Author Topic: BC-183 • 12 Bar Blues Style  (Read 39740 times)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: BC-183 • 12 Bar Blues Style
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2017, 11:15:12 am »
The Metronome by Soundbrenner does it if you are on andriod, as far as I remember it was free.

Offline smoe

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2017, 01:59:23 pm »
One trick I found that helped to learn the shuffle, was to tap the scratch plate with the pick after the down stroke, so using the one-trip-let, I done down-tap-up.

Another general tip: Always keep your strumming hand moving in some way. Don't hold it still when your not playing a note/chord (this often leads to rushed hits too early or late on the next beat). Either do the whole movement without hitting the strings or "suggest" (not sure what the correct english term is) the strum. Those won't always be possible or useful at higher tempos but help you keeping a steady rhythm at slower tempos and to get the hang of a pattern.

Watch Justin right hand in the beginning of this song to see what i mean.

BC started: Mid December, 2016
Current stage: 3

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2017, 10:55:03 pm »
I generally find that doing the shuffle at 50 BPM is harder than 70 BPM. It's one of the only cases where slower is not easier.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline michaelholmes

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2017, 05:23:49 pm »
The first part of the video justin points his fretting hand fingers towards him.
Later on when he explains it more he is pointing more to the ceiling.
Is there one good technique or can you apply both?

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2017, 06:23:03 pm »
Michael

By flattening the fingers, you mute the strings you don't want to ring out. So to start with you'll be more worried about cleanly fretting the two notes and just hitting the two strings. Once the tempo ramps up you're like to stray onto the strings below. By lowering the fingers you mute these.

Comes in handy when when you move onto the Blues Rhythm Course, where you play the same 12BB fast, strumming ALL 6 six strings but muting the 4 that shouldn't be ringing out. As usual Justin is building a foundation here for future progress/courses/development.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline michaelholmes

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2017, 06:58:09 pm »
Thanks for your input.
It makes sense to me know.
CY

Offline Bleeding2

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2017, 05:36:25 pm »
About the right (picking hand). Are you supposed to let it touch the bridge* for support or does it float? Can't tell from the video. 

*crappy auto correct :p
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:38:06 pm by Bleeding2 »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2017, 07:34:29 pm »
About the right (picking hand ). Are you supposed to let it touch the bride for support or does it float?

Depends if you're the groom.

Depends if it's pre or post wedding.

;) ;)

Offline Bleeding2

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2017, 09:02:48 pm »
Depends if you're the groom.

Depends if it's pre or post wedding.

;) ;)

About the right (picking hand). Are you supposed to let it touch the bridge* for support or does it float? Can't tell from the video.

*crappy auto correct :p

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2017, 11:21:45 pm »
 :)

There's not really right or wrong here imho

Some rest on the bridge
Some anchor their little finger on the body below the thin e string
Some float

Try to see what works for you

Offline SibeDad

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2017, 12:45:27 am »
Justin instructs to use 1st finger on 2nd fret of 4th string and 3rd finger to play this 12 bar blues.
I have been previously taught in flat picking to use 1st finger-1st fret, 2nd finger-2nd fret, etc.
Does it matter if I were to do this 12 bar blues using 2nd and 4th finger? Or, will it screw me up on future lessons.
1982 Picador 6 string
2017 Norman B50-12 string

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2017, 01:12:25 am »
Four fingers covering four frets is a sensible guideline.
BUT
If you move your first finger away from fret 1 then your fingers cover frets other than 1, 2, 3 & 4.
You need to make sure hat very simple logical step.
And do not use fingers 2 & 4 for this at all.
It will mess you up very badly down the line.

Offline mminyard

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2018, 02:40:54 pm »
I'm having trouble achieving a clean sound for this lesson and also on BC-194, 12 Bar Blues Variations.  My main issue is when progressing from the thicker strings to the thinner strings.  For example, progressing from the E chord on the 9th bar to the D chord for the 10th bar.  When I do that, the E (6th) and A (5th) strings continues to sound.

I think Justin addresses this with the comment, "The outer palm of your picking hand should rest lightly on the thickest string when it needs to be muted for the A and D chords."  I don't understand how to do that.  I have moved on including to lesson BC-192 "Power Chord Shifts and Palm Mutes," and I think I am doing the palm mute as described in that lesson correctly.  In that example though, I'm muting all of the strings with my palm.  I'm not for sure how to just palm mute the 6th string or 6th and 5th strings and still be able to reach the 4th and 3rd strings to strum them for the D chord.

I did see an earlier post under this topic about using the thumb over the top to mute, and I am working on that.  Doing so is stretch for me particularly when trying to extend my 4th finger to 5th fret of whatever string I'm on (for the variations in BC-194). 

If anyone has any advice or a pointer to a lesson that addresses how to mute only some strings with the palm of my strumming hand while still reaching the other strings to strum, I would greatly appreciate it.

Matt

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 55
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2018, 01:15:44 pm »
I'm a thumb over man, myself.

Out of interest, I just tried to use the edge of my palm to mute the strings (as opposed to a power chord 'palm mute'). The right hand did feel kind of weird - I had to sort of rear it up, as if my hand were pretending to be a lazy, but angry cobra. The meaty bit on the side, just above the bottom side wrist bone knob, the part you would use in a 1970s style Kung Fu chop, was on the thickest two strings, and the hand cobra-ed, with the thumb and index finger curled down to delicately strum the top four strings, like a bird. A crane, perhaps.

I would recommend lifting the right hand, cobra style, until it only touched two strings. If it is touching more, keep rearing. If it is only touching one, then you have gone too far. Then, strum using the pick.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Bleeding2

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2018, 07:23:15 pm »
Hallo,

I've got a question about the palm muting.

From the beginner's course:
The picking hand has a few jobs going on, it sometimes does a palm mute, or a partial mute but to get a real distinctive shuffle it also does a full mute between each pair of notes. So,it goes note, mute, note note, mute, note note, mute, note note etc.

1) Justin writes: note, mute, note note, mute, note note, etc (see quote).
Does he mean note note, mute, note note, mute, note note, etc. ?

By offbeat I mean the 'and' between beats.
2) If so what this means is that I play beat 1 and the offbeat clean, then mute beat 2 (with my palm) quickly pull off and play the offbeat clean. Repeat for beat 3 and 4 and?

Thanks in advance for anwsering

Get The Forum As A Mobile App