Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 100136 times)

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2019, 08:53:01 am »
You might be lucky but it'll take you ages to get your F chord (and barre chords generally) down to pat, particularly when playing songs. Some people do take to it straight away but it took me months if not a year or more to get to the point where I don't think about it. See how you get on with it in some songs but if you're comfortable you've got it as good as you can at the minute I'd move on. Plenty of songs which don't need it and you'll probably find it Bm that you'll need sooner than F.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #256 on: June 15, 2019, 09:18:33 am »
I agree with Rossco.

I'd suggest move on and retain a song in your practice/playing routine that includes an F.  I found it to be more fun using the chord in a song to keep working at it than doing one-minute-changes and drills.  Perhaps a slower approach but duration to get something to be usable in playing songs doesn't trouble me.

As an example House of the Rising Sun includes an F.  The other benefit of getting really familiar with HOTRS is that later in stage 8, you can move from a strummed version to a finger-picked version.  It is also 6/8 so adds that into your learning.

Offline Cummings

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #257 on: June 18, 2019, 02:24:20 pm »
+1 for just playing.

++1 for playing songs you like!! Even a basic version (using 4 down strums per bar), then advance when you can

++1 for not giving up. Sometime it seems impossible, but you learn, your fingers stretch and you get there

Also, you might find that you should move on with the stages yet you can’t do the songs. Somebody on here said they play the songs around 3 stages back. Solid advice

Another tip that I took was to take lessons. I have 1 every 2 weeks and found them to make a huge difference. The course is brilliant, but to then have that feedback from a tutor is invaluable. Of course, that’s not always possible for everybody

I started 6 months ago and still haven’t advanced from Stage 4. Yet feel like I’m still doing well

Offline Simo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #258 on: July 17, 2019, 02:37:06 pm »
Also, I don't know if it's only me, but I moved to stage 2 when I was at 40/min and the day after I added some A-D-E changes to the stage 2 lessons and I was doing them at 60-70/min. I think that's what he means with not getting stuck with perfection, everything will come easier when your focus (and tension) is on something different.

Offline stefney

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #259 on: February 06, 2020, 07:00:10 am »
I started the lessons 8 days ago and am in phase 1.
so nice to do but also frustrating that it doesn't work out the way I want.
Am now really watching to start with the A chord with the 5th string and with the D chord with the 4th string.
That is harder than I expected.
With the 1 minute changes I am now at 25. I can do more but then everything is false.

Very nice to do but I suspect that I will certainly stick to phase 1 for another 2 weeks.

Offline GregB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #260 on: February 06, 2020, 10:08:09 am »
I started the lessons 8 days ago and am in phase 1.
so nice to do but also frustrating that it doesn't work out the way I want.
Am now really watching to start with the A chord with the 5th string and with the D chord with the 4th string.
That is harder than I expected.
With the 1 minute changes I am now at 25. I can do more but then everything is false.

Very nice to do but I suspect that I will certainly stick to phase 1 for another 2 weeks.

Keep at it and you will see improvement, I'm on stage 4 really but I'm trying to play songs beyond that too and surprised myself at taking really quickly to the Big F chord in that i could get it to ring out clearly in isolation. As you move through each stage I found most chords difficult initially with your fingers touching all the wrong strings and muting them but over time, and as your fingers toughen up and their flexibility improves, it all comes together and you start playing the impossible chords cleanly. One other thing I noted is the more chords you learn, you move from looking at each chord in isolation to realising many chord chages just need you to move one finger here or there. I find playing everyday, even if it's only for 10 or 15 minutes really helps and some days you can really see a step change in progress. It's tough at the beginning and to be fair it's just tough most of the time but all the little victories will hopefully spur you on.

Offline stefney

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2020, 10:24:21 am »
How long did you do on stage1?

Now 2.5 weeks via the app and stil don't get any further than stage 1.
The sounds are good so my fingering is good too. Only the speed won't work.
With the chord changes I rarely get above 30.
Faster will succeed but then I touch all strings or the majority does not sound good.

I am 34 years old. Maybe that's why I take longer to do it? Or is it normal that it is not good enough within 2 weeks?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:50:08 am by stefney »

Offline savarezguy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2020, 10:45:24 am »
Two weeks is not a long time at all. I would suggest to keep on working through stage 1 and take a peek at stage 2 when it gets boring with stage 1. Playing guitar should be fun! But it takes a lot of practice!

Offline GregB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2020, 11:58:45 am »
How long did you do on stage1?

Now 2.5 weeks via the app and stil don't get any further than stage 1.
The sounds are good so my fingering is good too. Only the speed won't work.
With the chord changes I rarely get above 30.
Faster will succeed but then I touch all strings or the majority does not sound good.

I am 34 years old. Maybe that's why I take longer to do it? Or is it normal that it is not good enough within 2 weeks?

I can't remember how long I was on stage 1 but it was definitely longer than 2.5 weeks. Remember you're trying to do things you've never done before.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App