Author Topic: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord  (Read 163243 times)

Offline Damien

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2017, 12:48:30 am »
10 month and I still have pauses in a song when I change to the F chord. I can change to to F chord over 60 times but it's still slow for songs. Good thing is that I can change it without looking on my hand but still it's not good enough. Any advice besides the one minute changes?
Hi there, there IS an end to the frustration! And it sounds like you are on the right pat . The answer is of course more practice! Spend extra time switching from various chords to F don't be concerned about the key or whether it "fits" soundwise. You just need to switch to it during your dedicated practice time. Over time your wrist and hand muscles will adjust and it will become as normal as a Am. muscle memory is a phenomenal thing, but it does require some dedication and practice time. But before you know it, you'll be catching it every time. All the best

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Henry Krinkle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2017, 01:09:08 am »
Been working on the F for a few weeks now and am relatively pleased with my progress.  1 minute changes in the 50 range (haven't tried them all yet, just the first recommended ones) and plan to spend another week or so and then move on.

But that's not why I'm posting. Practicing the changes, I discovered one thing that helped with all the changes: when switching to F, first focus on the placement of the middle finger.  Once set, forming the chord around that finger gets much easier, at least for me.

This may or may not help but figured I'd pass it along.

Sent from my SM-T580 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Henry Krinkle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2017, 01:12:24 am »
Also, is there a nice form for 1 minute changes with the F like the one for all the other chords?  I didn't see one in the course materials (online or on the CDs with the book.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2017, 09:01:47 am »
Also, is there a nice form for 1 minute changes with the F like the one for all the other chords?  I didn't see one in the course materials (online or on the CDs with the book.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-169-PRACTICEstage6.php

Also Stage 6 of the Beginner's Songbooks . Scroll down.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-000-BeginnersSongbook.php
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Henry Krinkle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2017, 06:41:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply but I'm still not seeing it.  I'm looking for a grid-form like the one on page 98 or=f the coursebook.  It covered all combinations of learned chords up to, but not including, the F chord.  I liked that I could keep track of which chord changes no longer needed focused practice.  Not sure if the form exists beyond that lesson.  I could make one myself but figured I'd make sure I'm not just overlooking something.  Thanks again.

Offline PeterU

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2017, 06:58:51 pm »
Henry. I'm learning f chord too and have been thinking about what to so. I must admit I think you're probably wasting effort by focussing on changes that aren't used much if at all. I'm just concentrating on f changes (full barre) to am g c dm and em - the latter only because it's in the drugs dont work. Ive been told these will cover 80% of what we need at this stage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar.com Forum mobile app

Offline Henry Krinkle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2017, 07:15:19 pm »
Henry. I'm learning f chord too and have been thinking about what to so. I must admit I think you're probably wasting effort by focussing on changes that aren't used much if at all. I'm just concentrating on f changes (full barre) to am g c dm and em - the latter only because it's in the drugs dont work. Ive been told these will cover 80% of what we need at this stage.

I hadn't really thought of it that way but suspect that you're right. My instinct was to be a completionist but it's really not necessary.  That will make things much easier.  Thanks!

Offline PeterU

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »
I've found with earlier changes that I've forgotten them by the time I need them. G to B7 for example and now G to Dm so I'm being more pragmatic now. Glad it helped.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2017, 07:24:23 am »
F to Am is also an important change to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline ferret

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2017, 08:21:35 pm »
I got frustrated with a F barre changes to any other chord, especially during real playing, i.e. complicated strumming, not just simple down strums etc. Got me really frustrated, could not keep up. Then I started practicing following progression, Am F C F G F D F E F and so on, F every second chord. With a metronome, started at 60 bpm 4/4, two strums per bar. Day after day, week after week, slowly increasing speed. Took weeks and months but now I can quite comfortably play F full barre, with reasonable accuracy, my fingers land in the right places most of the time. Just need practicing, it'll come.

Offline PeterU

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:26 pm »
Could I have some tips on when to move on to stage 7 please.

Been at stage 6 for 2 months. Practice an hour a day 5 days a week. Mainly practice F Barre to G then Am and C. Got F to C nailed. Am at about 50 changes pet min. G to 40 but struggling to get G and Am accurate. Not fussed about others at this stage.

Also been doing one bar on F then one bar on Am etc now up to 120 bpm havinf started at 60 bpm. Play 3 strums per bar leaving 1 strum to change having got up to 4 at 100 bpm.

Have tried F Barre in some songs but having to slow down to change still.

Feel I need to keep moving forwards and fingers strong enough to put pressure down for power chords so not a strength issue.

What should I do? Any tips from those who've been here before me and moved on?

Want to play quickly but accurately so happy to go slow until it sticks.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline BCDC

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #221 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »
I think you should move onto the next stage and continue to practice your F-chord. If you read this thread from start to finish, one thing is clear -- it will take much longer to get your F-chord changes down pat compared to other chords. It is time for new material.

I moved onto the next stage when I got my 1-minute F-chord changes >55. I simply carried my F-Chord practice schedule over to the next stage.

Offline PeterU

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2017, 09:43:20 pm »
Thanks for your advice BCD C. Makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2017, 01:18:14 pm »
After initial attempts I backed off of trying to form a full F barre chord.
I focused on practicing E shaped chords where my hand felt most comfortable, which was the A chord at the 5th fret. After I felt confident there (although far from perfect) I gradually worked my way down to the full F chord, where I am now much more comfortable. This took months of practicing to get where I am.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2017, 03:02:07 pm »
Peter

This 20 minute lesson from the IM will help but it does take time to master. I'd move on but keep practicing even if its for a few minutes each session. Took me several months.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-111-EShapeMajorMinorBarreChords.php

The advice for starting higher up the neck towards the bridge is good but avoid going higher than the 8th fret as things start to get cramped. B at the 7th is a good starting point. Get that sounding good then drop one fret back up to the nut, wash rinse repeat.

One thing I'd add (as your weapon of choice wasn't mentioned) if you are playing acoustic, make sure you have a proper set up and action adjusted. This is what cracked it for me.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App