Author Topic: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord  (Read 75186 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
    • justinguitar.com
BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:09:55 pm »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:40:18 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
Re: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:29:47 pm »
Most of the question that are asked in this thread are answered in the fuller lesson Justin gives on E-shaped barre chords here : http://justinguitar.com/en/IM-111-EShapeMajorMinorBarreChords.php. He recommends it during the 'Dreaded F Chord' lesson, and it's well worth visiting for the beginner.

Offline Rolandson

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:01:15 am »
10 month and I still have pauses in a song when I change to the F chord. I can change to to F chord over 60 times but it's still slow for songs. Good thing is that I can change it without looking on my hand but still it's not good enough. Any advice besides the one minute changes?
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT
Started BC November 13, 2013

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:06:20 am »
Slow down the tempo for the song, then build up. But the F chord takes time, takes time, takes time ...

Offline Rolandson

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:41:13 am »
those are my one minute changes.
F sounds better.
What do you thing?

Ibanez AW300ECE-NT

Offline Rolandson

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 09:03:07 am »
Ok. I did my one miute changes every day for 2 weeks or more. played everyday the F chord. I thought yesterday I will never canplay that F chord good.

Today I played people live here by Rise gainst and hurt by Johnny cash.
I don't know what happened but I can play the F chord pretty good without looking.

Did anybody of you had the same expirience?
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT

Offline Rossco01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:13:16 am »
Good on you Rolandson. I have had this experience on previous chords most notably C which I found a bit tricky...the muscle memory just wouldn't stick for ages. There does seem to come that point where it just clicks and from then on things get a lot easier. Throughout the course I've found the 1 min changes will only take me a certain distance to learning a chord and then I need to incorporate into a song that uses it a lot so I can also "switch off" from thinking about making the switch and the hand try to do it on its own.

I have to admit though that the F chord (and I'm not even trying to do a full barre just the mini) is still proving difficult for me. I think part of my problem is that although I'm up around the 60 changes min (although not consistently with quality) my other chords are so far ahead in fluency that when I incorporate it into a song I'm still searching for it and its a lot slower to move to.

Still everyone says its hard and I know based on other chords that I'll get there and then I'll wondered why I found it so hard.
BC mid-Nov 2013 - complete Nov 2014
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline Rolandson

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:34:48 am »
The F chord on the second fret with a capo sounds clear. The F on the first fret not so much. It sounds good a few times but not all the time especially the B and E chord.
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT

Offline H M Murdock

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 02:35:25 am »
I like this lesson even though it's the hardest I've done so far. I'm struggling with the F but I also had the same thing with changing to a G quickly and managed to crack that one in the end through sheer practice and stubborn refusal to be beaten by it so it looks like gritting the teeth and getting on with it for me.

Some of the things in the text on the lesson that have definitely helped me:-

Low action - I have 3 guitars, one of which had the action really lowered by the local shop (for £10) and it really helps in all chord changes, especially this one. I'm still very slow with the F but on the other 2 guitars far slower still.

Try it higher up the fretboard - This worked for me really well in the beginning and I found it much easier to get the pressure down on the barre. I still have some way to go in finger strength for the F but trying higher up at first seems to warm the muscles up before practicing at fret one. Works for me.

Sound before speed - I know it's been said over and over but it's so true with this one. I spent a lot of time just making sure all the strings rang out clearly each time no matter how slow I was. The speed will come with time, probably with one of those Eureka moments like the G chord did.
Everything louder than everything else

https://www.facebook.com/matt.m.gilbert

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 04:08:11 am »
H M Murdock,

That's all good advice and exactly what I would recommend. Eliminate any setup problems; start with barres up at the 5th-7th fret area; and take your time, understanding that it's going to be a while before the F chord feels natural.

This is probably the most frustrating lesson for people working through the BC. It takes a combination of finger strength and dexterity, and it's going to take a while before most people are able to play the full F cleanly.

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 06:37:48 am »
Just to say that once you get there, it's really worth all the investment. I've fallen in love with barre chords.

Offline H M Murdock

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 10:21:56 pm »
Thanks for the positive feedback  ;D

Being temporarily between jobs with plenty of spare time I decided to have a "bite the bullet day" and got up this morning with the determination to crack the F chord. All day I've done 15mins each hour to practice the F chord (plenty of decent breaks between) from 10am this morning through til 6pm tonight. Simple plan really, do 15mins then walk away for 45mins at least. By 6pm I was getting the F chord first time every time but it's been tough, I won't deny that, and in my own case it took a lot of effort.

Some may question why push myself so hard? For me it's a tough one to learn and I have no idea whether I could be working again at the drop of a hat (you know agency work can be like) so whilst I had the time and opportunity to put the hard work in I went for it. For all I know I could get a phone call tomorrow and be on long shifts that may limit my practice time so may as well get this one under my belt whilst time is on my side.

I'm a very happy boy with the progress tonight. Sure, I still can't form an F chord with any speed but I'll work on that in each practice session for a few minutes and it'll come. It's right what everyone says, hang in there and it'll happen  ;D
Everything louder than everything else

https://www.facebook.com/matt.m.gilbert

Offline sswissam

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 09:18:09 pm »
Hey guys, i found it more  comfortable to raise my first finger a bit so im pushing the first 2 strings with my first knuckle which results in my first finger sticking up a bit but the chord sounds clear that way.This seems a little easier for me though it still took about 2-3 weeks to get it right.
My question is am it doing it wrong? Is this a bad habit that will make problems for me later?
Would appreciate the help.

Offline FPS

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 09:33:26 pm »
That's the way I get all the strings ring clearly as welll. Don't think it's a bad habit. It's rather taking into account inidvidual anatomics.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:11:18 pm by FPS »

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 30
  • Playing for 19 years - Learning for three!!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 10:46:25 pm »
Guys might be worth your while taking a quick peak at the Intermediate Course and this longer lesson
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-111-EShapeMajorMinorBarreChords.php
I adopted the raised first finger to get things ringing clearer but dropped the position considerably after watching this more in depth lesson on the barre  8)
You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die.....Jethro Tull

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/