Author Topic: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord  (Read 139537 times)

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord
« Reply #255 on: June 02, 2018, 03:31:53 pm »
At rockstarr.

It is a matter of practice. I was at the same position like you and everybody else I guess in this community. You will get better if you practice the F chord as often you can.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Ibanez AW300ECE-NT
Started  IM February 22, 2016
Finished BC January 25, 2016
https://soundcloud.com/user-601635174

Offline rockstarr

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #256 on: June 02, 2018, 07:28:25 pm »
@Rolandson

Thank you. Yes I intend to do just that

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline sairfingers

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2018, 12:25:05 am »
Really struggling with big f. Can do it but not fast enough. Just more practice? Or any tips. Please don’t say use mini f as I already do that changing to/from c.
Mature beginner. Started BC March 2018
Martin D28 Reimagined

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2018, 01:27:20 am »
Practice it at the 5th fret. That's an A barre chord, it's easier because the frets
are closer together. When you get that down move down two frets (that's a G)
Then mkve to the F barre chord. These are all E shaped barre chords.

Offline sairfingers

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2018, 09:19:49 am »
Thanks for that stitch. I’ve read through a lot of the advice on this thread. Glad I’m not the only one with the problem! Will keep at it and not avoid songs with an F which is a temptation. What I like about your suggestion stitch is that I’ll end up able to play barre A and G as well as barre F! (and all the other barre E shapes).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:48:35 am by sairfingers »
Martin D28 Reimagined

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2018, 01:25:51 pm »
Also, make sure your guitar is proper setup. Too much distance from fret board to strings is a killer especially regarding the barre F.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2018, 08:00:42 am »
Also, make sure your guitar is proper setup. Too much distance from fret board to strings is a killer especially regarding the barre F.

This especially true if you are learning on an acoustic. I struggled for about 6 months trying to get the E shape barre and that dreaded F to sound clean. Was ok on my electric but sucked big style on my acoustic. Took that for a pro set up and lowered action and bingo, no more problems.

Proper set up is the most important thing over looked when starting out. And don't think because you bought a new piece of kit that the set up is correct. My biggest advice to anyone starting the BC is get a set up done asap. Find a local (or in my case not so local) guitar tech/shop and have a proper set up done. Makes life so much easier on acoustics and will safe a lot of heart ache and frustration.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
My Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline sairfingers

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2018, 09:57:48 pm »
But surely when you buy an expensive guitar - and I did - it should be perfect?  Ok you’ve given me food for thought. The shop said I could go back once it had ‘settled in’. At fret 12 I’ve got a 6mm gap between bottom of low E string and top of fret and from what I’ve read in should be 3mm ish? Am I right or just looking for excuses?
Martin D28 Reimagined

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2018, 11:21:29 pm »
But surely when you buy an expensive guitar - and I did - it should be perfect?
Perfect for who? Guitars do come with a factory set up, wheather that is perfect for
you only you can answer that. What guitar do you have?
Martin guitar come with very high action for Blue Grass players (it's easier to lower
than raise) Taylor guitars come with what most people who say i fairly good to low.
Gibson guitar come great for my liking right out of the box but change as the guitar
loosens up from being played in a few weeks to months.
After a guitar leave the factory it go though a lot of changes in climate, humidity and
who know how many bumps along it's journey to the shop you bought it from.

6 mm does sound a tad high but that's not the end of the guitar that is giving you trouble.
If your having trouble with the F chord it's the nut that may or may not be to high.
The shop you bought it from should give you a free set up. The one I deal with gives you
up to a year to bring a new guitar back for a free set up.

Offline sairfingers

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #264 on: September 27, 2018, 02:59:25 pm »
It’s a Martin D28 which I’ve only had for 6 weeks. Prior to that I had a Sigma on loan from a relative. I wasn’t doing barre chords then so I can’t really compare the action of the two guitars. Anyway thanks for your input and thoughts guys - I appreciate it. Practice, practice, practice. As I said before, I can make the chord, just not fast enough yet.
Martin D28 Reimagined

Offline sairfingers

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #265 on: October 01, 2018, 12:26:18 pm »
Hi Guys. I’m getting there - stitch’s advice is great - do frets 5 & 3 then 1. The realisation that once you’ve cracked this shape you can play at least 12 new chords is motivation enough to stick at it!
Martin D28 Reimagined

Offline sairfingers

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2018, 05:31:19 pm »
Hi Guys. Just for the record and for the future information of others who will read this thread with the same barre F problem - I’ve got it. I can change to and from barre F at the same speed as my open chords (G C E A etc.). 5 minutes practice every day for 3 weeks using Justin’s one minute changes system. Also thanks to ‘stitch101’ I can play barre G and barre A just as fast. Yeah. Thanks guys. 👍👍
Martin D28 Reimagined

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #267 on: October 18, 2018, 06:53:07 pm »
Congratulations but I hate to inform you that you can't just play the BarreF G and A
You can play all 12 of the E shape major barre chords.
Starting with the 1st fret F the 2nd fret F# the 3rd fret G. I'll let you figure out the rest
of the chord names as you move up the neck. You already know A, what's between
G and A? What comes after A?  Keep going fret by fret up to the 12th fret that one is E
same as the open E but 12 frets or one octave higher.

Offline sairfingers

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #268 on: October 18, 2018, 11:03:31 pm »
Hi stitch. You’re right of course, but when you go up beyond fret 9 I think the guitar starts to sound a bit like a ukulele!
Martin D28 Reimagined

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2018, 12:03:57 am »
That's where the A shaped barre chords come in handy but that's a whole
new set of lessons.  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App