consistent?

Offline BrooklynRyan

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 07:51:03 pm »
I apologize, I know this has been asked but it's still unclear to me.  What is the strumming pattern for the Cadd9, Dsus4 A7sus4 bit at the end of the first verse?  And if anyone has the strumming pattern for the bridge please post it.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 11:30:14 am »
I've misplaced my beginner's song book at the moment ( :( ), so I can't check on the pattern there.

Just remember that the strumming hand *always* moves with a steady down-up-down-up movement - it should be moving down on the beat in this song, and again on the 'ands' between the beats (since it is a 16th note strumming pattern).

If you listen carefully to the original while moving your hand like that^ (either with the strings muted on the guitar, or just 'air guitar style), you will be able to pick out where the strumming falls - It won't come straight away, but it's a useful skill to practice that will let you break free of strings of Ds and Us.

In any case, the aim is to make it sound 'right', whatever pattern that ends up being - i.e. concentrate on making the sound using whatever it takes from your (steadily moving) strumming hand without worrying about down and ups, rather than making your hand perform a series of down and up strums, then trying to fit that to the music.

Slowing the original down and playing along to it will likely help. (There are several free ways of doing this, including plain old Windows media player).

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 09:58:45 pm »
Just remember that the strumming hand *always* moves with a steady down-up-down-up movement - it should be moving down on the beat in this song, and again on the 'ands' between the beats (since it is a 16th note strumming pattern).

If you listen carefully to the original while moving your hand like that^ (either with the strings muted on the guitar, or just 'air guitar style), you will be able to pick out where the strumming falls - It won't come straight away, but it's a useful skill to practice that will let you break free of strings of Ds and Us.

In any case, the aim is to make it sound 'right', whatever pattern that ends up being - i.e. concentrate on making the sound using whatever it takes from your (steadily moving) strumming hand without worrying about down and ups, rather than making your hand perform a series of down and up strums, then trying to fit that to the music.

I just want to say that approaching strumming this way, rather than the whole "DDDUDUDD" approach, improved my playing immensely and I'm not sure who first gave me the tip, but it's probably the best guitar-related advice I've received. Being able to listen to a song and just start strumming along with it really helps to improve your ear and, in my opinion at least, makes your playing sound much more natural than if you are trying to think "DUD" or whatever as you're playing.

Offline BrooklynRyan

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 12:52:29 am »
I don’t want to come across as a jerk but it’s frustrating when you ask someone a black and white question (do you have the strumming pattern featured on the record for XYZ part of a song) and they don’t respond with a definitive answer.  It’s analogous to asking someone for directions and the person starts extolling the benefits of map reading.  Yes, I’ve listened to the song over and over (in capo).  I’ve attempted to strum along with the song so many times that I’ve begun to lose my marbles.  It’s a blow to the ego to not be able to “get” something but getting good at these skills takes years—especially with an offbeat rhythm / shifting pattern.  In the meantime, I want to play the song correctly.  No sense in using a subpar strumming pattern just to unlearn the muscle memory later.  There are endless videos on youtube with the opening strumming pattern but everyone leaves out the strumming pattern at the end of the first verse and the bridge/chorus or they dumb it down so much that it doesn’t even sound like the song.  This is an iconic song.  Is it too much to ask for a complete lesson?

Offline Melsie

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2014, 01:17:39 am »
I apologize, I know this has been asked but it's still unclear to me.  What is the strumming pattern for the Cadd9, Dsus4 A7sus4 bit at the end of the first verse?  And if anyone has the strumming pattern for the bridge please post it.

Hey Ryan, I play the whole song with the 4 bar repeating pattern Justin describes in the video i.e.
D   D   D   D U
D U D   D   D U
D U D   D   D U
  U   U D U D U

where the change into the second and third bars is delayed by half a beat, and the change into the 4th bar is pushed half a beat. The only deviation I use is in the bridge, which I think is this progression:
Cadd9               Dsus4            Em7             Em7
Cadd9               Dsus4            Em7             Em7
Cadd9               Dsus4            G | Dadd4/F#    Em7
A7sus4              A7sus4           A7sus4          A7sus4

For the bridge, I still use the same pattern but I don't delay the change to the G chord by half a beat; I change to it on the 1. I don't know if it's exactly what's on the record but it sounds ok to me.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2014, 12:33:24 am »
@ BrooklynRyan-

I do apologize for not giving you a specific set of strums to follow, but I don't have a specific pattern that I follow and I never really analyze strumming patterns with the 'DU' notation thing so I thought I'd try to help by giving some more general guidance. Hopefully Melsie's post will be more beneficial to you.

It may not be the simple solution you were searching for, but misterG and I were trying to give you advice that will help you strum along to any song, not just Wonderwall.

While a set strumming pattern will get you playing along to this song more quickly, the next time you come across a complex pattern you'll have to go look up the pattern for that, and on and on to no end. To use your map analogy, if I tell you to take a left, right, then another left you might get to your destination this time, but you still won't be able to read the map and I'll have to give you directions again when it becomes right, left, then right.

When I first started playing I approached it the way you are doing now, but after a while I realized that was not the best way to go about it and after practicing what misterG has outlines above I was able to avoid the D's and U's for the most part. It shouldn't take years to improve to the point where you can figure out most any song in a reasonable amount of time. It might be slow going at first but it'll pay off.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 11:01:08 pm »
...  No sense in using a subpar strumming pattern just to unlearn the muscle memory later...

Just to pick up on that: Strumming patterns most definitely *aren't* muscle memory (IMHO) - it's all about the groove and the rhythm of the song. Sure, you need to get the mechanics of your 1/16th note strumming down until it is rock solid (by practicing with a metronome, etc.), but whether you strum on a particular beat, and if so, how hard is determined by feel, rather than any specific pattern. You *don't* need to have the "correct" pattern from the start - just play the song (4 down strums, even), and as you get more relaxed and confident with it, you'll gradually be able to add or miss strums to get it sounding as close to the original as you wish.

To pick up on your directions / map reading analogy (and to try and assure you that I'm not being awkward! :) ) It feels like we've given you the directions, but now you want to know how many footsteps to take, and whether you should move the right foot or the left foot first ;)

I haven't got anything written down about strumming patterns other than what I've already posted. There are some excellent suggestions above (and on the previous page), so you have something to work on.

Good luck, whatever, and stick with it. :)

Offline w_ww_me

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Almost finished the Beginners Course
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2014, 12:30:42 pm »
The strumming pattern for Verse 1 is:

E                 G                   D             A

DDDDUD      UDDDUD       UDDD      UUUDUDU

But at the end there is a variation -  Cadd9    Dsus4     A7sus4   

What is the strumming pattern for  the end of Verse 1?

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 02:46:18 pm »
Cadd9      Dsus4      A7sus4
D-D-D-DU DUD-D-D- DUD-D-DU-UD-DUD-

Something like that is what I can pick up from the recording.
Production and mixing

Offline w_ww_me

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Almost finished the Beginners Course
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2014, 07:07:15 pm »
I can play the intro -

E                      G                 D                     A
DDD DUD          UDDDUD     UDDD              UUU DUDU

Simples.

I can't get my head around the end of verse 1, verse 2 is the same as the intro so that's okay and the rest of if; I just don't get it.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:55 pm »
That's how I play the end of verse 1.
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App