Author Topic: BC-168 • JUSTIN training exercises  (Read 6072 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 145
    • justinguitar.com
BC-168 • JUSTIN training exercises
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:14:39 pm »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:36:28 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Yo Chocola

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-168 • JUSTIN training exercises
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:30:01 pm »
Hello folks! So, JUSTIN training exercises is the most difficult part of Justin's course for me. I do a lot of mistakes every time I try to recognize chords or chords sequences (I try to do it directly, without attempting to find appropriate chord on guitar).
Could you please give me some hints how to force my ears get it in the right way?
I know you would say I should practice a lot, and I'm trying to do it by performing JUSTIN training for several times. But the point is that after doing it for 3-4 times I remember almost all the chords and chord sequences and I'm unable to try to recognize them objectively.
P.S. Looking forward to any reply and thanks in advance!
P.P.S. Sorry for my poor English :)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 143
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:10:43 pm »
You need to practice with a guitar and get your ears accustom to the slight differences in the chords.

Start with an A major strum it a couple of times. Listen very closely to the sound. Then do the same with
A minor and A7. Them Play all three one after another. You need to get the sounds into your head.

Trying to guess what a chord is with out knowing what it sounds like is like trying to explain the color red
to someone who has never seen colors.

Offline Arnaudno

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:11 am »
Hi guys,

It took me about 20 min to complete all three exercices (still with a couple of mistakes  >:( ) and I'd like to hear other beginners' opinions on how much time they needed.

Happy playing :)

Offline Sandman68

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 09:03:06 pm »
I'm at stage 4 and find I'm getting better with picking up the changes. I think that for ear training it's something that I'll revisit as I learn more.

Offline Arnaudno

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 11:02:49 am »
Yeah indeed, I re-did it this morning and it was a lot easier than last time :)

Offline Henry Krinkle

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 09:08:45 pm »
This is a long dormant thread but figured I'd throw out a question which has been nagging me through all the JUSTIN training exercises.  I actually find them easy and usually get most correct on my first try.  So for each stage I generally do the exercises once, but I always felt like I was missing something not checking of that box on my practice schedule. 

If I'm consistently getting them right on the first try, should I just move on and spend time on songs or something else (which is what I do)?  Or am I missing something about the exercise?

Thanks in advance.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 01:16:21 pm »
Justin just released a new series of ear training lessons.  There is also an online app that goes along with the new program.  I would suggest trying the new lessons and using the app. 
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline Henry Krinkle

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 04:20:19 am »
Forgot about that.  Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T580 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline IcedCream

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 09:12:13 pm »
Are Stage 5 & 6 in the wrong places? I've noticed that both can have 2 different types of chord in a bar, but Stage 5 uses 7 chords, but 6 doesn't.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App