Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 38101 times)

Offline DavidP

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #195 on: July 04, 2017, 07:19:23 am »
Oh yes, lots of people who L O V E music and guitar like you, Joe, and people active from Australia to the USA ... so not unusual to get quick response.

And no need to be chicken ... this Community is super helpful, incredibly supportive and encouraging.  Any trolling is dealt with swiftly.  So the only stupid question is the unasked question really does apply here.  And the answers are usually helpful and accurate ... and if inaccurate, somebody else quickly corrects  :)

I'd say, when in doubt post a question in General Questions section. 

I'm a beginner myself and no expert on singing, so have vague ideas about your question on singing.  I think you could transpose songs into a different key and in so doing be able to match it to your vocal range.  But the chords might get quite tricky ... not our beginner friendly open chords.

Then there is the use of the capo.  Then you can play the same chord shapes but have changed the pitch/key.  I have no idea if this strategy could be used to lower the pitch.

Quite sure with training that you could improve your singing.  I have no idea to what extent one can broaden your range but imagine with training it would get broader.  I feel that just through singing as I play my singing has improved and range is getting better ... I think.

Have you tried the Gary Jules version of Mad World in Beginner Songbook stage 3?  I don't think I sing that high (or low) and can manage that ... not Tears for Fears but still  :)

Cheers
David

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #196 on: July 04, 2017, 07:30:00 am »
Beginner guitarist and amateur singer here. Absolutely get a capo and experiment. For each fret it's on, the key is raised one half step. At some point it should be high enough so that you can sing an octave lower than you would have before. Does that make sense?

But that won't help if what you really want is to sing along with the original. Regular singing lessons, or just regular singing will increase your range somewhat, but especially make your voice more stable at the edges of your range. You'll find lots of voice warmups and exercises on the net, try googling "vocal range exercises". 
BC Stage 6 started mid-May 2017
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline DavidP

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #197 on: July 04, 2017, 07:38:04 am »
Beginner guitarist and amateur singer here. Absolutely get a capo and experiment. For each fret it's on, the key is raised one half step. At some point it should be high enough so that you can sing an octave lower than you would have before. Does that make sense?
Ah-ha ... now I get it ... I have been wondering how going higher as you go up the neck would help one sing lower  ??? 

Thanks Laila !!

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #198 on: July 04, 2017, 07:50:49 am »
Ah-ha ... now I get it ... I have been wondering how going higher as you go up the neck would help one sing lower  ??? 

Thanks Laila !!
Spot on Laila, and David remember you don't have to play all of the strings - or you could use power chords.
Acoustic: Taylor 214ce, Sigma 00M -15, 1970 Tenada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline DavidP

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #199 on: July 04, 2017, 08:30:35 am »
David remember you don't have to play all of the strings - or you could use power chords.
Hmmm ... not sure I get how that would help.  Haven't got to power chords yet ... will have to experiment when I get there  :)

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
  • Still learning.......
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline DavidP

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2017, 09:08:39 am »
It's in BC stage 7 David.
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-172-G5-powerchord.php
Thanks Darrell

Looking forward to that ...

But next step is record Before You Accuse Me to be well on the way to being OK with stage 5 and then I can start stage 7 ... I consider stage 6 done by posting a couple of songs using big F and using old faithful strumming pattern. 

Will cut myself some slack and continue on (and on and on and on) with 12 bar blues in G until I can play it ... that darn C7  :)  Not going to delay start of stage 7 because of that last piece of stage 4 & 5.

Cheers
David

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #202 on: July 04, 2017, 09:40:43 am »
A little tip on the C7, finger the C first and then just drop the pinkie down in the right place, slowly at first then speed it up until it's in muscle memory then try it in 1 go.

Offline DavidP

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #203 on: July 04, 2017, 09:57:40 am »
A little tip on the C7, finger the C first and then just drop the pinkie down in the right place, slowly at first then speed it up until it's in muscle memory then try it in 1 go.
Thanks Darrell

I'm at the point of slow air changes to C7 with a tendency for pinkie to sometimes land up on the D string rather than G string.

But I am getting there !!

Cheers
David

Offline n1rvana87

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2017, 04:14:17 pm »
so about the lessons in each stage, do you just do one each day until you make it to the practice schedule or do all of them all in one day?

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2017, 04:23:16 pm »
so about the lessons in each stage, do you just do one each day until you make it to the practice schedule or do all of them all in one day?
That depends on how quickly you pick them up. If you pick them up quickly then do all the lessons in the stage. If it takes a bit of time to pick them up then concentrate on the one lesson before moving onto the next lesson. With me the exception to that was when I learned F, because it takes a lot of practice to get right. Once I learned the fingering for F I moved on and kept coming back to it. I was on stage 8 by the time I'd been able to change to and from F with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2017, 05:16:36 pm »

The practice schedule is the daily practice schedule. Hence the seven check boxes.

Do all of the lessons in practice schedule daily (obvious), but you don't have to have everything perfect before moving on to the next stage.

However, you need to be honest with yourself, and do some consolidation of the parts you struggle with in each stage as you proceed with the course.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline ElCid

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2017, 08:55:56 pm »
I'm 65 years old and I'm doing one stage of month. I'm putting in an hour or two a day. And I really miss a day. I'm sure any motivated 17 year old with a lot of time on their hands could do it at twice the speed. But I'm enjoying the journey having a great time and I think Justin's pedagogy pretty damn good!

Sent from my SM-G930V using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App