Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 39276 times)

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2017, 07:08:30 pm »
Personally, I was always working on songs 1 or two stages behind the stage I was learning. I found it took me that long to consolidate the new techniques well enough that I could apply them to a song, so I wouldn't let not being able to do songs for a specific stage hold you back.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2017, 11:01:37 pm »
Go through the stage 8 practice schedule "Things To Remember"

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-189-PRACTICEstage8.php

If you can do these, then move on. As m_c says don't worry about nailing songs for the stages you're learning techniques etc from. Its common for songs to lag a stage or two behind. Just pull it all together during consolidation (BC-199). My 2d.

Toby
 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline AzureWorld

• Good Vibes 0
When to go on to the next stage?
« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2017, 02:08:16 am »
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I started learning to play the guitar this week. I'm going through the BC series and was wondering when I should transition from stage one to stage two. Would it be when I get get one chord per second? I'm mainly having trouble with switching to D chord. I have to put my fingers down on at a time instead of simultaneously on the1st and second string

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
Re: When to go on to the next stage?
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2017, 03:22:55 am »
At the bottom of lesson BC-119 there is a section caled When to move on.
Justin has it all laid out for you.

Offline AzureWorld

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2017, 06:01:19 am »
Thanks stitch, did not see that before. I also have a question regarding the D string. When I change to D, I have to place one finger at a time because it's difficult to put down my middle finger. Do you know if I should focus on putting them all at the same time or continue on?

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 32
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2017, 08:03:31 am »
It takes time to get the change fast but if you practice the changes enough (don't give up trying) and start learning the songs in that stage it will come. It always improves when you star to play songs, Three little birds is a great start, well known and easy to learn, I found it gave me a great sense of achievement and inspired me to do more!
Good luck, keep at it :)
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Tenada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2017, 09:49:54 am »
Azureworld welcome to the forum. Ultimately you will put your fingers down in one go but that'll be a long way off yet (think weeks/months. For now it's absolutely fine to put one finger at a time. Re-read Justin's lesson and take note about the concept of anchor fingers i.e. one finger goes down first then the others follow.

Out of the first three chords D is the hardest but give it a few weeks and you should be improving.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline JordiL90

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2017, 05:44:55 pm »
Hello, new here. I hope I am posting this on the right topic. I have been doing stage 2 and I was wondering if I should move on to stage 3. I can do enough chord changes and can play 3 songs. But my ear training isn't going well. I was wondering if I should continue with stage 2 untill my ear can figure out the chord progressions or move on.

Tanks.

Offline bigbl5

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2017, 01:07:15 pm »
Hello, new here. I hope I am posting this on the right topic. I have been doing stage 2 and I was wondering if I should move on to stage 3. I can do enough chord changes and can play 3 songs. But my ear training isn't going well. I was wondering if I should continue with stage 2 untill my ear can figure out the chord progressions or move on.

Tanks.

No, move on to stage 3 now.  Justin does recommend that you do the ear training, but in a way it is a separate learning path.  Many don't do the ear training at all... some don't do it until much later.  Justin suggests doing it as you go, but it shouldn't prevent you from moving on with the rest of the course.
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline awooly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2017, 10:06:20 am »

Agree, move on.  I'm currently on stage 3, so many more song options with C and G chords.

I'm not focusing on ear training at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline joebelter

• Good Vibes 0
Should I be doing all the songs in order?
« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2017, 04:40:44 am »
  Hi!
 Justin is the BEST.  I know that's overused, but really - I've been a teacher for 35 years and he truly is one of the finest teachers I've seen.
  In any case, I am going through the beginner's course book and got to thinking - should I be playing every single song to complete the course?  I've been playing favorites as I go, but now am wondering if I should have been learning them all.  The thing is, it seemed to me that if I did learn them all (at least at the level I'm trying to do them) it's going to take more time than I could probably devote - until I retire...
  Please advise!
    Joe

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 32
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #191 on: July 04, 2017, 06:00:41 am »
Hey Joe!!!
No there's definitely no need to do that, just a couple from each is sufficient to give you a repertoire.
But what is good to do is when you get to the consolidation stage run through them again updating the way you play them by adding the more sophisticated strumming patterns that you will have been learning or maybe putting your own spin on them.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline DavidP

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #192 on: July 04, 2017, 06:10:45 am »
Hey Joe ....

(Sorry, couldn't resist  :) )

Darrell is spot on ...

I have taken a sneak peak at the consolidation lesson, the last lesson of BC that lists down what you should be able to do and it says you should be able to play ten songs.  Playing a song means right through, no breaks, steady timing with a metronome and that your selection should ideally showcase all the various techniques and skills learned through the Beginner Course.  It is not explicit as to whether you should be able to remember all the chord progressions, though I suppose with enough practise this will probably be the case. Also being able to sing it as you play it is not a specific requirement.

My approach is the same as yours ... to pick a few songs at each stage that I know and can sing - as I go I aim to record and post some of these songs to track progress, get feedback and (more importantly) encouragement - that exercise the lessons of the stage and finally demonstrate (to myself) that I am good to progress.

So I say "thumbs up" !!  Keep doing what you're doing  :)

Cheers
David

Offline joebelter

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #193 on: July 04, 2017, 06:34:22 am »
  Wow, I'm SHOCKED that I got a reply so fast!
 Thanks so much guys.  It really helped - I've been wondering for months!  Too chicken to post.
 I have another burning question that's causing me a real issue, and I don't know if this is the place to ask.
  I have ALWAYS had a very hard time singing songs I've enjoyed over my life.  I  L O V E music.  The trouble is that every artist I want to sing to - the songs are sung too high for me (60's stuff, Beatles (my first love), McCartney, Moody Blues, America, Alan Parsons, Tears for Fears (especially)...  It's really the PITS. 
  Am I stuck? Can I learn to sing higher? Can I find a way to sing lower?  I don't want to ruin the sound of the original recording - I like to sound like the original.
  So...  Is this the place to ask?  Or should I post my questions elsewhere?
   Thanks again,
      Joe

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 32
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #194 on: July 04, 2017, 07:11:35 am »
Get yourself a Capo and adjust the key to suit your voice, just play the open chords in a different place on the neck - remember the your looking for a suitable key so may not need to strum all of the strings.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App