Author Topic: BC-156 • Rhythm Guitar Basics  (Read 30822 times)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
Re: BC-156 • Rhythm Guitar Basics
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2017, 07:16:16 am »
Everyone always tells you you have to learn it righthanded so I wanted to give it a try. Making chords with my left hand is easy, but I keep struggling with the rhythym. So I tried the rhythym on muted strings in both ways and strumming with my left hand is definitely a lot easier and smoother right from the start. So I made my decision and bought myself a lefthanded guitar. Now I just have to start over again in stage 1

Everyone? I'll be they were all right handers. Learning guitar was the only time I encountered bias from people telling me how I should do something. Such people are ignorant and rude. Would they tell you not to write or throw with your left, because it's wrong?

Just because the majority of players a RH doesn't mean we all should be. Another argument is that both hands are needed for guitar so it shouldn't make a difference. It does, both hands perform quite different skills and movements. RH players simply don't recognise this, they are in a majority, so clearly many think they're right.

Offline michaelholmes

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2017, 09:22:15 pm »
Hello,

I have a question about guitar lesson BC-156.

When you practice strumming with this shuffle-style of strumming, and you
use a metronome.

Do you need to put it on 3 beats per bar so you can count the 1-trip-let, or am I
going in the wrong direction now.

Sorry for my simple english but I'm dutch.

Thanks.

Offline jono

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2017, 09:51:10 pm »
Four beats per bar,  one count of trip-let per beat, four counts of trip-let per bar.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline michaelholmes

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2017, 11:02:45 am »
OK got it now thank you.
It's a nice rythm to practice some 7 chords.
Any tips for putting metronome.
Seems like it's more difficult on low bpm.
CY

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2017, 11:16:46 am »
You might find that a drum beat would be easier to work with on a triplet blues setting, a bit like this:
https://youtu.be/gLbpnCff-94
With the metronome you have to remember that it's 3 picks per beat so slow isn't really slow in picking terms.
You could try setting at 3x the actual tempo and picking every beat but that isn't really good practice.
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2017, 11:31:23 am »
There are also plenty of backing tracks on YouTube for later on when you get further down the line - it can be a lot of fun!!!
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2017, 02:30:13 pm »
What helped me to get it was playing along with Justin in the video lesson.  First during the demonstration and later when he plays through the 12 bar blues sequence.

Offline michaelholmes

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2017, 03:55:12 pm »
Good point, maybe that's the way for me.
Because i'm just a few weeks in.
Thanks.
I find that counting is rather difficult, espacialy when the tempo goes up.
Do the more experienced players usualy count,
 or are they playing on feeling-experiance only.
Greetings

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2017, 08:54:59 pm »
Hi, when did you guys start practicing with different strumming patterns? I just started on stage 3 and am learning songs from stage one and two. However, I practice the song with all down strumms so the only hard thing now is to be fast enough to change between the chords. In most songs,justin also explains different strumming paterns. Is it ok to try those as well or should I just stick to all down strums for now? I tried the strumming pattern of 5 years time, that was not really easy but after 15 mins a somewhat recognisible rhythym apearred.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2017, 09:18:19 pm »

Hi, when did you guys start practicing with different strumming patterns? I just started on stage 3 and am learning songs from stage one and two. However, I practice the song with all down strumms so the only hard thing now is to be fast enough to change between the chords. In most songs,justin also explains different strumming paterns. Is it ok to try those as well or should I just stick to all down strums for now? I tried the strumming pattern of 5 years time, that was not really easy but after 15 mins a somewhat recognisible rhythym apearred.

I started on DDUUDU when I was on stage 3 (I play that per bar). I've pretty much stuck with that throughout the beginners course and 6 months in I found I could sing along with that pattern. I've tried other patterns but I can't sing and play at the same time. I should really persist with a different pattern for 6 months and hopefully I'll be able to sing and play at the same time. There are other songs that I can play and sing that I've just done what I felt and managed to sing at the same time, if someone asked me what the strumming pattern is I couldn't tell them, I don't even know myself lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2017, 04:51:21 pm »
I dont know if sticking to one rhythym is what I will be doing. I like to play some songs that people will recognise. Maybe I should stick to a simpler one than the one in 5 years time. Its muteUDU change chord muteUDU. I get confused when trying to count and tap with my foot and keep in rhythym with my metronome

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2017, 02:58:37 am »

I started on DDUUDU when I was on stage 3 (I play that per bar). I've pretty much stuck with that throughout the beginners course and 6 months in I found I could sing along with that pattern. I've tried other patterns but I can't sing and play at the same time. I should really persist with a different pattern for 6 months and hopefully I'll be able to sing and play at the same time.

This is the wrong approach to learning strumming. One pattern cannot be applied to all songs. The common DDuuD is one that does works a lot, but not all the time, and it gets painfully dull. It's important to apply a suitable pattern and rhythm if you are trying to sing and play. The wrong pattern or rhythm will make this counterproductive.

Also, you should be able to play the song first. You can't leant to sing and play a song at the same time. That mean learning the correct strumming and rhythm.

Ultimately strum patterns are not things you memorise - you get to know them from knowing the song and it's rhythm.
Justin strumming teaching is to help you develop your ears and hands to get to this stage, it is not meant to be a crutch, learning rote patterns forever.

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2017, 06:20:12 am »
This is the wrong approach to learning strumming. One pattern cannot be applied to all songs. The common DDuuD is one that does works a lot, but not all the time

That was taken out of context. I did say on some songs that I've just done what I felt. I can also play and sing on the songs that I've done what I felt, straight away without memorising the song first. It just happens that most of the songs I've played, DDUUD works and I can sing and play at the same time again, straight away. When I first used DDUUD I couldn't play and sing at the same time, it took six months until I learned to do that. Now I can do it with every song using that pattern, DDDD pattern or a pattern that I've just done what I felt. I've tried looking at other patterns and I can't do it, so my theory is if you get the strumming pattern in your head so you're not thinking about it, then you'll be able to sing and play. From my experience they go hand in hand.

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:25:00 am by mikeb2102 »

Offline bluecheese

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2017, 03:49:45 pm »
A quick question regarding when to  change chords when using the blues shuffle rhythm.  I assume I change chords on the '4 let' upstroke  going into the next bar ie the '1' downstroke?

Does this question make sense?

Offline skinnyT

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2017, 06:27:53 pm »
Question makes sense. I think thats the theory but in practice is difficult. I have the Beginners Songbook 1 (2nd Ed) and it covers this on page 99 Folsom Prison Blues. Justin says "most times (but not ALL the time) players start changing the chord early and the last strum in the bar ends up as open strings". So this is my take on it, do your down strum on 4 take your fingers off the strings, do the upstrum on the open strings then fingers down for the new chord and do the downstrum on 1.

I am a beginner too and find it impossible to time everything right at present so it all sounds pretty bad, more practice I guess...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App