Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 113566 times)

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2020, 10:30:28 am »
Once you've "learnt" the lesson and are sure you know what you have to do then it should become part of your practice routine and you can move to the next lesson. The early lessons are quite short so you'll soon know WHAT you need to do but will need to practice it to get it to the right level.

Just make sure you don't move too far ahead and really do spend time consolidating what you've learnt through practice. If you're honest with yourself you'll know when you should move on. Things don't need to be perfect though.   
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline stuartw

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #271 on: April 11, 2020, 12:20:21 pm »

Very nice to do but I suspect that I will certainly stick to phase 1 for another 2 weeks.
I started at Christmas and don't really feel to have made that much progress! OK, so I know half a dozen chords sort of (the don't generally sound like Justin videos) but can't get them straight away without turning the guitar to check! This is going to be a long slog.

Offline Westlake

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #272 on: May 11, 2020, 07:10:04 pm »
Just my opinion and everyone is a bit different but I’m always a 2 step forward 1 step back kind of learner.

I do have a tiny bit of piano background and pretty decent saxophone experience so I came into this with a bit of musical background that at least made things a bit easier. Not a ton but I think it helped with a slight jumpstart.

Anyway, due to current environment, I needed something to keep my sanity so dusted off the old acoustic guitar that had been in my attic.   Never learned it before and just started searching online.   Came across JG.  I generally play 3-4 hours a day with maybe an hour or so each day as focused learning and drills and the other part just trying to apply skills to play songs I like.  I hate to think about just how much my fingertips were on fire a few weeks ago but the skin thickened quite a bit rather quickly actually.

Started April 22 and have definitely seen a ton of progress.  In the middle of Stage 4 with pretty close to mastering Stage 3.  I record myself every ten hours to listen back to the progress and when you practice hours each day,  the progress is certainly quick.

But anyway,  just my experience the last few weeks and with music in general, a few things that work best for me.

-2 hour practice/playing time.  Half of it learning/drilling.  Half of it applying by playing what you like.  For me, I don’t seem to absorb much after that point and I don’t retain much if I practice less than an hour.  Two hours seems to be that sweet spot for maximum improvement.
-Practicing before you go to bed.   My biggest gains are while I sleep.  I’ll work on a chord change at 11 PM and I can’t break 60 for the life of me.  Sleep on it, wake up in the morning and I’m magically breaking 70 per minute.
-I spend roughly 1/4 of the time advancing and 3/4 refining.  Plowing ahead helps make things I learned in the past much easier.

Offline stuartw

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2020, 09:24:48 pm »

-2 hour practice/playing time.  Half of it learning/drilling.  Half of it applying by playing what you like.  For me, I don’t seem to absorb much after that point and I don’t retain much if I practice less than an hour.  Two hours seems to be that sweet spot for maximum improvement.
-Practicing before you go to bed.   My biggest gains are while I sleep.  I’ll work on a chord change at 11 PM and I can’t break 60 for the life of me.  Sleep on it, wake up in the morning and I’m magically breaking 70 per minute.
-I spend roughly 1/4 of the time advancing and 3/4 refining.  Plowing ahead helps make things I learned in the past much easier.
2 hours a day!! Really? I'm lucky to get 15-30mins a day.

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2020, 12:36:06 am »
I am at 1 - 2h a day as well, but going over 2h more often than sticking to 1h.
Usually pick up the guitar for at least an hour before going to bed.
But sacrificing quite a bit of sleep to be honest, especially finalizing the session with song play along in the app. Up go date with what is available in the new beginner course, moving forward in the app as well on the classic course.
Started about 4 weeks ago.
Also doing the ear training and music theory as well.
Focussing more on motor skills, chords, strumming so technical stuff, less on learning songs other than playing along. Really feel need to improve the tech part, so I can get a decent play along sound.
Do enjoy riffs, scales, etc. Do that from memory without any issue.

Going to pick up guitar pro again as well for play along stuff.

Doing free stuff in another app as well that listens and scores what you are playing. That game effect forces speed, clean playing and rhythm. So that helps as well.

Been playing every day so far, really enjoying it.
Looking at other guitars and gear as well.
Like setting goals if I can manage to get to X or play song Y completely I will allow myself to buy something more.

Next step is to really focus on a few songs I really like, and get that really done properly. Riffs, chords, strumming, getting that together and recording it.
As a parallel to the course.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App