Author Topic: BC-172 • Power Chords 1  (Read 56507 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: BC-172 • Power Chords 1
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2017, 07:50:07 pm »
Thanks Richard, makes perfect sense.

Offline mikec

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:59 pm »
I am making progress on my power chords on my acoustic guitar.  Most are fine but I am having difficulty cramming all my fingers into the very narrow frets higher up the neck.  I am finding that my positioning up there means my little finger is doing some of the muting of the higher strings.  That seems fine most of the time but when playing D5 in particular there is a tendency for it to lay across the 12th fret and the higher strings,if hit, ring out with a harmonic.  Any tips please.

Offline PeterU

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2018, 09:04:38 pm »
I've just finished stage 7 and had the same issue but in stage 8 it shows you an alternative positioning which once we start to move between 5th and 6th string roots overcomes this.

I'm into rock and metal and know that most times  power chords are played up to about the 7th or 8th fret and by switching between the two it covers all the notes.

My view is this is probably not worth worrying about too much as by stage 9 we learn easier ways to play them by switching so I'm parking it till then.

Look at the lesson on pretty fly by the offspring to see what I mean as that's a fast switch in what for the verse is basically a rectangular shape between fret 2 and fret 7.

What I have done is to switch to a two fingered power chord instead from about fret 9 up which takes the little finger out of the mix and means I can get the ring finger better positioned higher up the fret board.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline mikec

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2018, 09:40:22 pm »
Thanks Peter, that is really helpful.

Mike

Offline Alonso

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
    • Evolución MA
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2018, 06:54:21 am »
Hi all, this is my first time posting in the forum. I'm loving the website and the lessons, for real.

I'm having some difficulties with my first power chords. I'm trying the sequence that Justin suggests in this lesson: F-Bb-Ab-Db (hope that's the right way to write "flat"). No problem with F, Bb and Ab, but Db is tricky. Because it is so high up the mast, there's not much room for fingers 3 and 4, so a lot of times the 5th string (finger 3) doesn't sound properly. The size of my fingers shouldn't be a problem. I'm a  man, but my hands are the size of a woman's.

I haven't followed the lessons in order. I have followed the Getting started and the Stage 1 lessons step by step, and then skipped everything else and went straight to the power chords. The reason is that my jamming buddy can play wicked rock/metal improvisations, which sound great with power chords rhythms, so I want to become fluent in power chording ASAP.

I started playing the guitar many years ago, and I have taken about two years of guitar lessons (with about four or five teachers), and practiced my skills now and then over the years, so I'm not a total newbie.

My question: Is there any tip in the lessons I skipped that deals with this particular issue?

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2018, 07:19:39 am »
I think Justin meant you to use the B and D flat on the 5th string so it goes F with 6th string root, B flat with a 5th string root, A with 6th string root and D with 5th again

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 149
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2018, 07:39:44 am »
Hi Alonso and welcome to the forum!

If you're a bit experienced and you need a kickstart to get jamming soon; there's no real harm done but just to make sure, at a time you need to verify if your "brilliance on the basics" is good.

If you can play open chords very fluently and still struggle with powerchords; you can just as well play open chords but hit only the 2 or 3 lowest strings. As you get better with powerchords, you can gradually shift.

Travelling some distance over the neck and making all the strings sound nice on arrival on the fret can be tricky. Don't be discouraged by this issue; it is part of the muscle-memory you need to develop.
Try practicing the chord seperately but also the movement to it. It's important you image when your fingers will land and you see it happening in your head. It will go slow at first because you'll be counting frets at first but it will get better. Your muscle memory will give you the reflex of quickly moving to the right spot and your eyes will verify a smooth landing.

It will take some time so don't wait to learn other things in the meantime. just don't forget to keep paying attention to it.

There was a period I didn't play any power chords and when I needed to do them and play a Eb higher up the neck; I often fumbled. Honestly, there is a little part in a song of ours that does some power chord jumps over 2 strings and it tricks me sometimes :)

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Alonso

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
    • Evolución MA
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2018, 02:42:28 pm »
If you can play open chords very fluently and still struggle with powerchords; you can just as well play open chords but hit only the 2 or 3 lowest strings. As you get better with powerchords, you can gradually shift.
Looks like my post was a bit misleading. In spite of all the time I've practiced in the past I still struggle with the basics. I plan to go back to the beginning and do all the lessons in order once I feel more or less confident with my power chords.

I think Justin meant you to use the B and D flat on the 5th string so it goes F with 6th string root, B flat with a 5th string root, A with 6th string root and D with 5th again
Interestingly, Justin doesn't say anything about that in this lesson, but he does say just that in the next lesson about power chords (stage 8 ). So I'm just doing this for now. I hope that once I get more used to playing power chords in the lower frets it becomes easier in the higher frets.

Thank you for your replies :)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2018, 01:58:34 pm »
Alonso

Good advice here but even if you're a "born again" player, I'd recommend going over all the BC stages, lesson by lesson and in order. You will be certain to learn some new stuff and maybe enhance what you thought you already knew. Shouldn't take too long if you taken a similar route in the past but be honest with yourself, guarantee will pay dividends in the future.

Just my 2 centimes

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Alonso

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
    • Evolución MA
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2018, 05:00:06 pm »
Absolutely. I'm doing that as well. I jumped forward to the power chords because it would take a long time to get there if I go step by step. But I'm also checking the first lessons step by step.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2018, 07:42:52 pm »
Absolutely. I'm doing that as well. I jumped forward to the power chords because it would take a long time to get there if I go step by step. But I'm also checking the first lessons step by step.

Top man ;)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App