Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 122447 times)

Offline gertvr

• Good Vibes 0
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2020, 11:18:18 am »
With online courses such as these you are your own manager, so it can become difficult to assess when one is ready to move on from one lesson, or one module or stage, to the next. Am I too hard on myself, or the opposite? So I think this question has been asked and answered a lot of times but I still want to see if anyone has som thoughts to spare?

I started out 3,5 months ago and I am now at Stage 2 (lesson 8 ). I can play along, sort of ok, with the songs in the Justin app that are suited for any given lesson. I also search online for songs that sound easy enough and use chords I know how to play. Some of them Justin has a video on, others not.

This way I ended up compiling a catalogue of about 20 songs. About 5 of the songs in this list, I pretty much master, i.e I can play along with the song playing on the stereo without too much trouble. The other ones have chord changes I really struggle with, e.g to and from C major I find very hard, or were just too ambitious. E.g. Man on the moon, by REM was the first song I dug up this way, and still can't do the chord change from C to D to C (which pretty much is all it is in the verse).

I am constantly eager to move on in the course, but on the other hand, for some stuff I keep hitting a brick wall, like some of the chord changes. I also find singing along with the songs impossible, even for a 2-chord song with basic strumming.

So what I'm really wondering about is how "perfect" (I know, this is a big word) you need to be able to play songs and techniques shown in the lessons to move on? Can I rely on things falling into place, or will I end up learning a bit of this, a bit of that, but nothing really well? I'm afraid when barre chords appear on the horison, the same worry will pop up.

Cheers;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 12:51:15 pm by gertvr »
Fender Tim Amstrong Hellcat, Fender Player Stratocaster HSS, Boss Katana 50.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2020, 01:20:10 pm »
There are indeed lots and lots of replies to this very question and it is also more challenging to answer because there are now three approaches to learning with Justin. There is the app, the Classic beginner course on the website and the New Beginners course on the website. If you have not checked out the website course I'd urge you to do so. They include more material and might help answer this question.

In addition on the website hopefully you'll have already discovered that you can find songs suitable to your level.

I don't really remember Justin talking about "mastering" songs in these early stages of learning or even later. You need to be able to play the songs appropriate to your level to an acceptable standard. So in early stages this probably just means using down strums (4 to the bar) and being able to move reasonably okay beween chords. Good enough so that in your head you can tell what you're playing (others might not be able to because the songs are probably simple). As you progress through the course you'll learn new techniques and become more fluent. Songs will start to sound better. Then you'll find you can more easily play those earlier songs BUT the songs for your current level are still tricky.

Singing and playing is a technique in it's own right. For some it comes naturally for other they need to work on it. It's hard to sing if you're having to concentrate hard on playing the chords and moving between them. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.

My mantra always used to be that if I was learning a particular stage of the course then the songs I'm playing are probably a stage or two behind.

Above all you don't need to MASTER the songs before moving to the next stage BUT you do need to be honest with yourself whether you've learnt the techniques/lessons for that stage and can start to put them into practice. They might not be fluent but that will only comes with weeks/months of practice in some instances.

When you get to the end of the course (and the App I think only covers part of the Classic or New Beginners course on the web) you will need to consolidate. If you look at the classic course in particular at the end of each stage it tells you what you should be able to do before moving on to the next.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #277 on: June 04, 2020, 02:43:52 pm »
Good vibes to you, Jason, much sound guidance in your post.  Especially like:

"You need to be able to play the songs appropriate to your level to an acceptable standard."

And sharing in the AVOYP area is an excellent way to calibrate that, as many times I think people are their harshest critics.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #278 on: June 04, 2020, 03:00:14 pm »
I think Rossco’s reply to this often asked question (and many related ones) should be made mandatory reading for all JG beginners! It sums the whole thing up perfectly. Well done!
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline gertvr

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #279 on: June 05, 2020, 01:15:16 pm »
I absolutely agree with sairfingers, in so far it is within my scope to judge this. All the same, a very uplifting answer to my question!!! Tx Rossco!

Gert.
Fender Tim Amstrong Hellcat, Fender Player Stratocaster HSS, Boss Katana 50.

Offline Warren

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2020, 10:13:53 am »
Hi there,, quick intro as i'm a newbie, i'm 45 years old, never ever played a guitar until 5 weeks ago, i brought myself a cheap amazon electric guitar, and started to follow and use justins guitar on app and on desktop. i allow 2h per day to learn, however sometimes  it's more like 3  maybe 4 hours per day. I have a question,, after 5 weeks of learning i am now up to Stage 6 of the beginners course, i can paly all chords up to this stage, and can fairly easily play all chords without looking at the fret board, all chords sound good and in tune.. most of the songs i can play along to as well. Can i ask,, is this good progress after 5 weeks,, or am i behind schedule...
 Can i also add, i'm absolutely hooked to playing the electric guitar that i just brought myself a Epiphone Les Paul Standard.  :D :D

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2020, 02:11:49 pm »
Hi there,, quick intro as i'm a newbie, i'm 45 years old, never ever played a guitar until 5 weeks ago, i brought myself a cheap amazon electric guitar, and started to follow and use justins guitar on app and on desktop. i allow 2h per day to learn, however sometimes  it's more like 3  maybe 4 hours per day. I have a question,, after 5 weeks of learning i am now up to Stage 6 of the beginners course, i can paly all chords up to this stage, and can fairly easily play all chords without looking at the fret board, all chords sound good and in tune.. most of the songs i can play along to as well. Can i ask,, is this good progress after 5 weeks,, or am i behind schedule...
 Can i also add, i'm absolutely hooked to playing the electric guitar that i just brought myself a Epiphone Les Paul Standard.  :D :D

Warren, my 2cs worth ...

My approach is to have no schedule.  As long as I keep improving I am happy.  And everybody learns at their own pace.

I'd also say that learning and progress is very much a "proof of the pudding is in the eating" thing. So best way to get a feedback on your progress is to record yourself playing through some songs and post those recordings in the AVOYP area of the site.

You can just play, play and sing, or play along with the app or originals; and you can choose to make a video (which is helpful to get feedback) or record just an audio; and it doesn't have to be super HiFi quality.

The feedback will confirm that you are laying a good foundation or maybe rushing a little, which may lead to problems in the future.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2020, 11:45:35 pm »
My approach is to have no schedule.  As long as I keep improving I am happy.  And everybody learns at their own pace.
So best way to get a feedback on your progress is to record yourself playing through some songs and post those recordings in the AVOYP area of the site.
I agree totally with David. I waited far too long before I posted on AVoYP. The feedback is always encouraging, positive and definitely builds your confidence. Go for it!

Imo 2,3,4 hours a day is a lot. Be careful you don’t end up putting yourself off.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #283 on: August 15, 2020, 12:29:37 am »
Imo 2,3,4 hours a day is a lot. Be careful you don’t end up putting yourself off.
Lucky to get that in a week at the moment :-)

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2020, 02:18:23 am »
Lucky to get that in a week at the moment :-)
I have to admit I play at least 4 hours, sometimes that's before 10am, when I'm fit to play. Which can mean a few things but mainly carpel tunnel, and this has only stopped me playing completely once but for 6 months.  It was hell, i came to the forum only a handful of times, didn't post. I've always been a bit obsessive with golf and guitar.   Did my hard yards when there were no phones or internet or wheels.  So I sat and crucified my fingers, (and that was just the constant hitting the rew/fwd button on the tape recorder to locate the spot in 'blackdog' that i was trying to work out) lol that was funny Alex.   Anyway where was I, I'm not sure so I'll wrap it up, 'and that's why you never drink diet coke and eat mentos together'
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline CraigB

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #285 on: August 15, 2020, 03:00:51 pm »
Having gone through the frustrations of learning another instrument I agree with many of the comments here.  Best to practice, practice and practice some more and when you can play flawlessly, practice more again.  I also totally agree with the muscle memory and dexterity which I had a problem with previously, and therefore I am much more patient and realistic with my expectation on guitar.

As I have mentioned preciously I have been learning guitar a massive one week, and I am doing the A & D Chords and have just started on the anchor movement practice.

No time limit for me, just someone riding the crest of a wave.

Best success to you
Questions ...

:)

Sent from my STK-LX1 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App