Author Topic: Seymour Duncan P-Rails  (Read 3460 times)

schect

Seymour Duncan P-Rails
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:11:44 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with these pickups? I'm planning my next build and was thinking of doing a custom Jazzmaster using the P-Rails for both the P90 and single coil sound.

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
    • http://www.highlanedtc.co.uk
Re: Seymour Duncan P-Rails
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:12:35 pm »
I am having P Rails in the bridge position of my custom build. My luthier doesn't really rate the single coil and reckons the P rail is a good P90 and a good humbucker but the single coils are "weedy"

Agordon has done a build of his own with P rails so hopefully he will be along to help you
Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

Offline agordon

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:26:50 pm »
Yep, I have one in my custom warmoth strat.  I really like it.  I didnt install the option to split it to the rail only.  I can play it full P-rail humbucker or split to P90.  Its really nice as a bridge pickup.  Ive never heard the rail split by itself.  I really like it for that classic rock sound like ACDC rythm.

I would agree with Jack's luthier's assesment.

Any specific questions?
Guitars: Taylor 314CE, Guild D50 Dreadnought, Alvarez RD8, Gibson LP Std. Trad. Pro, Warmoth Custom Strat, MIA Strat, MIM Tele, PRS SE Singlecut
Amps: Blackstar HT-5S, Peavey Classic VT 2X12, Kustom KMA35DFX
Effects: Line6 JM4, Vox Tonelab ST

schect

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:03:01 pm »
Thanks guys. I found a vid on utube today and it seems like the rails played together (both bridge and neck) sound like position 2 or 4 on a standard strat. The P90 sound is awesome, especially the neck alone. Here's what I'm thinking:

Jazzmaster body - Dakota Red, Charcoal pearl pickguard
Warmoth maple 24.75" scale conversion neck, rosewood board, compound radius, roller nut, vintage frets
Two P Rails wired to two push/pull pots and a 3-way switch (gets all combos)
Fixed Vintage flat mount Strat bridge
Undecided on tuners

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
    • http://www.highlanedtc.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:03:34 pm »
From my luthier

When Seymour Duncan designed these fine pickups they had in mind the upgrade market to replace the pair of humbuckers on an existing guitar. Their descriptions do not cover what is possible when you combine them with other pickup types on an original guitar.  When I first evaluated them I put a bridge P-Rails and a neck P-Rails on my test guitar with switching to try every possible coil configuration, and my assessment was thus:

Bridge P90 coil - excellent, just like a vintage P90
Bridge blade coil - thin, brittle, more weedy than a strat bridge
Humbucker - excellent, half way between a vintage humbucker and a P90
Both coils in parallel - a bit like strat in-between position 2 but not so good

Neck P90 coil - very good
Neck blade coil - thin, brittle, more weedy than a strat neck
Humbucker - OK, but rather wooly and unclear
Both coils in parallel - a bit like strat in-between position 4 but not so good

My conclusions are for an original do-everything axe:

The neck P-Rails is not a good choice. It is only very good at being a P90. It is not a great humbucker, and it is not a great strat.
Mellow P90 sounds can be got mixing the neck humbucker with the bridge P90 coil.

The blade coil is not worth using by itself. The middle strat would always be better.
The P-Rails both coils in parallel is not worth using. Using normal mode with the 5way in position 2 or 4 will always be better.

Basically great as bridge pick up with a humbucker in the neck  - or a single coil in middle and humbucker in neck

Bear in mind this is one persons opinion
Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

Offline agordon

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:09:53 pm »
Shect: I think I watched that same video with the 2 P-rails installed opposite each other.  It was cool.  Sounds like a cool project with a really flexible jazzmaster.  Interesting.  Color and pickguard sounds cool.

What about 4 knobs (2 being push pull) so you can fully mix the volume and tone in each pickup configuration?

I cant say much about the P-rail in the neck, but the bridge is for sure a good choice.  You could also do a mini-humbucker in the neck.  The P-rail in the neck would give you lots of options though.  Id be torn.

What about a tune-o-matic with stop tail bridge to match the shorter neck scale??  Or something like the tele through body with tune-o-matic??  I like the sustain out of those two better than the strat bridge.  Just my opinion though.
Guitars: Taylor 314CE, Guild D50 Dreadnought, Alvarez RD8, Gibson LP Std. Trad. Pro, Warmoth Custom Strat, MIA Strat, MIM Tele, PRS SE Singlecut
Amps: Blackstar HT-5S, Peavey Classic VT 2X12, Kustom KMA35DFX
Effects: Line6 JM4, Vox Tonelab ST

schect

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 08:45:08 pm »
ag,
Yea, I should look at a TOM bridge. I'm just used to string through the body arrangements. I'm still really up in the air on this project mostly because I have mostly humbucker guitars and I'm not sure whether the P Rails would fill the single coil void.

My second design is a Jazz body with 3 single coils ala Strat. Or I could just replicate a 62 Jaguar. Too many choices  ???

Get The Forum As A Mobile App