Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 57497 times)

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2018, 10:52:39 am »
The short answer would be: when you can achieve the mini goals Justin has set up for each stage.

At the end of each stage you should find a set of consolidation requirements which are to be met before you move on.
Thanks and normally I would agree, but for some reason stage 5 is causing me to question if I am meeting them or not but I guess if I can't answer yes immediately, the answer must be no. Just second guessing and confusing myself!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • What next???
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2018, 10:52:53 am »
I always do a ‘sneak peak’, and have a little bit of a try, if it’s too much wait a bit and try again when your comfortably doing your current stage, don’t rush yourself too much, you’ll just get frustrated and irritated, it’s all about patience and persistence.
Having fun learning Guitar and Ukulele, what more could you want?

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2018, 12:24:22 pm »
I always do a ‘sneak peak’, and have a little bit of a try, if it’s too much wait a bit and try again when your comfortably doing your current stage, don’t rush yourself too much, you’ll just get frustrated and irritated, it’s all about patience and persistence.
I understand this approach! I have a degree of impatience that I am working so hard to surpress. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not. Persistence is no issue, thankfully. I don't mind the working across stages if it makes sense and works well together. Just wish I knew in my own head exactly where I was at:)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • What next???
« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2018, 01:48:25 pm »

Just wish I knew in my own head exactly where I was at:)
Yes I have a great deal of empathy with that, I think that recording and submitting something for critique is a great way to find out, you will get nothing but constructive comments and encouragement, I’ve found that it’s really helping me know how I’m doing!
Having fun learning Guitar and Ukulele, what more could you want?

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2018, 02:37:53 pm »
Yes I have a great deal of empathy with that, I think that recording and submitting something for critique is a great way to find out, you will get nothing but constructive comments and encouragement, I’ve found that it’s really helping me know how I’m doing!
I'm kind of building up toward that. I've recorded myself a few times but when I know I'm on camera I can feel it's recording so I almost always mess a little bit of it up:) That said, I agree I probably need to just submit something and get the feedback. No-one, except my wife, has seen me play and outside of being interested for me she doesn't care about the guitar, so I could do with some constructive friendly feedback:) Just gotta build up to it and decide what to submit!

Offline Barry

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2018, 07:27:47 am »
I'm at stage nine and have not really focused on learning songs instead I have focused on skills and 'mastering' each lesson. I want to move on but wonder if I should focus on just songs for a few weeks/months. Also it's taken me a year to get to this point and I still struggle a little with the F chord and my while my pick strumming is fairly good my finder style is developing. What should I do next - focus on songs (I like rockabilly and surf guitar) or move on to intermediate... or a combination of both? And is my progress - a year to reach this stage common? Any help would be of great help. Also I should add Justin's teaching has been astonishingly good.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2018, 09:35:07 am »
A year is OK to get to stage 9, it varies widely. I would definitely start on songs, if you have the beginner songbooks it will be easier. Even if technically you are good learning songs and playing along to them brings in many challenges. I wouldn't do songs exclusively though.
I only really mastered the F chord during the IM course.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 143
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2018, 04:13:58 pm »
Barry if you can't play songs you haven't finished the Beginner Course.
One of the criteria of finishing the BC is to play at least one song from each stage
from beginning to end with few mistakes.
Skills mean nothi g if you can't use them.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 367
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2018, 06:39:07 pm »
Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.

:)

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2018, 04:12:57 pm »
...and the learn more songs...

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #220 on: March 05, 2018, 04:14:31 pm »
Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.

:)

...and then learn more songs...

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline LeftyLoosy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2018, 06:27:03 pm »
I'm a bit baffled you even made it through a whole year without playing songs all the time, Barry. That's what this is all about, isn't it? Yeah, go play along with some songs, dude. Playing along "with a band" is too much fun to miss out on.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App