Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 113656 times)

Offline AlexOT

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #240 on: April 01, 2019, 11:50:57 am »
Move forward untill you reach a point where you can still follow the lesson but barely play it, stick to that and play it slower untill you can! Repeat this in your own tempo and every few weeks return to the beginning of the course and review all the lessons.

I am consolidating now and just finished a complete review of the beginner course, even in the first stages I can still pick up little details to improve and it is a great confidence builder!

Also don't forget to just play, I improved as much from following the course as I did from just grabbing the guitar to jam, experiment, test a pedal, try a different plectrum, how many realistic animal noises can you imitate with your guitar, watch overcomplicated super advanced guitar virtuosos and try to play along, play extremely loud/fast/soft, play standing up, in the dark, lying down, play with your teeth, play air guitar, have a lot of fun and make music! ;)

Long story short, be disciplined and structured with the course, but equally have a lot of fun with your guitar!!

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2019, 06:24:43 pm »
Yeah I kinda have the same question, I think I'm gonna stay 3 months each stage, practicing pretty much 1 hour per day. Of course if I still didn't master the stage I'll wait more.
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2019, 06:45:16 pm »
Yeah I kinda have the same question, I think I'm gonna stay 3 months each stage, practicing pretty much 1 hour per day. Of course if I still didn't master the stage I'll wait more.

You don't need to master each stage. Once you can play each chord and do the
One minute change at 40 changes a minute move on.
The funny thing about playing the guitar is the more you learn the easier the things you
have already learnt become.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2019, 09:37:28 pm »
I don't know where everyone gets 60 changes a mi ute from
To Quote Justin right of his beginner course stage 1.

"You should have your One-Minute changes to at least 40 changes in a minute (20 x the pair of changes)."

Here's the whole statement from stage 1 of the beginner course.

WHEN TO MOVE ON TO THE NEXT STAGE?

It's very hard for me to define the point at which you should move onto the next stage. You should understand the content of this stage, but many skills will develop over the course as well.

The real answer is to move on when YOU feel ready. However, I know that it can be hard to tell when you feel ready or not! So, here are some suggestions as to what you should have accomplished before moving on:

You should know all the chords from this stage, D, A and E, from memory. You should have them sounding good (if not perfect), with most of the notes sounding out most of the time. You should have your One-Minute changes to at least 40 changes in a minute (20 x the pair of changes).You should be able to play one or two of the songs from the songbook, even if you have to start and stop a little bit here and there.

Beware of trying to perfect every stage, as that will just lead to a feeling of hopelessness! I'm still trying to perfect simple things and to be honest, I don't think we ever stop improving, so there is no ‘end game' – don't wait until every chord is PERFECT, be happy with good. Perfect will come later! That said, don't be moving on if you are sloppy as a wet sandwich either!

Hope that helps you decide when to move on

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2019, 11:25:09 pm »
"I don't know where everyone gets 60 changes a mi ute from"

Justin's Guitar Begginer Course APP, Stage 1, lesson 8 "One Minutes Changes with A & D"

Quote from the lesson: "What you are aiming for is 60".

But when you look at the individual requirements for each stage you'll see he says get to 40 and move on. I've lost count how many times I've said that and I know Stitch has probably said it 5 times more than me.  No one reads the lesson text these days and its a bug bear for me, as Justin lays it out clear and loud, tells you what to do each step. Note - there's extra stuff in the lesson text that ain't in the video, read it .......... please, to save these old fingers typing the same old stuff.

While I'm here and in case you missed it STRUMMING in 4/4 timing 1 strum per beat 4 beats a bar, ALL the way up to Stage 8. Yes that's what the Man says. KISS until Stage 8. BUT when he introduces the strumming pattern lessons do these but for songs KISS.

BC is all about building a foundation on solid rock (sic) and not on sand. Justin takes a lot of time writing those accompanying notes, pay some respect and read them.

No offence folks but have said this so many times its a bit of a crusade. As I messed so many times before getting here, just want to help folks avoid my early mistakes and say there are no short cuts.

Yeah and I know Stitch is coming from the same place but has 40+ years under his belt. Heck maybe more ay Stitch ?

Anyways, just some personal guidance from an old fool. What do I know ?

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 510
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2019, 07:43:42 am »
mod note - I am going to merge this thread with the thread linked above soon

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2019, 10:57:28 am »
You don't need to master each stage. Once you can play each chord and do the
One minute change at 40 changes a minute move on.
The funny thing about playing the guitar is the more you learn the easier the things you
have already learnt become.

That's interesting, but I do need to practice event tho I learned right? say about 1-3 months?
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 510
« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2019, 11:00:41 am »
For each and every stage of the beginners course you should be selecting a few songs that Justin has specifically chosen to match the chords etc of that stage and try to learn to play them, one strum per bar.
I would urge you not to move on until you have tried to learn some songs.

Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2019, 11:02:20 am »
For each and every stage of the beginners course you should be selecting a few songs that Justin has specifically chosen to match the chords etc of that stage and try to learn to play them, one strum per bar.
I would urge you not to move on until you have tried to learn some songs.

Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.

You mean memorize the chord progressions of songs?
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2019, 11:07:40 am »
But when you look at the individual requirements for each stage you'll see he says get to 40 and move on.

Yeah I forgot about that :P

While I'm here and in case you missed it STRUMMING in 4/4 timing 1 strum per beat 4 beats a bar, ALL the way up to Stage 8. Yes that's what the Man says. KISS until Stage 8. BUT when he introduces the strumming pattern lessons do these but for songs KISS.

You had me until KISS, I have no idead what KISS is, well I only know the band KISS. But I'm already playing 4/4.

Actually I know the term KISS for Keep It Simple Stupid.
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 510
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2019, 12:32:53 pm »
You mean memorize the chord progressions of songs?

No.

Play along at slow speed (or even full speed if you can) with the chords in front of you on a page / in a book / on video with Justin / along with the App.

Memorisation comes with time.

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2019, 12:33:56 pm »
No.

Play along at slow speed (or even full speed if you can) with the chords in front of you on a page / in a book / on video with Justin / along with the App.

Memorisation comes with time.

Oh good because I'm already doing it with Justin's App.
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2019, 10:47:55 am »
Buy Justin’s beginner course book!!

For the first six months of learning guitar, I used Justin’s online videos and text and bought several of his songbooks. They are fantastic and I felt I was progressing well. However there were times when I wanted to revisit a lesson or go over something again or question when to move on and I found that despite using the ‘learning journey’ facility in the dashboard part of the website, I couldn’t keep track of where I was. Maybe it’s an age thing and I’m more used to ‘hard copy’! Anyway, I bought the book and hey presto using the book in conjunction with the website, I can find where I am, I can scribble notes on it and can pick it up and read without needing technology. And there’s stuff in the book that’s not online.

I’ve even bought Justin’s Intermediate Method coursebook and stored it in my guitar drawer ready for future use! (Although I have used the E shape barre chord lesson which was very helpful when tackling barre F).
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline fxrguy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #253 on: May 11, 2019, 01:16:34 pm »
If I had to wait until I mastered the F barre chords to move on from beginner lesson 6 it would be a couple years before I moved into beginner 7. I started Jason's lessons as an advanced beginner, but never studied the barre chords so a lot of this stuff is remedial for me. I move on from stuff I feel I already know reasonably well, and revisit things I don't know well. I revisit barre chords a lot...

Offline bgabriel28

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #254 on: June 14, 2019, 10:47:26 pm »
I've been working through beginner level six for almost two weeks, and the F chord is coming along. When I take my time with it, it sounds fine, but when I try to play it in a song it often sounds buzzy.

Should I move on to step 7, or should I wait until my F chord is really down pat?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App