Author Topic: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord  (Read 182772 times)

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
Re: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2019, 10:04:23 pm »
However I stumbled across a video on Rob Chspman’s channel publish 03/Nov/2018, concentrating on posture.

I'm guessing this is the video you refer to? It's perfectly fine to refer to other resources.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DaveySpeedstar

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2019, 12:28:06 am »
Yeah that’s the one. I wasn’t sure as the forum wouldn’t let me post urls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CWatt

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #277 on: April 23, 2019, 11:15:50 pm »
I've just started Stage 6 this week and trying hard to get the F chord under my fingers.  I was quickly able to get all the notes ringing clear using the F barre chord so have decided to stick with that more complex shape/version.  Getting all the notes in the chord to ring clear is one thing...changing to it is obviously quite another.

Today I watched Justin's video again for the 3rd time and it led me to stumble on something that's making it easier to change into the chord and thought I'd pass it along in case it helps anyone.

Toward the beginning of the video at the 01:50 mark he mentions the E chord shape that is naturally part of the F barre chord.  That sparked a thought.  I've been struggling with my pinky like a lot of us since the C7 chord was introduced.  It always feels a bit odd and really seems to have a mind of its own.  So, I thought wait a sec...what if I spent time playing some of the open chords (E, Em, E7, A, Am, A7, and D7) using only my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers.  Would that help me gain some finger dexterity, get control over my pinky, and possibly make the F barre chord easier to change to?  Much to my surprise, it helped me quite a bit with my F barre chord change.  This little exercise has also had the side benefit of helping me with my B7 and C7 changes as well.  In fact, I'd say after just an hour of this exercise I feel more confident with using my pinky in general.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 231
« Reply #278 on: April 23, 2019, 11:57:11 pm »
Welcome to the forun CWatt.
That is a great tip and it will help you with all your barre chords now and
in the future.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2019, 05:46:55 pm »
Hi CWatt. Read some of the earlier posts on this thread from stitch. He’s got some great barre F tips. He got me playing it. And best thing is, once you’ve got it, you can play a load of chords with the shape and it’s variations.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #280 on: August 23, 2019, 11:34:18 am »
I've spent the last month just trying to get a clean sounding F barre chord with no success. Getting the B string to ring cleanly has been an impossible task. I've followed almost every bit of advice on this thread, watched Justin's other videos relating to it, scoured the internet for any other piece of advice to help me crack this nut but with no joy.

Roll the index, move it up, move it down, apply more pressure, elbow tucked in, use your back muscles yada yada yada...

The eureka moment for me, and it has been mentioned more than once in this thread... GET YOUR GUITAR PROFESSIONALLY SET UP!

Playing a clean F barre chord on my electric had never really been a problem but on my acoustic was a different story altogether. I assumed because I hadn't really had any issues at earlier stages playing open chords and getting them to sound nice my guitar was setup correctly. WRONG!

To those struggling, if you haven't had a proper setup done on your guitar visit your local guitar tech. The issue may not be in your technique but a poorly setup guitar. I got my guitar set up for £26 including a new set of strings and now have no more issues easily getting a nice sounding F barre chord.

Now all I need to do is work on my 1 minute changes with it! :D
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline Dziun

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #281 on: October 28, 2019, 04:48:05 pm »
Hi guys, quick question. I noticed my pinky behaving kinda weirdly while doing the f chord. Should i ignore this? If not, then how should i fix this. Thanks!

Offline soho22

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2019, 07:00:38 pm »
hi guys

my problem  is that when i try to do the F chord im doing the big bar one and i can do it but my problme is that the area which touches the B string just hurts too much that i cant hold the chord for long
i hope i can find a solution for that here :D

Offline yaqeem

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #283 on: January 17, 2020, 09:24:35 pm »
Hi guys, quick question. I noticed my pinky behaving kinda weirdly while doing the f chord. Should i ignore this? If not, then how should i fix this. Thanks!

Hi Dziun,

IMO  your pinky is bent a bit too heavily under you ring finger.
I'd play with hand positioning so your pinky would get a bit straighter.
Check out how Justin was doing it in the lesson:

FYI not an expert here, just finishing beginner course and I got my F chord to acceptable levels about 2-3 months ago :)

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #284 on: January 18, 2020, 12:36:46 am »
I think that your 1 and 2 fingers are a bit too close to the frets so you’re having to squeeze your pinkie in, try moving them back slightly.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #285 on: February 02, 2020, 07:01:11 pm »
Well I’m quite amazed, I tried playing this dreaded chord yesterday and today I can play it. Now by play it I mean I can get all the strings to ring out on most occasions. I’m not sure my second finger is in the greatest position but now time to practice and improve. I’ve quite surprised myself.
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline geoff.archer54

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #286 on: May 07, 2020, 07:25:07 am »

Well I’m quite amazed, I tried playing this dreaded chord yesterday and today I can play it. Now by play it I mean I can get all the strings to ring out on most occasions.

I had more or less the exact same experience! I have no way to prove it but I strongly suspect that spending a lot of time on the previous lessons, coupled with serious time on Justin's finger gym, built up the finger (and thumb!) strength needed. For anybody struggling, I would recommend making sure your thumb position is solid, especially when playing your open chords. If it's not then you likely won't have built up the thumb muscle sufficiently and the F barre will be that further fron your grasp.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline spartanhooah

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #287 on: July 13, 2020, 02:36:43 am »
I'm having a hard time with the intonation on this chord. I find that the A is just all over the place. Any pointers on how to get it to sound more in-tune?

Offline NewmanEXP

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #288 on: July 24, 2020, 12:22:08 pm »
I was struggling with the F chord for a while, could get it to ring out maybe once or twice during the course of the practice minutes. Problem for me was the little finger muting the G and struggling to not mute the B. I'd been thinking that the action on my guitar was a little too high but didn't think it was a huge issue. Took it to a luthier in the end and he said the action was "ridiculously high". He altered it and now I don't struggle at all with the F chord and am able to move up and down the neck with other barre chords a bit. Game changer!

Offline brandolee

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #289 on: October 26, 2020, 02:29:24 pm »
I can play the F chord with ~50 changes per minutes between Am, G, C, D.  But when I encounter it in a song, I can't get to it.  I guess I need to slow the BPM.  Which fingers do you place first on this chord? 

Justin mentioned putting first finger down loosely and then the others and then adjusting.  I put the 2,3,4 fingers down first and then the barre.  My 3rd and 4th fingers can't get close enough to the fret if I put the 1st finger down first.  Right now, its basically a 2 step process: Lay down fingers 2,3,4 and then the barre.
I'm working on getting it so the change is one fluid motion so that there is really nothing happening first. 
Breedlove Discovery Concert in Mahogany

Offline useDraW

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #290 on: October 27, 2020, 11:31:12 pm »
practicing in tempo with techniques you aren't quite ready to confidently execute can lead to frustration, if you freetime them on a daily basis you will get it within a year guaranteed.
21 yo noisemaker/musician, been playing guitar for 12'ish years... "when you get to a point where you think "wow, i suck at this.. but i don't care" that's when you really improve." -useDraW-

Get The Forum As A Mobile App