Author Topic: BC-175 • Rhythm Guitar Basics 5  (Read 14948 times)

dougster

Re: BC-175 • Rhythm Guitar Basics 5
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 08:27:46 pm »
Hello!
I love the sound of this pattern, and I hear a lot of variations of pick-strum in music. But I am having trouble getting my accuracy to improve with this when the chord root is on the 4th or 5th string. It seems like about 7 times out of 8 I'll hit the right root, but those misses are hard to stamp out. Is there any way to help "feel" where to pick? Or do I just need to slow waaay down below 60 bpm, like to 30 or so, until I've got perfect accuracy and then wind it back up? How've some of you overcome this challenge?

This is the one big thing that's keeping me from graduating the beginners course!

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 07:49:16 am »
First off, occasional misses in alternate bass strumming are kind of normal, it happens to the best of them ;)

Slowing down is good, but only as far as makes sense. You should practice slightly below your limit to gradually extend your "comfort zone".

What helped me with this when I started out was doing picking excercises to learn to hit specific strings, e.g. (string numbers) 6 5 6 4 6 3 6 2 6 1 and back again, or 6 1 5 1 4 1 3 1 2 1 and back. You can make them up as you go along (variety is key, you're practicing accuracy, not learning a pattern).

The rest of it is really just practice. You need to get your picking hand to pick the correct root note without thinking much about it.

One useful trick: like in normal strumming, try muting the 6th string with your thumb when it's not wanted, esp. when it's a chord that doesn't contain the note E. That way, if e.g. you're playing a D chord an accidentally hitting the low E, you get a little "thud" at most, but you don't turn the chord into something different.

YuzukiXx

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 01:14:26 pm »
Hi Freokid,

Good noticing. :) Generally, all chords have bass note on the thickest string that you play.

Having said that, as long as you play the right notes from the chords (in any order) it is still the chord and these are referred to as inversions.

A couple of specific types of inversions that will be useful for you to learn in time will be slash chords and triads - if you go to the justinguitar site and click on chords in the left hand side index all will be revealed :)

Edit: or to save time http://www.justinguitar.com/en/CH-000-Chords.php

Hi, everyone =)

I got a bit confused after watching the video, why did Justin say the bass note of A minor is on the 5th string?
Link to the video: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-175-RhythmBasics5.php (from 2:24)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 02:53:11 pm »
Hi, everyone =)

I got a bit confused after watching the video, why did Justin say the bass note of A minor is on the 5th string?
Link to the video: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-175-RhythmBasics5.php (from 2:24)

Hi, and welcome :)

Do you remember when you learnt the A, A7 and A minor chords that you had to avoid playing the thick E string (6th String)?

It's the same here - The lowest note in the normal A minor chord is the open A string, so that is the one that's used as the bass note.

Any clearer?

Andy

YuzukiXx

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 01:42:04 am »
Hi, everyone =)

Hi, and welcome :)

Do you remember when you learnt the A, A7 and A minor chords that you had to avoid playing the thick E string (6th String)?

It's the same here - The lowest note in the normal A minor chord is the open A string, so that is the one that's used as the bass note.

Any clearer?

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for your prompt reply  :D

Just to make sure I can understand, is the bass note for D major chord the open D string? But then this is not the case for G major chord. (we have to play the open E string instead) ?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 08:57:23 am »
Just to make sure I can understand, is the bass note for D major chord the open D string? But then this is not the case for G major chord. (we have to play the open E string instead) ?

Yes, the bass note for the D chord is the D string.

For the G chord, it isn't the open E sting - When you're playing a G chord, the thick E string is fretted at the 3rd fret, so when you pluck the E string you get a G note - the correct bass note for the G chord (rather than the E note that the open string would give).

Andy

Offline Porpoise

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 04:35:59 pm »
Just wondering: on the end of that lesson, a more fancy strumming patern is shown. Is there any video that talks about these more advanced strum/picking paterns? I  bought the Really Usefull strumming 1 dvd, which gives some more details on how to alternate the base, which is also nice to do. Maybe there are some extra's on this in the second strumming dvd?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 05:02:04 pm »
What he does towards the end is (partially) 16th note picking/strumming. The 16th note strumming as such is covered in the intermediate foundation course and on RUST II, but I'm not sure if these little tricks are on the DVD.

It's a walk-up / walk-down, where he picks an ascending or descending bass line and strums in between. It's pretty neat, but your fretting hand needs to be pretty fast as well, so more of an intermediate thing.

Did you arrive at 16th note strumming yet?

Offline Porpoise

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 01:45:51 pm »
I did not arrive at 16th note strumming officialy...i did experiment with it when playing some songs. I'll just buy the second strumming MP4 and see what it has in store.

Gavriel

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 03:19:52 am »
Hey guys, this is my first post   ;D

I'm having trouble with chord changes while playing this pattern.  For example, when playing DM to GM, I can only get a good sound when leaving my fingers down until the last possible moment. I've actually never gotten  a perfect, sustaining change with this pattern.  Does this make sense?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 07:11:26 am »
With alternate bass struming in it's typical form, you really need to be pretty fast with the chord changes. There are two little cheats (not sure Justin mentioned them):

1) You can do the up-strum on open strings while the rest of your fingers are changing chords. Don't go for all the strings on the up-stroke (sounds horrible), just the higher (sounding) strings.

2) You don't always have to play the up-stroke as well. I started to learn this kind of strumming very early on, but with just the pick on the bass note and the down strum, and added the up-strum later when my chord chamges had become faster.

That said, of course it's a good idea to practice this strumming properly and to try and become fast enough for it. But when it comes to making a song sound good with it, a little cheating might still be okay ;)

Offline tckwilson

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 02:59:21 am »
Do you guys just practice this strumming pattern with the strings muted like the other patterns or do you try to do it with.the chord changes right from.the start?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App