Author Topic: BC-175 • Rhythm Guitar Basics 5  (Read 16758 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • justinguitar.com
BC-175 • Rhythm Guitar Basics 5
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:18:26 pm »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:34:13 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

z0s0

Re: BC-175 • Rhythm Guitar Basics 5
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 01:20:21 pm »
I was wondering when would be a proper time to put our rhythm patterns in actual play ? And when learning a song for the particular stage should we learn it with downstrums only or.. ? I mean, Justin recommends that we should be practicing the patterns without putting them in songs. Im asking this because i have some little issues with the shuffle rhythm - when i was at stage 5 i have practiced the pattern for some days, i got comfortable with playing the pattern itself but when im playing Blues in G or Blues in E i make mistakes in the changes between G7 - C7 and E7 - B7 and that's for some reason because im playing them with the shuffle, but when im strumming it with 4 downstrums everything is just fine, i have the same problem with this one - pattern #16 - it's so weird..  ???
Any ideas why is that? Or i just have to practice the patterns a little more ?

Offline Phalanx

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 04:52:43 pm »
I was wondering when would be a proper time to put our rhythm patterns in actual play ? And when learning a song for the particular stage should we learn it with downstrums only or.. ? I mean, Justin recommends that we should be practicing the patterns without putting them in songs. Im asking this because i have some little issues with the shuffle rhythm - when i was at stage 5 i have practiced the pattern for some days, i got comfortable with playing the pattern itself but when im playing Blues in G or Blues in E i make mistakes in the changes between G7 - C7 and E7 - B7 and that's for some reason because im playing them with the shuffle, but when im strumming it with 4 downstrums everything is just fine, i have the same problem with this one - pattern #16 - it's so weird..  ???
Any ideas why is that? Or i just have to practice the patterns a little more ?
I don't think there is a specific rule about when you should start learning songs with that strumming patterns, you just have to look what works best for you. For me personally, I'd like to practise the pattern very slowly, say at 60 BMP, till I get it perfect and them move it up. And when I can play perfectly at say 80/100 BMP including changing chords perfectly (because that is hard if your focusing on your strumming hand) I just start to use it in some cool patterns or songs. A good for this stage is 'Pink bullets' by The Shins, great song!

But really, what works for me might not work for you. Just figure out what works best for you. I like to learn songs right the first time, so I always use the correct pattern. But I start it very slowly, again at say 60 BPM, and when you can play it perfectly at that rate move it up. Hope that helps!

z0s0

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 11:12:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice, Phalanx i will try to work it out somehow  :)

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:42:29 am »

I am doing something wrong (catching the pick on the up strum all over the place) and watching Justin do it right is not helping me enough.  I can't identify the moment that I went off track or how to bring myself back if I keep moving, but it's stunningly blingly blangy with stings vibrating like they're chanting "om."   The down strum is pleasant enough.  But the up strum is all wrong.  I don't know if it's a pick problem or a movement problem or the way I'm holding my arm or wrist.   How do I identify the problem? 

I am using a very soft 48 mm Dunlop pick and also another pick that is probably only marginally thicker.  In many things that I begin I tend to be bold and in a hurry and kind of what, loud?  Vigorous?  I really want to be soft and gentle with this strumming stuff before I go locomotive. 

I did get some nice sound when I used the flat side of the pick instead of the tip by accident.  But I fear doing this as a habit will not serve me in the long run.  It does seem reasonable tho that the tip of the pick is going to be more difficult to get a soft sound with than a larger area.  I used my fingers for the first couple of weeks that I was playing and that was almost preferable to the sound I am making at the moment on the up strum.

Can anyone advise?

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:58:45 am »

Where the red line is the pick angle relative to the strings make sure you have an angle and are not flat as in the middle picture.
Should make upstrums a whole lot easier.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:12:06 pm »
I just had an aha moment, I think I am three plus months of playing now.  The pick was catching everywhere when I did an upstrum a month ago.   It sounded like bling blang plonk plink and not prettily.  It was actually hard to keep playing, it sounded like I was torturing the guitar.

Of course it would have been worse to not play at all, so I kept at it.  And I didn't notice when it got better a little at a time, but it did.  And I didn't notice but six weeks went by...

Then today,  all of a sudden I felt like the pick was moving through hot butter :o :) :) ;D ;D ;D 8).  The sound was clean, clear, lovely.  Not every strum, but enough of them that it was actually a little thrilling. 

Oh the little things, how they can shine. 

If anyone else is at the plink plonk phase, don't despair.  And remember there is something entirely charming about beginner's mind.  I really want to play well, but I will miss this state of being pleased with the little things.  Beginning is a great place to be on a journey. 

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:19:05 pm »
Nice pic that one Tourni :)

And that is great Pat - well done - those little triumphs can make all the difference!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

freokid

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 03:27:51 pm »
So im noticing all the Base notes for the open chords are on the the top (thickest) string of the chord. Is this always the case with open chords?
If so it makes things nice and easy to figure out.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 11:26:55 pm »
Hi Freokid,

Good noticing. :) Generally, all chords have bass note on the thickest string that you play.

Having said that, as long as you play the right notes from the chords (in any order) it is still the chord and these are referred to as inversions.

A couple of specific types of inversions that will be useful for you to learn in time will be slash chords and triads - if you go to the justinguitar site and click on chords in the left hand side index all will be revealed :)

Edit: or to save time http://www.justinguitar.com/en/CH-000-Chords.php
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

freokid

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:52:46 pm »
Thanks  for the advice Bootstrap. Ill have a look at that.   :)

Reemz

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:31 pm »
Hello everyone , i`m new here on the forum.
I have a question about this rhythm lesson. You see i`m a fingerstyle player and i really dont like playing with a pick. But this rhythm just seems unnatural to play with my fingers. And i think it`s a lot easier to play with a pick.
So my question is: is it really weird to play this strumming pattern with your fingers? Or is my unnatural feeling just because i`m not used to play this pattern with my fingers?

I want to apoligize for my bad English, i`m a Dutch teenager ;D.
Cyaa

Diesel McGunner

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 03:28:43 pm »
Quick question, is it really important to play the bass note with a down pick? I find it much easer to keep time when I play the bass as an upstrke on my way up from the upstrum of the entire chord.  can play it as a down pick but I find it much more difficult and I make more mistakes. Is it ok to play it with an up stroke or is that a flaw in my technique?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »
Is it ok to play it with an up stroke or is that a flaw in my technique?

I wouldn't do that - the bass note (in these lessons) is supposed to fall on the 1st beat of the bar (the '1' in the 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + count). Playing it as as up-stroke will throw the rhythm out completely (you'll be playing it as the '+' after thr 4 beat, or trying to force your hand to play uneven rhythms).

So a "No" from me  ;)

Andy

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »
Hello everyone , i`m new here on the forum.

Hi :)

I have a question about this rhythm lesson. You see i`m a fingerstyle player and i really dont like playing with a pick. But this rhythm just seems unnatural to play with my fingers. And i think it`s a lot easier to play with a pick.
So my question is: is it really weird to play this strumming pattern with your fingers? Or is my unnatural feeling just because i`m not used to play this pattern with my fingers?

I know that people can and do play this type of rhythm with their fingers (thumb for the bass then use the back of the nails of the first two fingers to strum the rest, for example).

I think that the majority of people learn with a pick  It is a preference - if it feels better, then use a pick - it does take time to get used to one, though.

Andy

Get The Forum As A Mobile App